New help with a wideband.....

03Mach04Cobra

GO HOKIES!!!
Established Member
I'm looking into buying a wideband A/F ratio gauge so I can datalog it for Rick to be able to get my tune revisions right on. There are no dyno's in or around my area so I figured this would be the easiest thing for me to do. But I really dont know anything about these things.....What would be the best for me to get? - Any sort of information on these would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Evil Bender

Rabid Roadie
Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
I have the LC-1 and Its very picky about power and ground. If I had to do it over I would get an AEM or Fast dual.

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.

IronTerp

Would that NGK kit include everything I would need to install it??
Or what about this dynojet one:
Dynojet Wide Band 2 Kit with Black Digital Gauge [15-7006] : Lethal Performance, Performance parts for Ford Mustangs

Also, Are they very hard to install or would a shop need to do this?
Can be done at your place fairly easily. They all come with pretty good directions and there's a tons of info here on SVTP. You will need to have someone weld a bung into your midpipe, and you'll need to go to an auto parts store and buy an add-a-fuse for your power requirements. That's about it.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Can be done at your place fairly easily. They all come with pretty good directions and there's a tons of info here on SVTP. You will need to have someone weld a bung into your midpipe, and you'll need to go to an auto parts store and buy an add-a-fuse for your power requirements. That's about it.

Agreed,SVTP has helped a bunch of guy`s with these installs.You can do it.

futureSVT

Established Member
Would that NGK kit include everything I would need to install it??
Or what about this dynojet one:
Dynojet Wide Band 2 Kit with Black Digital Gauge [15-7006] : Lethal Performance, Performance parts for Ford Mustangs

Also, Are they very hard to install or would a shop need to do this?

I got my Dynojet wideband from for $195 shipped
Dynojet Wideband Commander

its just the commander so you will need to buy a gauge.. but worked good for me since i have a speedhut a/f gauge.
DSC04299.jpg

03Mach04Cobra

GO HOKIES!!!
Established Member
Wow I really like that setup! Those speedhut gauges look close to the stock look. If I did it that way would I still be able to datalog the A/F ratio?

IronTerp

Having the gauge display your data and having the ability to datalog the data is two seperate entities requiring two seperate wiring systems. But, it's not difficult to wire either of them up. For the datalogging component, most folks wire the wideband to the handheld tuner, which in turn is wired to a laptop. You will need the appropriate software on the laptop which is readliy available.

prostkr

Established Member
Wow I really like that setup! Those speedhut gauges look close to the stock look. If I did it that way would I still be able to datalog the A/F ratio?

Yes you can have a gauge and still data log. You just hide the controler box under the dash and run your usb cable out when you want to log it.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator

Yes,as mentioned above,you can use a analog out from the w/b controller into the handheld,then into a laptop.SCT has a great ''free'' logging software called Livelink.It`s a great tool to have avaliable to you.Example below.
airfuel.jpg

03Mach04Cobra

GO HOKIES!!!
Established Member
I have livelink on my laptop. I use it with my xcal2 to datalog. So would i just hook the commander up to my xcal with the usb when i want to datalog the a/f. Or would it be more wiring to do?

MalcolmV8

Established Member
I've got both the LC1 and dynojet. I got the LC1 and it definitely has more features etc. but nothing you really need. It's also a PITA I thought to wire up and use compare to the dynojet. The LC1 does not have a separate O2 wire harness. The O2 plugs directly into the main unit which needs to be either under the car or in my case inside the shifter console area but makes for a tight fit.
The dynojet unit has WAY less options. You can't even hook up a laptop to it and configure output voltages or anything. You're stuck with what it ships as which is normally fine though. 0-5 volts which is what most gauges will use.
The dynojet came with a separate O2 harness which made installation so much easier and cleaner. It also makes installing and removing the O2 sensor from the exhaust pipe easier as you just unplug the O2 from the harness instead of pulling the main unit out of the console area and struggling with all that.

The LC1 requires you also wire up an extra LED and calibration button and also requires these pain in the butt free air calibrations and even heater calibrations for a new sensor.

The dynojet does not require any calibrations.

LC1 has two outputs which you can program output voltages on each output via laptop. Nice but you really don't need it in our case. When using it I had one output going to the gauge and the other feeding the data logger.

Dynojet has only one 0-5 volt output that you wire to both the gauge and the data logger.

My LC1 crapped out with but just a few days usage and I had to send it back to Innovate and get a replacement. After ripping all that out (you'll understand after wiring all that up) I said to heck with that and ordered the dynojet and I'm very happy with it. The LC1 sits in the garage shelf now if that tells you anything.

Later
Malcolm

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
I have livelink on my laptop. I use it with my xcal2 to datalog. So would i just hook the commander up to my xcal with the usb when i want to datalog the a/f. Or would it be more wiring to do?

You`ll need a 9pin cable for the x-cal2 and hook it into the 0-5v output from the w/b.If you have the DJWBC you`ll want use the white/yellow for this.
9 pin
Din9.gif

Open Livelink and configure the w/b.I guess there is a dropdown that lets you choose your w/b,but this how i do it.
Right click on Analog 1,you get this.Signal options,then configure analog.
wb.jpg

Then type in this for DynoJet (v*1.6)+10
wb1.jpg

wb2.jpg

03Mach04Cobra

GO HOKIES!!!
Established Member
Thanks for that 03cobra#694 - Im sure I would have never figured that out. Unless its maybe in the instructions for the Commander.

Thanks for all the help guys. I think I'm going to order my speedhut gauges and the DJ commander soon, so If i run into any problems with the install I might be asking more questions on here.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Depending what features you want you might consider the dynojet2 instead of the commander. It's much cheaper. Check them out on dynojet's website.

Users who are viewing this thread