New here and need help

figment521

Established Member
Hello everyone and I said I am new here and I need a little help finding so information. I would greatly appreciate it if someone could post or link to some information on swapping the b heads on my car to a set of c head. I have try the search engine with out much luck.

Thanks for your time.

Last edited:

Toasty

Established Member
Unless you have a donor cobra for cheap or a lot of money to blow, its a waste.

Why would you say that?

99-01 C heads are available NEW on ebay from time to time for about $400 US. Add a used mach1 intake upper/lower for about the same ($400) and some misc throttle cables and bits from Ford and you're done. You keep your coil packs, etc etc etc etc. No other changes required. There are quite a few people on this forum with the swap.

If you looked for good deals and did all the work yourself, the swap would be less than $1000 I think. At that price level, the swap would be marginally beneficial due to the improved head design providing a better power curve and improved low end torque (or so people have stated in this forum).

BMF42

Drive it like u STOLE IT
Established Member
If you looked for good deals and did all the work yourself, the swap would be less than $1000 I think. At that price level, the swap would be marginally beneficial due to the improved head design providing a better power curve and improved low end torque (or so people have stated in this forum).

$1000 makes it sound very interesting.:rockon:

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
Wait a sec Toasty, 99-01 heads are not C heads, they are tumble port heads.;-). It may not be all that bad if you really could do it for under 1000. And Nazman can port the heads for a decent price and with the stock 96-98 cams it could make decent power.

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
But now C heads are a different animal. you will need to swap over to a Mach 1 assembly I believe. Going C head is more expensive but the gains may be a bit more than the tumble port heads.

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
C heads are gonna cost you more than 1000 bucks, once you get all the hardware, unless you really know your way around a mod. engine.

figment521

Established Member
First off thanks for the info. My car is a 1998 Mark VIII. It is the same short block as a 1996 - 1998 Cobra. I am think the head are the same to but with different cams. The car has 181*** mile on the engine and trany.
I am getting a short block from where I work that spun a rod bearing to rebuild for more power. I am not going to go wild with it but here is what i am looking to do. I am going to go with a stroker kit and I would like to use a Kenne Bell supercharger. I know that they make one to fit the heads that I got, but it it non-inter-cooled. I would like to to to the 1999-2001 heads so I can get one with an inter cooler. I would like to use a kit with an inter cooler because I travel to Florida (for NC) two to three time a year(600+ mile one way) to see family and a would like to only build this engine one time. I know that I have swirl port head, and I thought that the c head cam on the 99 - 01 cars. If I am wrong about the c head being for the 99 -01 Cobra I apologize, but the info that I need is what is needed to put a set of 99 head on a 98 engine.
Once agine thanks for you time.

figment521

Established Member
Its not as easy as it seems

OK more info please. The part numbers for the head gasket and the timing part are the same (1998 Mark to 99 Cobra). Is there a difference in the drive belt offset? The timing cover where it bolts to the head? I know that the cover it self different (the Mark timing cover fits a Mark only), but will the 99 Cobra heads seal to 98 Mark timing cover?

I am not try to say you are wrong or anything. I am just looking for info.

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
You will likely need to switch to a 99 Cobra timing cover. The covers for the 96-98 Cobra's are the same as the 99 Cobra even though they have different heads(B heads 96-98, tumble port 99-01). The 01 Cobra I believe shares the same cover as 03-04 Mach 1. So the question is is the Mark cover and the 96-98 Cobra cover interchangeable? I'm guessing its not.

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
I always thought b heads flowed way better than c heads...Am i wrong? I mean the ports volume is bigger than other 4v

Yes but they lack velocity especially down low in the RPM. The B heads really start to shine with more boost and higher RPM. So they really dont surpass the C heads until you get into the 1000+rwhp range.

figment521

Established Member
You will likely need to switch to a 99 Cobra timing cover. The covers for the 96-98 Cobra's are the same as the 99 Cobra even though they have different heads(B heads 96-98, tumble port 99-01). The 01 Cobra I believe shares the same cover as 03-04 Mach 1. So the question is is the Mark cover and the 96-98 Cobra cover interchangeable? I'm guessing its not.

No the question is will the tumble port heads form a 99 Cobra fit a 98 style engine. I am petty sure the difference in the Mark cover and the Cobra is in the belt tensioner assembly, and I have a Mark so I need to use the Mark cover.

The 96-98 Cobra's use the same cover as the 99? Will try to confirm this at work tomorrow. So the tumble port heads for a 99 will seal to a 98 cover? If so then the 99 tumble port head will fit a 98 block and cover but need an 99 intake as well. Which I don't need because I am looking to go with a Kenne Bell supercharger.

This does make sense right?

Users who are viewing this thread