New house build, need ideas

PhoenixM3

Hello Kitty Slayer
Established Member
Premium Member
Quietrok (sp?) is a Sheetrock with a rubber membrane for reducing noise. We had the wall facing the street lined with it. I don’t like to hear traffic noise.

wizbangdoodle

Inslee is an Idiot
Established Member
Premium Member
All good suggestions. I really like to hear about the specific brands that you guys have used.

Wife is sold on Wolf kitchen appliances. Looks like that budget is blown to hell.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Bearbo

Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Wife like the red knobs or something. Own a Capital, like you see on Food Network. It is an absolute beast. Do not know where you live but it is best to compare brands in person. If not, I recommend AJ Madison.

Hood vents...Modernaire...drop the mic.

Radiant floor heat. Not sure if it is the same but have heated floors here. Get them in bath floors, kitchen floors and garage floors. Also get heated shower walls.

wizbangdoodle

Inslee is an Idiot
Established Member
Premium Member
Wife like the red knobs or something. Own a Capital, like you see on Food Network. It is an absolute beast. Do not know where you live but it is best to compare brands in person. If not, I recommend AJ Madison.

Hood vents...Modernaire...drop the mic.

Radiant floor heat. Not sure if it is the same but have heated floors here. Get them in bath floors, kitchen floors and garage floors. Also get heated shower walls.
Heated shower walls? I've never heard of that.

For those recommending radiant floor heat, are you talking about using water in tubes or just electric elements under the flooring? Anyone have a source for radiant floor supplies? Have you installed it yourself? I really want to go this route, but it seems so expensive.

Bearbo

Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
You can use either. If you use under wood floors I believe you have to use water. I used electric mats in the bathroom floors. Nice and toasty.

ford fanatic

Four Eyed Freak
Established Member
Water. I have a friend who did it and uses a wood fired boiler, but you can also use gas. Having a heated living area over top, you probably wouldn't need a whole lot of heat in the garage with radiant.

wizbangdoodle

Inslee is an Idiot
Established Member
Premium Member
The structure is not typical of houses around here. It's post and beam construction and gives us a few challenges when it comes to HVAC. And if we go the radiant floor heat, we'll need to add AC. How have you guys done your AC?

lOOKnGO

Keep'um smiling
Established Member
Electric is the cheapest and the easiest radiant heat. If you don't plan to be there regularly, it would probably be the best choice for small localized areas and be controlled remotely prior to arrival. The most efficient way to create hydroelectric radiant heat in a floor is with gas or propane. If available it is hands down the best in every day conditioning. However to achieve cost to use, you need to be residing there on a more permanent basses. Boiler heat with radiators is also very affective. Hydronic radiant heat can be achieved with a small wall hung unit similar to and including Rinnai type.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wizbangdoodle

Inslee is an Idiot
Established Member
Premium Member
Digging up my old thread. Thought I'd post a picture.

I've got my radiant tubing in the concrete and will be installing more in the 2nd floor joists soon. The picture here is about a week old and I have a good portion of the floor joists up and some sheeting laid.
20180905_141518.jpeg

rborden

Established Member
Looks like some good progress is being made.

Run any surround sound, ethernet, hdmi cables, and cable tv wires once framing is done and their corresponding wallplates after drywall is in.

HDMI definitely if you want to connect tv's on different levels so everyone can watch the same thing (like for a Super Bowl party) but maybe the elders have trouble with going up and down stairs but the fun room is downstairs.

Also look into IRIS (available at Lowe's) and NEST for wireless hvac control, sprinkler system control, lighting automation. All will have mobile apps you can control them from. They all also work with Alexa from google.

The Liftmaster 8' belt drive model 8550W has wifi and an app you can use to open/close the garage door and check the status of it from your phone. That opener is also virtually silent, so there's no loud rattling or clanking from chains or screw drives. (wifi is great for opening so UPS/FedEx/USPS can leave pkgs in garage securely) or if friends or relatives from out of town come to visit you don't have to give them a key. (If you have a door larger than 8' call any local garage door and ask if they have a 9' or 10' rail.) It also comes with a battery backup, so grab a $50 keypad to go with it just in case the internet goes down.

wizbangdoodle

Inslee is an Idiot
Established Member
Premium Member
Great suggestions. Had planned on running ethernet through the entire house.
The garage doors are 14' and 12' high and had the liftmaster system on my old house and really liked it, so will definitely be going with that again.

Now, if I can only get the roof on...

rborden

Established Member
Great suggestions. Had planned on running ethernet through the entire house.
The garage doors are 14' and 12' high and had the liftmaster system on my old house and really liked it, so will definitely be going with that again.

Now, if I can only get the roof on...

a commercial garage door company should be able to get you squared away on the rails then.

good luck! excited to see finished results.

Stanley

Established Member
Premium Member
Put outlets everywhere! I have them all over the garage and game room and it's really nice. Put a 220v outlet in the garage just in case. The previous owner of my house put hard pipe in the garage for airlines. I had him leave it, but I haven't hooked into it yet.
If you need to trim for budget do that on things easy to change later. Spend the money on things like cabinets that are expensive and a pain in the ass to do later.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
Are you doing the work yourself?

Is the link provided the cost for materials and you find yourself a GC to build it?

It seems like you could have a decent place with a nice shop for $170k.

wizbangdoodle

Inslee is an Idiot
Established Member
Premium Member
Are you doing the work yourself?

Is the link provided the cost for materials and you find yourself a GC to build it?

It seems like you could have a decent place with a nice shop for $170k.
A lot of it yeah. I'm up in the 2nd floor right now laying subfloor.

$170k would be great, except we're in the Seattle area in King county. Could probably quadruple that price.

Anyone know of any good framers that need work?

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
I love my steam shower. Don’t think I’d live in a house without one at this point. That, and heated bathroom floors.

Keep in mind when buying faucets/etc, it does you no good to buy shit that is guaranteed forever. Fixtures get changed every 15-20 years because they go out of style.

PhoenixM3

Hello Kitty Slayer
Established Member
Premium Member
Digging up my old thread. Thought I'd post a picture.

I've got my radiant tubing in the concrete and will be installing more in the 2nd floor joists soon. The picture here is about a week old and I have a good portion of the floor joists up and some sheeting laid.View attachment 1516085
I hope you know where those tubes are located if you intend on installing a lift..... looking good!

Users who are viewing this thread