New info on "tick"

kj385

Established Member
I talked to my local service rep today. He said Ford looks to be coming out with a 2nd revisement in the head to fix the tick. Anybody else hear this?
I've had both pre and post 11/02 heads and they both tick. I hope this will be it.

TRBO VNM

haven't read about that, however there apparently is another fix some dealers and owners have found. there is some metal on the valve cover that can be shaved off because the valve guides or whatever they are, are knocking on it.

YoungCobra

aka BigBlackCobra
Established Member
This is a dumb question but here it goes.
If I pulley my car and there is a recall on our heads, will it be covered under warranty?
I suppose the best thing to do would be to diagnose the car beforehand and document the tick before any Pulley swap. Then they can't blame the pulley for the "tick" and replace my head.
Does that sound OK?

nuxx

Established Member
UGH... I've been told to wait 60 days by my dealership...
-Peter

03gobluecobra

torque steer sucks
Established Member
I have talked with Lidio at alternative auto about the tick. He is a very well respected man as far as high performance mechanics go. He says that the tick is specifically caused by a part of the head that is machined incorrectly, which sounds exactly like what was just suggested. He also said that overheating isn't really a cause, and that doing the apten cooling mods won't prevent the tick. Both of those things make total sense, as many stock cobras get it, and there are many KB cobras that don't. Also, everyone seems to get the tick after a couple thousand miles, which means its something thats wrong with the head to begin with, not something that randomly develops.

riplightning

Established Member
I take my car to the dealership tomorrow April 6th to meet with the SVT Engineer regarding the "tick". I am on my second head and it is still ticking. My car was built pre 11/02.

I will post back when I hear something.

Users who are viewing this thread