New JPC/RGR engine Kicks Butttttt

Don's Bolt

Blown Stang
Established Member
Just want to give a shout out to the crew at JPC racing for the new RGR long block. It is so much better than the Livernois long block that didn't even last one year.

This engine is so much smoother, hasn't had any of the issues I had with the Livernois long block, and Aaron and Justin are so much nicer to deal with.

I wish I had known last year what I know now, as I would have gone to JPC last year, and saved all the headaches I had with Livernois.

Specs of my new motor
RGR short block, diamond pistons, at 11:1 compression, RGR stage 3 heads, with coyote support system trick flow valve springs, Ford Racing Boss 302 cams, ATF timing chain gear, Billet oil pump gear, VMP supercharger, with 8 rib pulleys, Fore fuel system, ID 1300 injectors, and a custom cold air intake I made out of a JLT big mouth intake, and a Ford Racing 123 MM Mass air meter housing

I am not saying we didn't have any issues, there were a few tuning issues we had to iron out, but the tune is pretty much where I want it right now, and it put down 761 RWHP with only 14 lbs of boost. I have a pulley setup I can get a few more LBS of boost, so bet it is capable of running close to 800rwhp, but that will have to wit till March when I can get back to JPC for some more tuning

All in all I am very happy with this setup, unlike Livernois they listened to what I really wanted, and built the engine I wanted, not what they though I should have

So thanks JPC, and a few pics

Attachments

• IMG_3200.JPG
    IMG_3200.JPG
    61.9 KB · Views: 671
  • heads.jpg
    heads.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 652
  • breather.jpg
    breather.jpg
    227.5 KB · Views: 694
  • breather2.jpg
    breather2.jpg
    165.2 KB · Views: 679

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
So you don't like Livernois lol.. Got it :)

J/k, glad you're happy man that's what matters at the end of the day

Don's Bolt

Blown Stang
Established Member
Thanks, wish I didn't have to spend the money on this motor, but nice not having all the stress I had from the other engine, which was never right. This year no stress, last year nothing but stress

It is a much better feeling

_Snake_

Established Member
Try not to blow this one up like your last one.

We just wanted to take the time to update the community on this. We were able to discuss the engine situation with the parties involved that were contracted for the teardown and inspection work on the engine. We were able to confirm that the engine's failure was 100% due to detonation, and a severe amount of it at that. Upon full inspection of the engine they found no fault on assembly, and they were able to tell that it was built as we stated it was.

The pistons were confirmed at zero deck but due to the pistons being destroyed by lack of proper tuning it collapsed the skirts and allowed the pistons to hit the head. We delayed posting this information to allow the OP to clear this up himself as this info is over a week old, but it looks like that is not going to happen unfortunately.

Our hope was that the OP had wanted to get to the bottom of the failure, and get his car back to running status. This is something that we still were willing to help with even after confirmation that it was indeed severe detonation that caused the engine to fail. Unfortunately, it looks like the truth was not what the OP wanted, but rather the goal was to simply try to shift the blame on us, and slander us to try to have us pay for someone else's mistake.

We're not sure why the tuner is not mentioned for the blame. Nor any other potential source, heck it could have lost a fuel pump, or had something else cause it, but we definitely were not at fault on this.

We are always here for our customers, and even try to help when not at fault. This instance will not make us change that philosophy at all, but it does remind us that not everyone conducts themselves as honestly as we strive to be.

The most disappointing part is that most of the people have read negative comments on us, and either didn't read to the end, or if they read the thread before any of our side was shared, will never see the additional information in this post.

Livernois prides itself not to leave any customer out to dry especially if it something we did.

We expect an apology from the customer for the untruthful comments.

TVSF150FX4

Established Member
Just want to give a shout out to the crew at JPC racing for the new RGR long block. It is so much better than the Livernois long block that didn't even last one year.

This engine is so much smoother, hasn't had any of the issues I had with the Livernois long block, and Aaron and Justin are so much nicer to deal with.

I wish I had known last year what I know now, as I would have gone to JPC last year, and saved all the headaches I had with Livernois.

Specs of my new motor
RGR short block, diamond pistons, at 11:1 compression, RGR stage 3 heads, with coyote support system trick flow valve springs, Ford Racing Boss 302 cams, ATF timing chain gear, Billet oil pump gear, VMP supercharger, with 8 rib pulleys, Fore fuel system, ID 1300 injectors, and a custom cold air intake I made out of a JLT big mouth intake, and a Ford Racing 123 MM Mass air meter housing

I am not saying we didn't have any issues, there were a few tuning issues we had to iron out, but the tune is pretty much where I want it right now, and it put down 761 RWHP with only 14 lbs of boost. I have a pulley setup I can get a few more LBS of boost, so bet it is capable of running close to 800rwhp, but that will have to wit till March when I can get back to JPC for some more tuning

All in all I am very happy with this setup, unlike Livernois they listened to what I really wanted, and built the engine I wanted, not what they though I should have

So thanks JPC, and a few pics

What fuel r u using on the 14lbs setup and which pulley combination

Don's Bolt

Blown Stang
Established Member
It had a Fore fuel system with twin 450 lph Walbro / TI Automotive pumps
Race fuel Gulf GT 114
Street fuel 93 always with torco

Tuner VMP, I don't blame Justin, it was dyno tuned by him, and he personally tuned it at the track at the NMRA race in Bradenton

The only issue that may have happened in the initial break. I was told it had limiters for the cams, found out they installed lockouts. So for the breakin, it was tuned for limiters, but really had lockouts

Flcracker

Established Member
I was just drooling over the RGR block last night. Just to be sure, is that their 344 cubic inch short block you got there? Also, if you don't mind me asking, how much did it end up costing? Thank you.

Don's Bolt

Blown Stang
Established Member
I was just drooling over the RGR block last night. Just to be sure, is that their 344 cubic inch short block you got there? Also, if you don't mind me asking, how much did it end up costing? Thank you.

No it is a stock 302 cubic inches. prices are on JPC's web page. It is hard to say what just a engine would cost, as I did a few extras, and part of my build was removing the old motor, disassembling the old motor, re installing new motor, tuning, Though it wasn't cheep. Most of the money was in the heads, RGR's specialty is the heads

Scott8583

Addicted to Corn!
Established Member
Very Nice! :rockon:

My gues with the old motor was you ran too much boost on shit pump gas... Do your self a favor and switch to E85 100% of the time. If E85 isn't available atleast run 50/50 race gas all the time.

Your ported heads look sweet! I hope you did something with your lower intake. Look at my build thread, the intake ports are smaller then unported head ports.

Big Q

Established Member
I've looked at the RGR shortblock before on JPC, so the the $1675 isn't the cost of sleeving the block it's just the supports that can be bought for $325?

Don's Bolt

Blown Stang
Established Member
Very Nice! :rockon:

My gues with the old motor was you ran too much boost on shit pump gas... Do your self a favor and switch to E85 100% of the time. If E85 isn't available atleast run 50/50 race gas all the time.

Your ported heads look sweet! I hope you did something with your lower intake. Look at my build thread, the intake ports are smaller then unported head ports.

It really doubt it was a fuel issue, I ran the same boost on my stock motor for 3 years with no issue, my rwhp on the stock motor was only 20rwhp less than the built motor. My stock motor had a boost a pump, and stock roush injectors. The motor that crapped out on me had bigger injectors, and the Fore fuel system. The stock motor was a VMP e-mail tune, the built motor had a real dyno tune, and tuned at the track by Justin. It was just not as good of a motor than my stock motor.

Even the first startup it wasn't right, but the main failure was a stock ford cam chain gear that failed. I just don't know how a engine builder tells you not to use a lower billet cam chain gear. So my advice to anyone building a new motor make sure you get a ATF cam chain gear. If that gear didn't fail, it would have still been running

2003mach1

Established Member
I've looked at the RGR shortblock before on JPC, so the the $1675 isn't the cost of sleeving the block it's just the supports that can be bought for $325?

Doesn't Livernoise charge $1900 to sleeve a block? No way I would pay $1675 for supports if it only cost $225 more for sleeves.

Rich D

Large Member
Established Member
Glad to see you got the car back together and are happy with it, Don. Congrats!

-Rich D

Users who are viewing this thread