New KB installed - now car dies at idle?

f2fast4u

Established Member
Got the new Kenne Bell 13psi setup installed along with the boost-a-pump and KB cold airkit. Looks good, runs good... except for when slowing down to stop at red light or stop signs. Also, the idle can drop/stump between gear shifts (if you coast with the cluth depressed too long).

Half the time, the car will just "lose" his idle and die. It reminds of a 5.0L engine (Fox) that needs the computer reset via the IAB for the idle. The other half the times are fine. Another stated is at part-throttle and no-throttle (idle) he gets confused.

There were no problems with the install, all pretty straightforward.

So, is this new equipment just something the processor has to re-learn, or is there a way to re-establish the idle, or what?

I picked the car up yesterday afternoon, dies 5 times getting home. 4 more times back to town. Gets old quick.

Thanks, Fred

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and liv
is there some reason why, after the 2nd time, you didnt simply turn around and take it back to the installer?

get your multimeter out, and search this forum for how to set your TPS voltage. also search this forum for IAC and check your idle air controller functionality.

Fastford

Established Member
It is in your Chip. What TB are you useing? what chip? BAP? injectors? The stalling is from the position of the mass air. Most problems with KB installs are the Tune-ups. I had a few drivablity issues with mine in the begining but after gettting tune done by APTEN Performance, I now have a 550hp monster.

bassin247

hates reposts
Established Member
Originally posted by ShelbyGuy
is there some reason why, after the 2nd time, you didnt simply turn around and take it back to the installer?

get your multimeter out, and search this forum for how to set your TPS voltage. also search this forum for IAC and check your idle air controller functionality.

Judging from his first post, he did the install himself.

What chip are you using?

Are you using an after market TB? If yes, did you specify that to KB? What did you set the tps voltage to?

Are you using the stock injectors? If no, did you specify that to the chip burner?

Are you using the stock MAF? Did you return the MAF to the stock position?

Try replacing the stock air box. Maybe there is something wrong with the KB CAI.

FuShnickens

Get It On!
Established Member
re: the kb cai, did you put the maf at the same position it was at before? also, did you take the maf screen out? if so, try putting it back in. if that doesn't help, try putting the k&n right off the maf adapter.

f2fast4u

Established Member
ShelbyGuy - when I picked the car the installer informed me of the dying problem... but he is not a tuner. Setting TPS and IABC are things I didn't know about the 03' on, but I will search and find out. I know these things very well on 5.0L's.

Fastford - Stock injectors, stock TB, stock everything except the Boost-a-pump (KB's chip). The mass air is installed in the same position as it was stock.

bassin247 - The chip is from KB. I filled out their information sheet and gave them the catch code for my computer. I will have to check the TPS (was out of town all day today). Stock injectors and TB, all info supplied to KB upfront. I will play tomorrow with the cold air kit.

NightEnforcer - I took an 600 mile road trip today in my Mach 1... so I just got back in.

FuShnickens - maf screen was re-installed. I will try the K&N tomorrow.

Thanks for the info, all... Fred

Last edited:

FuShnickens

Get It On!
Established Member
good luck fred! i'm fairly sure the idle/stalling issues were w/ the cai - i had the same issues until i put the screen back in.

f2fast4u

Established Member
OK - update time. After reading the responses, seemed like the CAI was the first place to start. So, this morning I pulled the unit out (remember my screen was still in the maf all along) and attached that huge K&N filter directly to the maf... like my 5.0L's. Been driving all morning in stop and go traffic with a/c on... car runs again like a stocker (idle wise). So hopefully that was it. I can only surmise that having that large amount of flex tubing directly in front of the maf is not good. Maybe Anderson will come out with a power pipe for this rig soon. But, bottom line right now is all is fine! Thanks for the inputs.

Fred

stangin

Established Member
Originally posted by f2fast4u
OK - update time. After reading the responses, seemed like the CAI was the first place to start. So, this morning I pulled the unit out (remember my screen was still in the maf all along) and attached that huge K&N filter directly to the maf... like my 5.0L's. Been driving all morning in stop and go traffic with a/c on... car runs again like a stocker (idle wise). So hopefully that was it. I can only surmise that having that large amount of flex tubing directly in front of the maf is not good. Maybe Anderson will come out with a power pipe for this rig soon. But, bottom line right now is all is fine! Thanks for the inputs.

Fred

Anderson states they will not make a power pipe as there is no horsepower in it they say.. try these guys:

http://www.morpheusperformance.com/additional.html

OCCOBRA

Picture Whirled Peas
Established Member
I was going to buy the KB Cai, but reading this board there was nothing but stalling issues using it. Went with the K&N and never looked back.

Users who are viewing this thread