new knee

wally9404

Established Member
i am on the mend from the knee replacement.walking without a cane and doing pretty good,surgery was the 6th of december. i see the dr on the 6th of january and then i get released, if anyone out there is thinking of getting a replacement go for it. i cant tell you what it is like to be able to walk pain free. recovery really wasnt that bad considering my age [65] you younger guys with football and other sports injuries should really consider this.

type911

Heave To....
Established Member
Here I thought I was getting to old to have it done at 30. Congrats on your new Mod. J/K I need to have it done but keep puting it off. My knee has been in need of replacement since I was 17. I lied to get into the Marine Corps and am still paying the price. I should have it done ASAP while my body still heals reletively quickly.

PonyFever

'03 DSG vert 3816 of 5082
Established Member
Congratulations and best wishes for a full recovery. Body mods are the toughest decisions but with the best rewards sometimes.

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
type911 said:
Here I thought I was getting to old to have it done at 30. Congrats on your new Mod. J/K I need to have it done but keep puting it off. My knee has been in need of replacement since I was 17. I lied to get into the Marine Corps and am still paying the price. I should have it done ASAP while my body still heals reletively quickly.

not many surgeons would put a total knee replacement in a patient under 50. traditional knee replacements were meant for people in their 60's and 70's. these are people who are not going to be nearly as active as someone in their 30's. if you received a total knee at 30, you'd wear it out by 45. revisions are more likely to fail, but if it didn't, you'd need another one at age 65. unless you find a quack for a surgeon, there are other alternatives that will allow you to put off the total knee until at least 55.

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
Mr. Mach-ete said:
Titanium?

most likely:

new femur-(upper portion of knee)--cobalt/chrome, or oxinium
new tibia-(lower portion of knee)--ultra high molecular weight polyethylene-UHMWPE (plastic) on top of a titanium or cobalt/chrome baseplate
new patella-UHMWPE (plastic)

sharkbite

Filthy
Established Member
Cool! How many ft. lbs. are you putting down now? At your age I probably wouldn't have even considered it. I've been lucky enough to make it with only a few close calls to the knee area.

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
wally9404 said:
i am on the mend from the knee replacement.walking without a cane and doing pretty good,surgery was the 6th of december. i see the dr on the 6th of january and then i get released, if anyone out there is thinking of getting a replacement go for it. i cant tell you what it is like to be able to walk pain free. recovery really wasnt that bad considering my age [65] you younger guys with football and other sports injuries should really consider this.

congrats and good luck, remember to follow-up with your orthopod at scheduled intervals (every year, every 2-3 years, or whatever) to get x-rays. even though your knee may feel just fine, you always want to get x-rays to check for any loosening.

OZ Dude

Going Crazy Down Under!
Established Member
Congrats on the new swingin stick Wally!

Like kirks5oh said - make sure you take that thing in on it's service intervals and get it checked. No point in going to all this effort if ya don't look after it!!

At 21 the doc said I had the knee of a 60yo due to kicking the crap outa myself through sport. I'm now late 30's and the work he did has given me relatively pain free mobility which should last another 10-15 but after that, it's titanium all the way!

Pity you don't have an 03 Cobra Wally - you'd be a Terminator in a Terminator :)

Good luck with the healing process and remember, ask for cute physios, they help keep the pain away!

Oz

type911

Heave To....
Established Member
kirks5oh said:
not many surgeons would put a total knee replacement in a patient under 50. traditional knee replacements were meant for people in their 60's and 70's. these are people who are not going to be nearly as active as someone in their 30's. if you received a total knee at 30, you'd wear it out by 45. revisions are more likely to fail, but if it didn't, you'd need another one at age 65. unless you find a quack for a surgeon, there are other alternatives that will allow you to put off the total knee until at least 55.

I dont realy need a whole knee. I need two ligaments and some miniscus work. If theres any left. My ACL,MCL ligaments are toast. I have had to do alot of muscle work to keep from doing more damage and wear my knee braces for any activity that is greater then a walk. When in the Corps. My knee was always going out and it was tough. I know that set me back even further.

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
type911 said:
I dont realy need a whole knee. I need two ligaments and some miniscus work. If theres any left. My ACL,MCL ligaments are toast. I have had to do alot of muscle work to keep from doing more damage and wear my knee braces for any activity that is greater then a walk. When in the Corps. My knee was always going out and it was tough. I know that set me back even further.

if you're in your 30's and your knee gives out during sports, or daily activities, you should have it operated on-it sounds like you've done quite a bit of rehab to strengthen your quads, to compensate for the missing ACL. if your knee locks up, causing you to not be able to straighten it, that represents a meniscal tear. the vast majority of MCL tears will heal without surgery.

sounds like you need an arthroscopic ACL reconstruction with some partial meniscus removal. keep in mind that the ACL surgery entails a real committment to rehab (but is sounds like you're committed) for the most benefit. good luck

type911

Heave To....
Established Member
kirks5oh said:
if you're in your 30's and your knee gives out during sports, or daily activities, you should have it operated on-it sounds like you've done quite a bit of rehab to strengthen your quads, to compensate for the missing ACL. if your knee locks up, causing you to not be able to straighten it, that represents a meniscal tear. the vast majority of MCL tears will heal without surgery.

sounds like you need an arthroscopic ACL reconstruction with some partial meniscus removal. keep in mind that the ACL surgery entails a real committment to rehab (but is sounds like you're committed) for the most benefit. good luck

I had it scoped in 92. The doc said I should have an acl replaced with my kneecap tendon or cadaver doner. Can they do that with the scope these days. my knee is real sloppy at rest.

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
type911 said:
I had it scoped in 92. The doc said I should have an acl replaced with my kneecap tendon or cadaver doner. Can they do that with the scope these days. my knee is real sloppy at rest.

most surgeons use 2 of your hamstring tendons (you can live without them), or allograft (cadaver tendon). some will use patellar tendon, but this can occasionally cause some mild chronic knee pain, especially when kneeling.

the surgery is done with the assistance of the scope. you should have 3 small 1cm incisions for the scope, and a 2 inch incision for fixing the ACL graft to your leg.

Users who are viewing this thread