New law comming to town

sapper

Established Member
Our city counsel, in their infinite wisdom, have decided that car emission control should apply to sound as well as smog since noise is a type of pollution.
The new law, which is expected to get passed, will not allow any car to make more exhaust noise than it does stock.
So our much to quiet 03's would not pass emmissions here in good ol Albuquerque NM if a decent exhaust system is installed.:gt:

Anyone else out there have a city law like this?

Smrgol

Actually, what's really interesting is that a law already exists in the current Traffic Code of the City of Albuquerque. So I'm guessing there is more to this "new" code than muffler sound levels. Probably some rider or other weasle wording nonsense. Perhaps even stronger penalties. I dunno.

So, we were screwed already but APD just hasn't bothered to enforce it to date. I'd guess (I'm hoping) that enforcement will follow with probable cause. In other words, if you are already behaving stupidly they'll use the old or the new law to make it harder on you :). But I can't see them *really* cracking down on *everyone* because I know truck owners with modified exhausts who did it for the mileage. Also, a large percentage of APD play with their cars too.

We'll just have to wait and see. And I just put my headers and x-pipe on :p .

ArkangelX3

Established Member
Its also illegal, to go ONE mile an hour over the posted Speed. But we know everyone does. Dont worry bout it. Keep your car in tip top shape, and the cops, will pass you by and you can tell em if you ever get stopped, its track/show car. They respect stuff like that, seeing it in good shape, trust me i know.

kom

Established Member
Its going to be very difficult for them to enforce. Who is subject to be ticketed, everybody that come into the city or just city residents. What about visitors with loud exhaust? You need to get in touch with SEMA and let them know. They've been very successful in stopping the implementation of laws like this that hurt our sport.

BrianR

Mild Mannered
Established Member
Originally posted by sapper
Our city counsel, in their infinite wisdom, have decided that car emission control should apply to sound as well as smog since noise is a type of pollution.
The new law, which is expected to get passed, will not allow any car to make more exhaust noise than it does stock.
So our much to quiet 03's would not pass emmissions here in good ol Albuquerque NM if a decent exhaust system is installed.:gt:

Anyone else out there have a city law like this?

That's the same way the law reads for Washington state...

Brian

Lomancobra

Established Member
I imagine that if you get the work done before the law passes that you will not have to pass that. Because if you got the work done first it still is your legal right to do what you want to the car. If they pass a new law that makes you have quieter cars, thats not your problem. You just paid all this money for a new exhaust system which was legal when you got it installed. I can't see them making you pay out of your pocket to put the old exhaust on. I bet it will only be in effect for cars purchased after the date of the law passing.
Isn't it true that antique cars don't need to pass emissions? Thats because when you bought the car everything was perfectly legal, and if you had to pass today's standards, then the car would never be driveable.
My point is that I don't think they can enforce a law on cars that had the work done previous to the law taking effect. Either way, that is bullshit. I think if they screw you over you should get the loudest sound system in the world put in your car and go around blasting it with the windows open everywhere. After all isn't that noise pollution two? What about planes flying overhead, you should stop them 2. And fire engines and ambulances must be silenced.
IMO its a lot safer to have a loud car. If you are riding in a residential area, it sends out a "don't step foot in the road" type noise for kids and animals. And if your not in a residential area then who cares about the noise.
Litigate, take them to the supreme court! :cuss:

dmreitz

Established Member
Lansing, IL (Chi. Suburb on Indiana border)
The cops will probably be cool about it, but if not, that's the beauty of bolt-ons... if you do get a ticket, then swap out your new exhaust for the stock system before your court date... then plead not guilty to the noise violation charge... if there's proof to be had, then tell the judge that your car is there and you will gladly start it up for anyone to judge themselves... worth a shot anyway...

Also, don't know how often you need to be emissions tested but if that's where they will grab you, then toss on your stock system before you go... take it off afterwards...

Here in Chicagoland, we don't have to have new cars tested until 4 or 5 years after they are made, and then I think it's every 2 - 4 years after that...

sapper

Established Member
I do not think the cops will go out and give tickets for this. What I think will happen is, you will not be able to pass the emissions test. That is when they will check. Currently they just check to make sure the cats are there. Now they will check if the exhaust is stock also.

I hope this just blows over. But then why go and pass laws that won't get inforced. :bored:

slow lane

proud daddy
Established Member
enforcement

We have a noise ordinance that covers vehicles in our county. I'm guessing that it would be the very last ordinance that the sheriff would enforce. A number of my neighbors have open header cars that they drive to the track or simply cruise on Friday or Saturday night.

Ordinances like those are so that if friends of my neighbor park near my house and leave their cars running, when I call the police (and I do) they can actually do something about it.

Have no fear unless you're pis*ing someone off.

harry gilbert

Diehard Ford Fan
Established Member
Originally posted by Lomancobra
I imagine that if you get the work done before the law passes that you will not have to pass that. (Snip)
My point is that I don't think they can enforce a law on cars that had the work done previous to the law taking effect. Either way, that is bullshit. (Snip) Litigate, take them to the supreme court! :cuss:

Respectfully, you may be underestimating how much it will cost to litigate. What you can / can't do totally depends on how the law is written. It either "grandfathers" existing situation, or enacts a retroactive ban. Can't do that? Check out the various laws that make various firearms illegal to possess, even though previously legal. Only when specifically grandfathered can they be posessed.

Also many laws are vague. Sound limits - fine, go hire an attorney and fight the basis of sound level measurement, and fight how the cop determined that YOUR car exceeded the limit. It can be done, just be prepared for a whopping legal bill.

Users who are viewing this thread