New LFP HE tank wont fit! Help!!

Shlby

Established Member
I just received my new LFP heat exchanger tank today. I put it on but now the hood wont shut. The top of the tank hits the hood insulator. The hood will go down until the safety latch catches. It still likes about 1 inch to shut!
I just put a new insulator in the car 2 weeks ago! The hood is not painted underneath so the "hood mod " is out of the question. Any one had problems like this? Looks like it just sticks up about a inch too high!
Thanks!

Redfire03

Established Member
Mine hits the hood blanket also... It is scraping up the brand new tank and im allitle mad... My hood closes you just have to use alittle more force.

sambandit

SVT God
Established Member
Good idea to remove your hood blankets when doing this mod. I believe there are quite a few other threads about the matter....

Hye

Established Member
rip that blanket cover off and let that puppy breathe at the very least through those vents, more heat out is always a good thing. If I remember correctly, doesnt the blanket cover the vents entirely? it's been so long I don't even remember. now your tank clears no problem.

Last edited by a moderator:

crizzut

Established Member
even if you're hoods not painted I'd still remove it. I removed mine and plan on getting the hood painted in a little while. I quick couple of coats under the hood can't be outrgeously expensive.

OhIIICobra

Established Member
If you remove the blanket it will fit fine. The underside of my hood isn't completely painted, but it still looks way better with no blanket. A lot cooler too if you velcro the vent flaps back.

OmahaStang

Established Member
I'll agree with the other posts shlby however as you mentioned ""the "hood mod " is out of the question.""
I'm unsure what advice to give you. I have removed the blanket and it doesn't 'appear' its hitting the hood i can shut it with no problems and I don't see any rubbing so i think i'm 'ok'.
If you find a solution please post it, however from reading previous threads I don't believe there is one except the "hood mod" (at least I haven't read of one)

I8URZ28

gas mileage is overrated!
Established Member
OR if you want to keep your hood blanket can't you just cut out a square in it with a razorknife :shrug: so the tank fits/and the hood closes

corpsedub

Mighty Trust Krusher
Established Member
i would opt to cut a square in the blanket like I8URZ28 said. i'll never take my hood blanket off because i of paint issues(not lack of paint, but the paint on the outside getting jacked).

Jdaniel

THE DARK SIDE MOD
Established Member
Ive had my hood blanket off for over a year in the Central Texas 110* weather and I have yet to have a problem with the interior or exterior hood paint. Its more than safe to remove it.

crizzut

Established Member
the hood blanket isn't to keep the exterior paint safe if that's what you're thinking. It serves 2 functions 1) in case of fire it drops on the engine to help smother it, and 2) I don't know the complete science of it, but our engine will put out some electromagnetic interference in regard to some AM stations, someone put a nice long post up about it once. As far as the paint goes it won't be burned off or anything.

Shlby

Established Member
I called LFP today to inquire about the problem. They said they were unaware of any tanks hitting the hood blankets! ????? Just think out of 750 tanks they have sold, I have the very first one to interfere with my hood blanket! My car is a 100% virgin (no wrecks) etc. If thats what someone is thinking.
So after a lot of careful measuring and fitting, I cut the brackets off the tank, to lower it. Just to the top of the A/C valve fitting and the fan connector. The tank can then be lowered about 3/4" by doing this. I did have to make a new lower front bracket to get the bolts shifted so that the tank runs parellel to the rad support. While fitting I did make the tank level, both ways. I accomplished this by redrilling the right side hole that is for the radiator. I also used a half inch spacer on this same bolt, to make the tank have enough clearance with the radiator. I will have it welded tomorrow! If it still hits I'll have to take your suggestions to cut out a hole in the blanket for the tank to go in to.
I think if I were to slam the hood it might shut, but this is not a old used car, and I just spent $80 on a new hood insulator, that I would like to keep in one piece!
PS I'm not flamming LFP I think they make great products I've bought other things from them, I just wished some of them fit better.

Users who are viewing this thread