(New) Mantic clutch finally arrives

Vinnie_B

"LIVE LIFE AT FULL THROTTLE"
Established Member
Premium Member
Finally got my Mantic Twin Disc Clutch and had a chance to unbox it. Im impressed with the quality of this all billet clutch. I received exactly what I was told. The weight of the clutch/flywheel is exactly what I was told to expect to see. Alot less weight than stock @60lbs. Im hoping to see some performace gains from the rotational weight savings of 20+ pounds. Should see some marginal gains. Overall.......Im happy with the purchase! Thanks Mantic!!

Application
Shelby 2007-2014 GT-500
5.4L / 5.8L Engine, Mod Motor

Mantic Part Number: M921235

Complete Kit Includes

• Billet Pressure Plate
  • Twin Disc Clutch
  • Heavy Duty Billet Pressure Plate
  • Ceremetallic Material
  • Lightened Steel Flywheel ( 14 lbs )
  • New OE Hydraulic Release bearing
  • New Flywheel Bolts
  • All Necessary Hardware
  • Aluminum Carrying Case

Mantic Clutch Kit.jpg

20240224_140056.jpg
20240224_140343.jpg

Bullitt1448

Established Member
Finally got my Mantic Twin Disc Clutch and had a chance to unbox it. Im impressed with the quality of this all billet clutch. I received exactly what I was told. The weight of the clutch/flywheel is exactly what I was told to expect to see. Alot less weight than stock @60lbs. Im hoping to see some performace gains from the rotational weight savings of 20+ pounds. Should see some marginal gains. Overall.......Im happy with the purchase! Thanks Mantic!!

Application
Shelby 2007-2014 GT-500
5.4L / 5.8L Engine, Mod Motor

Mantic Part Number: M921235

Complete Kit Includes

• Billet Pressure Plate
  • Twin Disc Clutch
  • Heavy Duty Billet Pressure Plate
  • Ceremetallic Material
  • Lightened Steel Flywheel ( 14 lbs )
  • New OE Hydraulic Release bearing
  • New Flywheel Bolts
  • All Necessary Hardware
  • Aluminum Carrying Case

View attachment 1830075
View attachment 1830076View attachment 1830077
That’s pretty sweet! Looks like a great unit. Too pretty to be hidden inside a bellhousing.

Bad Company

Established Member
I know that they also make a great triple disc version also. For some reason Ace Racing Clutches quit selling the twin and triple disc set up for the GT500. So far my Ace has worked without any issues. But since it is no longer available I appreciate the fact Mantic is still selling and servicing the Shelby community. My only other option would be a Tilton Racing OT Series 7.25" carbon on carbon 4 disc with a gray spring in it................. I'm not sure my wallet would handle it.

Vinnie_B

Established Member
Premium Member
I know that they also make a great triple disc version also. For some reason Ace Racing Clutches quit selling the twin and triple disc set up for the GT500. So far my Ace has worked without any issues. But since it is no longer available I appreciate the fact Mantic is still selling and servicing the Shelby community. My only other option would be a Tilton Racing OT Series 7.25" carbon on carbon 4 disc with a gray spring in it................. I'm not sure my wallet would handle it.
I wasn't aware that ace wasn't making the twin Disc anymore. That was my first choice although I wasn't sure how well a racing clutch would hold up on the street. I've heard nothing but positive things about ace and there racing clutches were of high quality. I just felt Mantic will meet both street and track needs. They came highly recommended. Ive heard of Tilton engineering racing clutches but I am not personally familiar with them or know of anyone who has used them.

Bad Company

Established Member
Vinnie I made a mistake. I looked at Shelby America's Performance Parts website a while back and noticed they weren't selling clutches for our cars any longer. This made me try to look up ACE, unfortunately I looked up ACE Manufacturing, which is the company's name with the other divisions being subsidiaries. This showed me the heavy truck clutches and the racing clutches, but not the performance street clutches, so I assumed that they quit selling them since I couldn't find anything on the website. I didn't realize until this morning that SPP quits selling products for our cars once they move on to the latest version of the Mustang. So I assumed after looking at the two websites I assumed the clutches were no longer available and ACE had quit building them.

When you stated that you didn't realize that ACE quit making a clutch for our cars I did another Google search but I worded it differently and had many results showing the ACE clutch is available for us to purchase.

My mistake

Now with that being said I can tell you that if you ever need a clutch for the street in the future do not be afraid to use the ACE clutch. It has the feel of a stock clutch and can easily be driven on the street

Last edited:

Bad Company

Established Member
Vinnie

I meant to give you some information on Tilton. This company specializes in racing clutches, the parent company is Tilton Engineering, it is also know as Tilton Racing. Tilton has been around for many years and started business in the early 70s building clutches for road racing in the Trans Am series. They also moved very quickly into circle track racing industry. By the 80s they were building clutches for almost anything involved in the motorsports industry.

The reason to utilize a one of the OT Series carbon on carbon clutches in our cars is the carbon matrix material actually gains coefficient of friction as it gets hotter, the other is the floaters and drive discs don't warp no matter how hot you get it. The weight is also lower with a 7.25" 4 disc clutch is 9.1 lbs without the flywheel. I'm not sure of this but I think the pressure plate hat is titanium, so it will not lose any strength due to high heat. The other advantage is they are very smooth in engagement with no shocking of the driveline compared to everything else out there. These clutches are serviceable by the end user and can also be rebuilt by Tilton for a much longer life span of a typical clutch. Tilton also recommends the carbon on carbon clutches for extreme hp street cars. The first use of a carbon on carbon Tilton clutch was in a Formula 1 car driven by Ayrton Senna. Today they're used in many different types of racing with success.

Now for the down side.........the price of a 4 disc carbon on carbon clutch assembly is $7625. This doesn't include the flywheel, throw out bearing or the other incidentals necessary to install these in our cars. The upside is never having to purchase another clutch

Vinnie_B

Established Member
Premium Member
Looks like a nice kit.
Looking forward to feed-back after install & break in..
Thanks Don! The plan (Phase1) this spring/fall is to get the Moser M88 rearend built and all of the BMR rear suspension/subframe connectors installed. TBD (Phase2) Pull the motor (Upgrade) I would like to have (Accufab) John Mihovetz build the motor, Trans (Upgrade), K Member upgrade (MM), ECU upgraded (Motec 150) *Than have the mantic clutch installed with the new MGW shifter. Phase 2 is going to be very expensive...:oops: So Im going to have work that budget out. Not sure when I will have feedback on this clutch but unfortunately not anytime soon. I jumped on it because I saved 400.00 on it when i purchased it during thanksgiving sales.
Vinnie I made a mistake. I looked at Shelby America's Performance Parts website a while back and noticed they weren't selling clutches for our cars any longer. This made me try to look up ACE, unfortunately I looked up ACE Manufacturing, which is the company's name with the other divisions being subsidiaries. This showed me the heavy truck clutches and the racing clutches, but not the performance street clutches, so I assumed that they quit selling them since I couldn't find anything on the website. I didn't realize until this morning that SPP quits selling products for our cars once they move on to the latest version of the Mustang. So I assumed after looking at the two websites I assumed the clutches were no longer available and ACE had quit building them.

When you stated that you didn't realize that ACE quit making a clutch for our cars I did another Google search but I worded it differently and had many results showing the ACE clutch is available for us to purchase.

My mistake

Now with that being said I can tell you that if you ever need a clutch for the street in the future do not be afraid to use the ACE clutch. It has the feel of a stock clutch and can easily be driven on the street
Thanks for sharing all that information... I appreciate it!! Definitely going to research tilton engineering products. There products sound impressive. No worries on the ace clutch. They are good clutches and im certain that SAI used them in there SS/Shelby 1000 builds for that very same reason. There are actually alot good clutch options out there so it comes down to budget and preference for intended use.

Bad Company

Established Member
You're welcome

"Phase 2 is going to be very expensive"..........yes it is, especially if you go wild with some of Fischer Motorsports modifications with the hot water bypass system for these cars. I'm hoping to have my car done by summer time to give everyone some feedback on the MoTec modifications. Unfortunately Fischer has been waiting 2 months on MoTec to send the ECU and PnP wiring harnesses. Shawn told me the delay is due MoTec not having the harnesses in stock and waiting for them to build one. He is hoping to have one from MoTec in 2 weeks or less when I talked to him on Thursday.

When you finally get ready to do Phase 2, do everything you can to reduce airflow restrictions, along with exhaust flow restrictions. These modifications pay off with big Hp gains and allow you to do it at lower intake manifold pressure for less heat in the intake air to the engine. Unfortunately these mods add up in the final costs and can easily break the budget

Vinnie_B

Established Member
Premium Member
You're welcome

"Phase 2 is going to be very expensive"..........yes it is, especially if you go wild with some of Fischer Motorsports modifications with the hot water bypass system for these cars. I'm hoping to have my car done by summer time to give everyone some feedback on the MoTec modifications. Unfortunately Fischer has been waiting 2 months on MoTec to send the ECU and PnP wiring harnesses. Shawn told me the delay is due MoTec not having the harnesses in stock and waiting for them to build one. He is hoping to have one from MoTec in 2 weeks or less when I talked to him on Thursday.

When you finally get ready to do Phase 2, do everything you can to reduce airflow restrictions, along with exhaust flow restrictions. These modifications pay off with big Hp gains and allow you to do it at lower intake manifold pressure for less heat in the intake air to the engine. Unfortunately these mods add up in the final costs and can easily break the budget
I love the car hobby......the price to play is just part of the game! I'll definitely be looking forward to your feedback once yours is done for sure. Again....thanks for sharing all this valuable info!! BTW......that exhaust system you built is over the top. I admire the ones who take there upgrades to the next level......(y).

Bad Company

Established Member
I love the car hobby......the price to play is just part of the game! I'll definitely be looking forward to your feedback once yours is done for sure. Again....thanks for sharing all this valuable info!! BTW......that exhaust system you built is over the top. I admire the ones who take there upgrades to the next level......(y).
Thanks

My thoughts on the exhaust was how do I make a system that would be similar to open 4" header collectors with a short tailpipe, yet retain the full exhaust system to be able to drive the car on the street without having to remove or change anything. It took me a while of thinking and a little math to come up with what I hope is close to this. My thoughts about this car have always been to go to the Texas Mile. My original idea was to stay right below the 200mph limit for a roll bar. Then the engine failed, Michael at L & M said I'd never build as much Hp with as low of a boost number as the engine he built. So I decided he needed a lesson in the fact that boost pressure in psi is nothing more than the amount of restriction in moving the air into the engine and has nothing to do with the volume of air. So I looked for every possible way to remove airflow restrictions while increasing the CFM(volume) to beat his super stupid camshaft design that caused the engine to fail in the first place. The exhaust system was one of the ways I did this. I also beat his past Hp numbers by roughly 200 Hp with very close to the same boost on pump E85 or over a 120 hp more on pump 93 octane gasoline.

The MoTec is being installed due to at initial start up the engine surges trying to establish the idle. The Ford PCM has a lot of torque limiting tables with nothing but zeros in them. It is extremely hard with all of the engine modifications to figure out which tables and cells in the tables to manipulate to achieve a good start up idle. The MoTec is going to be much easier to establish the proper start up procedure for the throttle body to get the engine to stop surging. Now with the FORD PCM once the idle is established the car drives extremely well and is actually easy to drive with the power it produces......to me anyway. To others they may think it is a little finicky to pull off from a stop, but I know some of this is not due to the engine, but has a lot to do with the light weight clutch, taller tires and a fast rear gear. At idle this car does 10mph in first gear, so idling through a shopping center parking lot isn't the easiest thing to do. I'm hoping I can twist my wife's arm a bit to start the licensing process at the mile March 2025. At least get past the 200mph mark. The other big feature of going to the MoTec is the car will be 100% FlexFuel capable. No need to drain fuels and switch programs to go from E10 to E98. E98 has the same octane rating as VP Racing's Methanol M1 which is 111 octane. Methanol carries roughly 14% more oxygen when compared to VP Racing X98 Ethanol formula. You can make more power with M1, but the draw backs in this application far out weigh the benefits of more Hp. You also really need to build the engine with a much higher compression ratio to take the advantages of using this fuel. I want to drive this car on the streets and the amount of necessary work and modifications to the fuel system to use it are expensive and wouldn't allow it to be easily converted back and forth between fuels. Whereas all I'll have to do is drive up to the pump and pick my poison for the day.

Vinnie_B

Established Member
Premium Member
the fact that boost pressure in psi is nothing more than the amount of restriction in moving the air into the engine and has nothing to do with the volume of air

I agree 100%! Improving upon restrictions isn't the easist thing to accomplish and it can get expensive!

Whereas all I'll have to do is drive up to the pump and pick my poison for the day.

I know the stock PCM will work well even @ 1100 RWHP. I just think the Motec can take a high horsepower build to another level. As you mention above about the fuel. Thats just one of many many advanatages to a superior ECU upgrade like the Motec 150 PNP. If I can swing it im all in on a Motec upgrade.

Bad Company

Established Member
The problem is the KB 168mm throttle body with the engine modifications, along with the large PMAS MAF. There is no set calibration for the throttle body to program the PMC. Each car is tuned differently for the throttle body responses depending on the how the car supporting mods and engine is built. The few people I talked with about this said that with my modifications that it would be best if I went to the MoTec ECU, including Mike at KB and John at Accufab. Both have worked with Shawn with some of his unusual projects and recommended his work highly.

I think once you get to the point of wanting a MoTec system, you'll be happy once you do it. I have a bunch of gas stations around me that sell E85, I'm looking forward to being able to pull up to a pump and not having to worry about the percentage of ethanol in the fuel.

Vinnie_B

Established Member
Premium Member
The problem is the KB 168mm throttle body with the engine modifications, along with the large PMAS MAF. There is no set calibration for the throttle body to program the PMC. Each car is tuned differently for the throttle body responses depending on the how the car supporting mods and engine is built. The few people I talked with about this said that with my modifications that it would be best if I went to the MoTec ECU, including Mike at KB and John at Accufab. Both have worked with Shawn with some of his unusual projects and recommended his work highly.

I think once you get to the point of wanting a MoTec system, you'll be happy once you do it. I have a bunch of gas stations around me that sell E85, I'm looking forward to being able to pull up to a pump and not having to worry about the percentage of ethanol in the fuel.
Hopefully the install and tuning goes smoothly and you get exacly what you are wanting to accomplish w/the Motec ECU. Looking forward to your success and feedback results!

Bad Company

Established Member
Hopefully the install and tuning goes smoothly and you get exacly what you are wanting to accomplish w/the Motec ECU. Looking forward to your success and feedback results!
I watched Shawn change the fuel tables in a 2005/06 Ford GT to compensate fuel changes for a cold start that the car had never experienced until that day. It took him less than 5 minutes to manipulate the fuel tables to have the car idling with a cold outdoor temperature that the car had never experienced beforehand with the MoTec and he tuned it to be able to start the car and driveaway without stalling very quickly. I truly hope he spends some time training me to utilize the MoTec to its potential. Shawn is unbelievable gifted in using this product. He just finished a MoTec set up for a Super Catamaran boat that is wild. And these things have ancient carburetors on them per the rules, so no MoTec engine management, yet they spent 180K to monitor every other aspect of the boat as it travels through the water. He also finished up on a P51 Mustang to be able to monitor pilot inputs versus the air flow speeds across all outer surfaces of the aircrafts to see how this effects handling of the aircraft. The next part of this test is to see how each pilots different inputs of the controls effects how the aircraft responds the quickest, while performing the stunts safely. He has actually put a MoTec on a helicopter to data log inverted flight to be able to compare one pilot against another, so each can learn to do it the best.

The guy is a genius and can be intimidating to talk to, but is worth getting him involved with a project. He can be a little slow to finish projects if it doesn't have a set racing schedule and deadline you give him. Unfortunately there isn't too many people with these types of skills and you're at their timeline to complete a project. I know why the other car has proceeded slowly and I don't want to stir that pot, so I'll keep quiet

Vinnie_B

Established Member
Premium Member
I watched Shawn change the fuel tables in a 2005/06 Ford GT to compensate fuel changes for a cold start that the car had never experienced until that day. It took him less than 5 minutes to manipulate the fuel tables to have the car idling with a cold outdoor temperature that the car had never experienced beforehand with the MoTec and he tuned it to be able to start the car and driveaway without stalling very quickly. I truly hope he spends some time training me to utilize the MoTec to its potential. Shawn is unbelievable gifted in using this product. He just finished a MoTec set up for a Super Catamaran boat that is wild. And these things have ancient carburetors on them per the rules, so no MoTec engine management, yet they spent 180K to monitor every other aspect of the boat as it travels through the water. He also finished up on a P51 Mustang to be able to monitor pilot inputs versus the air flow speeds across all outer surfaces of the aircrafts to see how this effects handling of the aircraft. The next part of this test is to see how each pilots different inputs of the controls effects how the aircraft responds the quickest, while performing the stunts safely. He has actually put a MoTec on a helicopter to data log inverted flight to be able to compare one pilot against another, so each can learn to do it the best.

The guy is a genius and can be intimidating to talk to, but is worth getting him involved with a project. He can be a little slow to finish projects if it doesn't have a set racing schedule and deadline you give him. Unfortunately there isn't too many people with these types of skills and you're at their timeline to complete a project. I know why the other car has proceeded slowly and I don't want to stir that pot, so I'll keep quiet
Can't say I ever heard anything bad about shawn from Fischer Motorsports. I heard he was one of the best in Tuning Motec ECU's. Well..... hopefully once installed you can get a chance play with it and learn of all the potentials is has to offer. I have no doubt its gonna put a big smile on your face once its all dialed in for ya.

Users who are viewing this thread