New Member from SoCal Help

winds35

Hello,
I have 2011 GT 500 Shelby that the dealer says needs a new engine. Dealer can't find a new engine. Car had been running well, did have to have supercharger rebuilt 2 years ago. Car has 80 K miles. A week ago, car was running smooth and then started missing, badly then stopped. Mechanics at dealer initially said it was a computer issue, replaced the computer, then said couple of cylinders with low compression and needs a new engine, however, he can't find one... I love this car... any suggestions?? Car is at dealer in Cerritos...
Paul

Salmon_J4.6

Go to a pick and pull and get one yourself. There are a couple Facebook forums I'm a part of; you may be able to join a GT500 one and look for a used engine in your area for way less than a brand new one. Make sure the dealership will allow it if it really does need a new engine

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Rebuild it.

MMR is local and can get it done for you.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Or put an iron 5.4 in it and call it a day..... for cheap.

samshady

Established Member
This is my .02 cents. My dealings with dealerships have been lackluster at best. Most haven't none much about modified cars or don't care to know. The prices they charge for parts and labor I'd start looking for a reputable local performance shop who can give you advice and work with you. If you're pulling the engine why put bone stock factory back in? Vmp has a "budget" build that looked interesting. Venomous on here can give you some advice too.

Sent from my SM-G955U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

winds35

Thank you to everyone who has responded. Question, does anyone have recommendations for a performance shop in SoCal that could put a replacement engine in my 2011 Shelby Cobra? Also, thank you to the person who recommended MMR, will contact them, although their site says that they just rebuild engines, they don't do the rest of the work...
Thank you again to all!
Paul

5.2Leader

Established Member
Try Cunningham Motorsports in Murrieta. I have heard good things about their tuning and installs, blowers and turbos. Not sure if Ryan the owner does rebuilds or not.

RBB

Established Member
There are plenty of used stock shortblocks around. Check the forums, EBay, etc. Also, as mentioned, MMR is a good local choice for you as far as a rebuild goes.

I believe @biminiLX has a stock 2013 shortblock that’s still for sale.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Not worth the expensive 5.8 upgrade.
I second having the car taken to a local performance shop to evaluate and repair.
Good luck!
-J

Users who are viewing this thread