New MGW shifter does it work?

99SSls1

Established Member
Ok I have been down the track 5 times and it has grinded and or locked out every time. My car doesn't have any other problems even on the street. I am looking for the car that always had problems and is now fixed with this shifter. I could just take it to the dealer but I would rather go this route if it will work.
Anyone know if they tested it on a known problem car?

i did read the other posts.

ShiftyThePirate

Established Member
Ok I have been down the track 5 times and it has grinded and or locked out every time. My car doesn't have any other problems even on the street. I am looking for the car that always had problems and is now fixed with this shifter. I could just take it to the dealer but I would rather go this route if it will work.
Anyone know if they tested it on a known problem car?

i did read the other posts.

Can't possibly imagine just a new shifter fixes those issues. I thought it was due to the 2nd gear blocker\sync and some other junk. If it does, that shifter is a god-send, and I will def be ordering one.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
If the issue isn't rooted in the pilot bearing, bellhousing misalignment, or previously damaged synchronizers, yes, the MGW shifter will allow you to execute a shift where the factory shifter may not have.

The key lies not only in the increased precision but rather in slowing the shift (just enough) down. It really isn't much more complicated than that.

jenkins_1120

Established Member
If the issue isn't rooted in the pilot bearing, bellhousing misalignment, or previously damaged synchronizers, yes, the MGW shifter will allow you to execute a shift where the factory shifter may not have.

The key lies not only in the increased precision but rather in slowing the shift (just enough) down. It really isn't much more complicated than that.

This. When I try to shift fast from 1-2 grinds everytime. I have to make sure I slowdown and make a deliberate shift into 2nd and surprise there's no problem. The only true fix as of now is to switch to a t56. Also I have every mod that would help fix this issue those mods helps but not fixed.

Last edited:

99SSls1

Established Member
This. When I try to shift fast from 1-2 grinds everytime. I have to make sure I slowdown and make a deliberate shift into 2nd and surprise there's no problem. The only true fix as of now is to switch to a t56. Also I have every mod that would help fix this issue those mods helps but not fixed.

Do you have the gen ll mgw? I am on board with the shifting to fast causing more problems but it is hard to slow down sometimes.

sykb47l

On 3?
Established Member
My transmission NEVER had the grind before the MGW II. It did have the 2nd gear lockout during the 1-2 WOT shift. Since installing the MGW II i no longer have the lockout.

If the grind is bad enough and you've grinded(ground) the gear several times I imagine that the transmission may need more than the shifter. But for the record MGW II solved my 1-2 lockout completely. Three weeks later I switched to Amsoil ATF and the shifting is even smoother. I waited so i could be sure that it was one or the other mod working. But combined MGW and Amsoil worked wonders for my car.

kw_rc

Established Member
haven't tried the GenII on the track yet but i can def. tell you it is a HUGE improvement over stock. shifts are more precise...no more slop...very solid. i would highly recommend this. you'll question why ford ever put that junk in the car in the first place.

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
Unless it has a blower you should be able to read a magazine and shift while it reads the shelby letters.

Not sure what you're seeing but around me tune only A6's run bottom 12's @ 118-120, on tires I've seen them hit high 11's. Blown 5.0's are all in the tens or faster.

Users who are viewing this thread