New Miami, Ohio Speed Cameras Ticket

Booky

Who's Pick'n The Banjo Here?
Established Member
My wife and I just received a letter today stating that my wife's car was identified as doing 47 mph in a 35 mph zone in New Miami, Ohio on the 7th of this month.

The letter shows pictures of my wife's car from the rear with the license plate clearly visible and a time stamp and mph reading. The letter states that since my wife is the registered owner, she is responsible to pay the $95 ticket.

I was driving the car on that date, not my wife, going to a family gathering in Cincinnati. I am not from this area so I have no idea where these pictures were taken, let alone if I was speeding at the time.

I have no idea how to even fight this as I cannot prove that I was or was not going that fast at the location they claim it happened.

It sounds like this is a gold mine for Miami, Ohio:
New Miami Now Target Of Speed Camera Fight - :: Cincinnati news story :: LOCAL 12 WKRC-TV in Cincinnati

Is there anything my wife and I can do, or are we forced to send in the $95. From what I have read, fighting it in court will just result in court costs plus the $95. :shrug:

gatty1303

Established Member
I live about 10 minutes from New Miami and I know several people who have been caught. Personally, I don't believe in these speed cameras, but that is beside the point. I know someone who tried to fight the ticket and basically just got shot down. They will bring an officer in who is trained on the speed camera and testify that it is accurate. It does not go on your driving record, but if you fail to pay the fine, they will send it to collections and it will go on your credit report.

ZWilson07

Established Member
My wife and I just received a letter today stating that my wife's car was identified as doing 47 mph in a 35 mph zone in New Miami, Ohio on the 7th of this month.

The letter shows pictures of my wife's car from the rear with the license plate clearly visible and a time stamp and mph reading. The letter states that since my wife is the registered owner, she is responsible to pay the $95 ticket.

I was driving the car on that date, not my wife, going to a family gathering in Cincinnati. I am not from this area so I have no idea where these pictures were taken, let alone if I was speeding at the time.

I have no idea how to even fight this as I cannot prove that I was or was not going that fast at the location they claim it happened.

It sounds like this is a gold mine for Miami, Ohio:
New Miami Now Target Of Speed Camera Fight - :: Cincinnati news story :: LOCAL 12 WKRC-TV in Cincinnati

Is there anything my wife and I can do, or are we forced to send in the $95. From what I have read, fighting it in court will just result in court costs plus the $95. :shrug:

First, what are you trying to fight?

Are you worried about it going on your wifes records or her being held accountable? Obviously you are her husband so whether you pay or "she" does probably does not matter to much.

Or are you just wanting to fight the ticket because you think the ticket was wrong or you werent speeding?

Are you just not happy about there being camera tickets and you don't agree that they are right for having them?

Just wanting to vent or discuss it?

Maybe I just misread it and missed what your wanting to fight the ticket for, apologies if I did.

Last edited:

static74

in the 9's
Established Member
Also, stop thinking about it like a "ticket". It's not a traffic citation, it is a civil suit of sorts. No points on your license or reports to the insurance, at least in Ohio.

4VFTW

Established Member
somewhere there is a little room with a computer keeping track of each speeding infraction captured by that camera... If there is a GOD that computer makes a cha-ching sound with each infraction.

ford_racer

King of SVTP
Established Member
I don't understand how these aren't in violation of due process. I wish Adam was still on here as much as he used to be, I'm sure he'd have some useful knowledge to share on this.

jbs$

Established Member
Welcome to piracy with a lawman badge. At least the bandits of old had guts enough to rob you face to face.

4VFTW

Established Member
I don't understand how these aren't in violation of due process. I wish Adam was still on here as much as he used to be, I'm sure he'd have some useful knowledge to share on this.
they probably are , however because they do not become part of a criminal record they get around due process...all they really want is your money.

Due Process has already been laid to rest in this country anyway.

Last edited:

redfirepearlgt

SIT BACK AND HANG ON !!!
Established Member
I was caught in the same ordeal in Hamilton, Ohio. Got the letter in the mail some 4-6 weeks later. Went on line and watched the video. A car had just passed me prior to where the video picks up. He was in a beater, I was in a clean shiny Mustang GT. I received the ticket. I contacted a law firm in Hamilton, Ohio and spoke to an paralegal who had just been busted in her mustang gt as well.

So here is the scoop...

The ticket will not go against your driving record in the state of Ohio because there is no officer writing the ticket to stand as witness for prosecution. THEREFORE - it is presented as a service fee. You may speka to a police officer in charge of the project who will play as "majestrate"(spelling) if you wish to argue. in the end you will likely still be required to pay the $95 fee and wasted your time. A lawyer will do you no good because it is NOT a speeding violation in the sense of points against you.

If you refuse to pay the service fee, they cannot pull your license, BUT repeat BUT...they will post it against your credit history as an unpaid debt and it will ding your credit rating. It may also go out for collection as well which can begin adding up interest and collection fees.

That is how it was explainedto me by this paralegal that told me they get 4-6 calls a week on that same issue.

The camera system is operated and owned remotely by a compnay in Arizona (or at least the one in Butler Co.). They have a lease with the city of Hamilton undewrthe guise of "promoting safer streets/highways". The company in Arizona does 95% of the leg work. A cop handles the local transactions or magestrate during certain hours on specific days. the city gets a percentage of each citation service fee.

Have a nice day, knowing at least that your insurance can't and won't go up. Sucks to pay 95 dollars.

Funny thing as I think of it my speed ws 47 in a 35.

Keep an eye out for those little white vehicles on the road side or in the median. That is them. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

NyteByte

Pro-Freedom
Established Member
If you refuse to pay the service fee, they cannot pull your license, BUT repeat BUT...they will post it against your credit history as an unpaid debt and it will ding your credit rating. It may also go out for collection as well which can begin adding up interest and collection fees.

That in itself seems illegal. They are charging you a "fee"? For what services exactly did you authorize them to charge you for?

The fee is actually a penalty levied against you for speeding and it's one they cannot prove. If they start harassing you by ruining your credit and sending collection agents after you for a bogus charge, it might be worth looking into filing charges against THEM.

It's my opinion that you should always fight this kind of thing and not just roll over and pay these tickets (unless of course you're really certain you were speeding).

Shepp1691

Established Member
I didnt know there were so many people from the area on here lol, ur stuck, pay the fine, cost u more to go to court and lose anyway.

Lobo_Loco

La Mera Vena
Established Member
this is just a way for the city/county to generate some revenue....i had a friend not to long ago get a ticket like this...he started researching it and talking to lawyers...well yea there was a statue that made it illegal in the state (FL) which would allow him to fight for it....however, a lawyer told him dude if you fight for it you will pay my
my fees
court fees
and other little fees
which total will be way over what your fine way so do you really want to do that??

So my buddy just sucked it up and paid the ticket and went on his married way.

redfirepearlgt

SIT BACK AND HANG ON !!!
Established Member
That in itself seems illegal. They are charging you a "fee"? For what services exactly did you authorize them to charge you for?

The fee is actually a penalty levied against you for speeding and it's one they cannot prove. If they start harassing you by ruining your credit and sending collection agents after you for a bogus charge, it might be worth looking into filing charges against THEM.

It's my opinion that you should always fight this kind of thing and not just roll over and pay these tickets (unless of course you're really certain you were speeding).

It was a few years back so my technical reference to how they assessed the fine and what it was called to get around the law may not be up to par. Either way. There are no points assessed to your driving record. They cannot. 99% of the process is handled by the copany that owns the caera system. The data is streamed back (in the Hamilton setup) to the parent company that owns the speed rig in Arizona. They determine if the data is legit enough to process a fine that is assessed as something like a tax, fee, service, WHATEVER. It is then mailed out to you and you pay it out to them. If you wish to arbitrate the fine/fee/tax/whatever, you will go before a police officer that is assigned the complaint and plead your case. He will wathc the tape. likely look at you and say, "you were speeding". THERE IS NO COURT PROCEEDING. THERE IS NO JUDGE OR PROSECUTOR. THERE IS NO INVOLVEMENT WITH THE COURT SYSTEM. The city, county and/or state cannot acknowledge the "ticket" (for no other term) because of the means in which it was obtained under current Ohio state law. So you pay the fee, fine, service, or whatever. The most of it goes into the pocket of those little pricks in Arizona the own the setup. A portion of it goes to the city for road and maintenance repairs.

So either pay it and move on with life, fight it like spend three times the money only to lose before a cop playing magestrate, or don't pay it, risk letting it to go to collection and then pay it along with any collection fees and interest when you go to refinance your house the next time, not to mention impacting you credit score. Plain and simple.

Don't get me wrong. This thing pisses me off as it does everyone else. I was not happy that there really was no recourse. I took the time to seek council and I am simply trying to save you time and money. Unless of course you have the attributes and charm of Megan Fox and can charm the cop into dropping it.

Relaxed Chaos

Just another Gen X Hero
Established Member
Premium Member
You could refuse to pay and head down the following path. It will take some perseverance.

When they attempt to collect the 'debt' immediately send them, in writing via certified mail, the following text:

This letter will serve as your legal notice under federal law that regulates activities of collection agencies and their legal representatives.

You are hereby notified under provisions of Public Law 95-109, Section 805-C, THE FAIR DEBT COLLECTION PRACTICES ACT to hereby CEASE AND DESIST in any and all telephone and email communications to collect the above referenced debt.

Your failure to do so may result in charges being filed against you with the state and federal regulatory agencies empowered with enforcement.

Please be further warned that if ANY derogatory information is placed on any credit reports after receipt of this notice, it too may result in action being taken against you.

Then, if they post it against your credit report, immediately refute it to all three credit reporting agencies, in writing, that this debt has been illegal assessed against you and it needs to be stricken from your records.

Yes, I've been there and done that. Don't ask why.

Their only recourse to collect the debt will be to take you to civil court and there they will have to prove you owe them money.

Giving in only reinforces that they can treat us this way.

Last edited:

RedRocketMike

A Member Well Known
Established Member
Relaxed Chaos, you are the man! I copy and pasted that to my ticket avoidance portfolio.

JST A HDA

Established Member
this is just a way for the city/county to generate some revenue....i had a friend not to long ago get a ticket like this...he started researching it and talking to lawyers...well yea there was a statue that made it illegal in the state (FL) which would allow him to fight for it....however, a lawyer told him dude if you fight for it you will pay my
my fees
court fees
and other little fees
which total will be way over what your fine way so do you really want to do that??

So my buddy just sucked it up and paid the ticket and went on his married way.

City/police department does not own the speed cams so majority of the fine goes to the company who owns/installed the cameras. A portion of the "fee" actually goes towards the city

Users who are viewing this thread