New mods installed, bah problems...

MatchStick

Master of the drunken pee
Established Member
I just had the BBK H-pipe and a set of flowmasters installed along with the 4.30's :)rockon: )

Now to the problem. At 2k rpms or below the car seems to surge or buck in any gear.
Jump on the gas and it's fine. but get below 2k and the problem comes back. I installed a new fuel filter and I plan on changing the plugs next week as well. No check lights or anything.

98 Cobra with 76k miles all stock except a drop in K&N, h-pipe, flows.

I read the other thread about the surging and mine doesn't act the same way, but I'm not ruling out the coil packs just due to the mileage.

Any ideas on what to look for and check? BTW, the car was fine until I installed the H-pipe. I'm thinkin mass air or 02's.

Any help is appreciated. :beer:

COBRASVT

Established Member
Did you keep put front and rear O2's back in the same spots respectively?

Are the front's hooked up...sounds like an open loop issue since it goes away when you full throttle it.

yeasure

Old School ModularMan
Established Member
Now isn't this funny.......MatchStick i have a 03 cobra and i just installed a mrt h-pipe and i'm having the same problem as you, wonder what could be causing this.....

MatchStick

Established Member
Originally posted by COBRASVT
Did you keep put front and rear O2's back in the same spots respectively?

Are the front's hooked up...sounds like an open loop issue since it goes away when you full throttle it.

Everything is hooked up correctly. I've never seen one do this with just an h-pipe installation.

CastIronMan, as soon as I figure it out I'll post the results. But right now I'm stumped. (and drunk tee hee)

:rolling:

yeasure

Old School ModularMan
Established Member
Match samehere, i've tried 3 different spark plugs with 6 different gaps and nothing helped(i thought it was a plug issue).
Now i'm thinking maybe it's my CAI because it has a 90 degree bend in front of the MA.
I'm also stomped on what this could be.
Just to make sure this is the same problem, mine idles and runs perfect but if i hold the rpm's at or around 2000rpm's the car just bucks like a bull, if i let off the gas everything is normal, if i give it gas, everything is normal, i only see it when i hold the rpm's around 2000rpm's......same problem you're having?

red96cobra

Drivin' on a rail
Established Member
Castironman- My T-bird does the exact same thing. I think it has something to do with the exhaust because I emptied my cats out and that when it started. Have you tried MIL elims yet? Let me know if you figure it out

Nick

MatchStick

Established Member
Originally posted by CastIronMan

Just to make sure this is the same problem, mine idles and runs perfect but if i hold the rpm's at or around 2000rpm's the car just bucks like a bull, if i let off the gas everything is normal, if i give it gas, everything is normal, i only see it when i hold the rpm's around 2000rpm's......same problem you're having?

Sounds like the same problem to me. I'm still running the stock air box though.

I took it out today and put about 120 miles on the car and now it has developed and idle problem. When I come up to a stop light the idle will sit around 1200-1300 for a few seconds and then drop down to around 7-800 and idle fine until the next time I have to stop.

red96cobra,

I haven't out the MIL's on it yet, the check engine light came on today so I guess I'll be ordering those as well.

Thanks for the help so far guys. Maybe we can figure this thing out soon.

:beer:

yeasure

Old School ModularMan
Established Member
I have a predator and don't need Mil's, i can manualy turn it off.
I'm starting to think maybe it's the 02's maybe they're bad, i havn't got a clue honestly.

MatchStick

Established Member
I'm thinking the same thing. I did notice on mine that one of the 02's had been changed, but not the other. I'm gonna change both the front ones and see what happens.

yeasure

Old School ModularMan
Established Member
MatchStick i figured out my problem finally:D
My problem was coming from my CAI, i have one that has the 90 degree bend into the fender wall.
Took it out and installed a new one(straight no bend) blam no more problem(thank god!!!)
Also bought some cleaner and cleaned my MA at the sametime, so one or the other did it but i believe it was the CAI.

MatchStick

Established Member
Originally posted by CastIronMan
MatchStick i figured out my problem finally:D
My problem was coming from my CAI, i have one that has the 90 degree bend into the fender wall.
Took it out and installed a new one(straight no bend) blam no more problem(thank god!!!)
Also bought some cleaner and cleaned my MA at the sametime, so one or the other did it but i believe it was the CAI.

Sweet man. I'm glad you got it figured out. I haven't had the time to mess with mine yet. I'll post back when I do.

:beer:

ogc

Established Member
Try disconnecting the battery for like 10 minutes to reset the computer and see what happens.

ROADWARRIORSVT

Established Member
My guess is that it was a dirty MAF. I've had similar problem and cleaning the MAF worked. I doubt it was the CAI or you would have seen the problem earlier. Glad its fixed!

yeasure

Old School ModularMan
Established Member
ROADWARRIORSVT well come to find out this is a normal problem, why because anytime the CAI has a 90 degree bend in front of the mass air it causes problems/turbulance and from my readings it screws it up.

Doug

That Person.
Established Member
try resetting the computer. Unplug the ground on the battery for 10minutes. then hook it back up, turn the car on and let it idle for a bit then go drive around.

MatchStick

Established Member
I changed the plug wires today, should have done that yesterday and the miss at 2k rpms is gone finally. Didn't notice the idle problem being there either. Also the check light went out as well. Hopefully the problems won't return.

Users who are viewing this thread