New Motor....is break-in period needed???

jason1320

Established Member
Ford just put a brand new motor in my car under warranty. Do I need to break it in? What is the best method?

In the past I have always heard 500 miles under 3500 RPM's, change the oil and then another 500 miles under 4500 RPM's, change the oil and again and your good to go.

Any suggestions? :shrug:

mavado007

Established Member
Sure, expensive Motor, Be safe.

I heard Kieth Craft Motors require 8000 mile break in?

TheRod1976

Blue - The Fastest Color
Established Member
You're right, just keep your RPM's low and varied (not a constant cruise RPM) for the first 500 miles. You can change your oil at this time but I followed SVT's advice and brought my RPM's up a little after the 500 mile mark up to 1k miles and then changed my oil. Commence burnouts! :burnout: Just my .02

jason1320

Established Member
Originally posted by mavado007
Sure, expensive Motor, Be safe.

I heard Kieth Craft Motors require 8000 mile break in?

8000 miles!!! I barely had that on it when the first motor went bad. I bought it with 3000 miles on it so who knows how it was treated before I had it.

bsmith9165

Established Member
I just had a new motor dropped into my 98 and most of the mechanics I asked say," you want to break your motor in at various speed etc hwy/city and you want to stay out of boost for the first 500 miles, changed the oil at that time. And then take it easy for the next 500 miles and after that it should be ok

dougwg

Established Member
Think Outside The Box

Before you click on this link, OPEN YOUR MIND TO NEW IDEAS

http://mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

and some have said "Thats for a motorcycle engine, not a Cobra engine!"

um.... have you ever seen a Cobra engine? It looks just like the 4 cylinder, water cooled, DOHC engine in most sport bike except it has 2nd bank of cylinders.

in other words.... a Cobra engine is extremly simular to these engines

I say read Read READ and come up with your own conclusion

P.S. Yes, this is how I did my break-in on my bike (1995 zx6r, almost 40,000 miles, does not burn any oil) and runs like a rapped ape!

dougwg

Established Member
I like how people say "You should be ok"... I think they say this because they don't really know. They are just repeting what they have heard time after time.

NJ 03 GT

Established Member
Yeah I just got my cobra Oct. 1st. I have 2,500 Miles on it now. I bought it brand new with 80 miles on it. (svt left me the little card saying they "tested" my cobra.. aka: they beat the balls off it"]

With 2,500 it feels smooth and great.. I took it easy for the first 1500. NO boost. But varyed there RPM's.

I believe tho, "if ya don't brake um in hard, they wont run hard." Now I know a lot of people won't agree witrh me on that. Don't get me wrong, I don't beat the balls outta my cobra, I just broke it in a lil hard after 1,500 miles.

After 1,500 miles, I started getting into it. First and ONLY time at the track with my Cobra, I ran 12.7 @ 112. First time ever racing it 1-4 gears I ran that time.

Last edited by a moderator:

dougwg

Established Member
Did you guys even take the time to read the link I posted?

If knowledge is what you seek, you must read a lot. A lot of reading takes time.

jason1320

Established Member
Originally posted by dougwg
Think Outside The Box

Before you click on this link, OPEN YOUR MIND TO NEW IDEAS

http://mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

and some have said "Thats for a motorcycle engine, not a Cobra engine!"

um.... have you ever seen a Cobra engine? It looks just like the 4 cylinder, water cooled, DOHC engine in most sport bike except it has 2nd bank of cylinders.

in other words.... a Cobra engine is extremly simular to these engines

I say read Read READ and come up with your own conclusion

P.S. Yes, this is how I did my break-in on my bike (1995 zx6r, almost 40,000 miles, does not burn any oil) and runs like a rapped ape!

Has anyone here tried this on their cobra? I'm a little sceptical! :dw:

Fuerza

Established Member
From Doug's posted link.

What's The Best Way To Break-In A New Engine ??
The Short Answer: Run it Hard !

:D

I'll read it again later, I'm sure there is more too it than that.

Cheers
:beer:

dougwg

Established Member
Originally posted by jason1320
Has anyone here tried this on their cobra? I'm a little sceptical! :dw:

sceptical? or just chicken? :lol:

Read! and Think outside the Box!

dougwg

Established Member
Originally posted by ShelbyGuy
at the very least your cars computer will learn that you drive like an old lady and fill its tables with old lady drivin' values.

and you wouldn't want your Cobra to think that you're a little old lady now do you? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

redfire03 svt

Established Member
Just out of curiosity, why did you get your engine replaced. MY 03 cobra has been at the dealer for 10 days now for smoke coming out of my engine. Come to realize my cylinder head gaskets were leaking and coolant got in my engine. Peace! It has been in the dealership twice now for this. These cars are more hassle than anything else IMO!!!!

jason1320

Established Member
I was getting blue smoke on cold starts...everyone here told me that it was normal. However, I stuck to the the notion that a $40,000 car shouldn't smoke and took it in. The first dealer said it was normal. B.S. They didn't even check it. Second dealer had me do an oil consumption test (drove it 1000 miles with out touching the oil or dipstick.), this showed that it was using a lot of oil. They checked the compression on the cylinders and when the motor was cold (no oil in the heads) one cylinder did not hold its compression. Once the motor was turned over, the compression returned, but a little oil escaped into the cylinder. This started happening at about 5000 miles. The previous owner put the first 3000 miles on it. So I don't know what could have caused it. Bad break in? :rolleyes:

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
GET ON THAT THING. cylinder pressure seats rings. driving it like a sissy will wear the rough surface of the freshly honed cylinder, but the rings won't seat as well because they aren't being forced against the cylinder wall by the cyl. pressure.

Engine braking is a MUST as well. Pull some high vaccum by letting off at high rpm.

My car was broken in on the dyno.

redfire03 svt

Established Member
Did you have any mods on there when the SVT tech came out to exam your car? I have the mods in my sig. but it has not got to that point where they are coming out yet. Nice that you got a new block.

Users who are viewing this thread