New Nitto NT05's Are On

Evilspyderman

2003 Satin Snake
Established Member
Well you have your opinions of nittos and thats fine. I have a completely stock cobra and I live in the wettest place in the u.s. and I have read reviews on them and wanna try them out as my dd tires until i have the money to mod and make some real power. if i can't get them to hook on a stock cobra i will say i'm a bad driver before i say they are bad tires.

99 KOBRA

Speed Racer
Established Member
They're probably a good tire for that power level, but for people with more power, that want to be able to use it, a DR would be a better tire.

Wet traction with the Nitto DR's is fine, I've driven on them for years in all weather conditions without any problems. They last 10-12k miles, and they come in a 275/40/17.

Your tires are great, for me to poop on!

For those of us that really like corners, drag radials suck because they have soft sidewalls. Soft sidewalls are great for 1/4 mile runs and suck for open track.

Qwk GT

Established Member
So these aren't technically drag radials? And they are supposed to perform good in rain?
I live in Seattle, so it rains constantly. I've always wanted to try a drag radial, but with the weather here and some of the recommendations that DR's suck in the rain, I'm looking for an alternative.

I'm stock now, but a pulley and intake are in the very near future.

Jefe

Established Member
DR's usually have a lower treadwear. These are a cross between DR's and Street tires aimed at increased street performance. Been in the rain a couple times now and they work great. Sitcky for the dry roads and massive channels to move the water. I dont even remember the last time I experienced wheel hop....

Last edited:

Teej281

Established Member
Quick question for a GT owner. Would these tires work well with a bolt on GT with 4.10's??? I am getting new wheels soon and i wanna run these in 315/35-17 on the rears and 275/40-17 on the fronts. Would these tires hook up pretty well for me and make a good overall street tire?

99 KOBRA

Speed Racer
Established Member
Quick question for a GT owner. Would these tires work well with a bolt on GT with 4.10's??? I am getting new wheels soon and i wanna run these in 315/35-17 on the rears and 275/40-17 on the fronts. Would these tires hook up pretty well for me and make a good overall street tire?

They should be great for you. The lower the tread wear rating, the sticker the tires. The NT05 has a rating of 200. R compounds are usually about 100.
GS-D3s are 280. One drawback for sticky (softer rubber) tires is that you'll be lucky to get 10,000 miles out of them if they're only driven on the street (no track use).

Teej281

Established Member
Well my dad does not want to see drag radials on the car and i see these are a good sticky tire that is not a drag radial. But people get 15,000 miles out of nitto d/r's on regular Gt's so i dont see how bad these tires would really do. And they have more tread depth than the d/r's do too so better tread wear+deeper tread=longer life than d/r's while still being pretty sticky. And i dont really care about them lasting forever. I only drive about 8k miles a year so these tires will last me 2+ years if i get them. And they will see some 1/4 mile duty as well which is why i like the stickiness without being a d/r. So i think these will end up on my OE Wheels 10th anniversary cobras when i get them soon. Thanks.

Jefe

Established Member
Yep they'll be perfect. 4k miles on mine, still feel and look fairly new.

99 KOBRA

Speed Racer
Established Member
Well he states that nitto DRs dont hold the power and nitto says the NT05s dont hook as well as the 555Rs so he has plenty of point to add. If we wanna talk about the best hooking street tire we might as well forget nittos and talk about Pilot sport PS2s........but why run a street tire on a 450 plus hp sports car there not grocrey getters. Why own a car with power if you cant put it to the ground in all gears.

The NT05 has the lowest treadwear rating of ANY street tire I know of (200). The Pilot has one that's over 300. The NT05 is the closest thing you can get to a R compound tire (100) without getting one. The Pilot is not nearly as sticky. A DR is a R compound tire. If you drive aggressively, you're lucky to get 5,000 miles out of a R compound tire.

Last edited:

yellowgt02

Established Member
The NT05 has the lowest treadwear rating of ANY street tire I know of (200). The Pilot has one that's over 300. The NT05 is the closest thing you can get to a R compound tire (100) without getting one. The Pilot is not nearly as sticky. A DR is a R compound tire. If you drive aggressively, you're lucky to get 5,000 miles out of a R compound tire.

I drove my car pretty aggressively last year, with 30-40 track passes on Nitto's and managed to get 10k out of them.

This year so far, Ive put 3k on some MT DR's. Only 10-12 passes though, but lots more street abuse and they still look new. :shrug: I have some ET Streets now for the track, so Im sure Ill get 5-6k maybe more on the DR's.

Saleen281sc

I've got a Cobra,too
Established Member

My Yokohama Advan Sports have a treadwear rating of 180, and hook like crazy.

I also don't have to worry about driving my car in the rain, or at high speeds.
:coolman:

03Snake04

! Sonic Boom !
Established Member
i read in this thread the afs replicas 10.5 rear wheel can hold a 315/35 wheel without any spacers... anyone have any pics of 315 or even 305s on the car... id like to see as i am about to order some new tires... just dont know what size i want yet

68_GT

Terminated '98
Established Member
how are these tires holding up ? what's the widest they have that'll fit my 18 X 10 Saleen rears ????

rlongo

Established Member
Premium Member
I have these all around 265/35/18 up front and 295/35/18 out back on 10" wheels. They fit the wheel perfect like a block. I can PM you a picture if you like. I think they are a good balance of street tires and DR. They have a 200 treadwear so they are fairly sticky but you can drive them in the rain with no fears. just my $ .02.

68_GT

Terminated '98
Established Member
I have these all around 265/35/18 up front and 295/35/18 out back on 10" wheels. They fit the wheel perfect like a block. I can PM you a picture if you like. I think they are a good balance of street tires and DR. They have a 200 treadwear so they are fairly sticky but you can drive them in the rain with no fears. just my $ .02.

post a rear pic I have 18 x 10 rears and I'd like to see that.

think I'll stick with better wearing all seasons on the front though. Not sure why anyone would put these on the fronts unless they are autocrossing or something.

Jefe

Established Member
how are these tires holding up ? what's the widest they have that'll fit my 18 X 10 Saleen rears ????

I have 6500 miles on them. Still work very good. I can spin them in 1st gear in the upper RPMs and I couldnt before but it is colder out now. The outer tread looks just like it was new but the inner water channels are worn down pretty good. I am an aggressive street driver so thats to be expected. I dont know see why I wont get 10k miles out of them. Hoping for more but we'll see...

MattN03

03RCODE
Established Member
Has anyone tried the NT05's at the dragstrip just for the fun of it? How do they hookup compared to a regular street radial?

D3RACING

Established Member
Can't go wrong with either 555 or NT05. If you've had a 555 just imagine a softer updated version of that. The NT05 is great on dry stuff and good in the rain. NT05 does great in a straight line (interstate) in the wet but seems too step out in corners (pulling out into trafic)under hard acceleration in the rain alot easier than the 555. I run 245-40-18's in the front and 295-35-18's in the rear. So you guys know NITTO is releasing a NT05R Drag radial. It's being released in three sizes to start. 275-40-17 fox, 315-17 sn-95,and a 345-19 for vetts. Let me tell ya its soft!!!

Users who are viewing this thread