New numbers after dyno tune and cam swap

fromme

Mustang Addict
Established Member
Finally got a chance to dyno the car after I installed the Camshaft Innovations cam. While I was there, had them do a dyno tune also. The graph I posted is the first run before the tune (14* base timing) and the run after the tune. I thought they did good picking up that hp on a N/A car. What I was surprised to find out, was that I picked up nothing in the low and mid range with the new cam. I picked up at least 20 hp above 4500 rpm and 25 hp above 5500 rpm (not that I'll rev much higher than that though).

A/F is at 12.9 with the last run.

cobradyno4.gif

So what do you think, 270 ok with a stock engine, with a custom cam, longtubes, and through the cats?

LEE93COBRA

broke
Established Member
Is a/f in the high 12's on all pulls? That seems to fat for a n/a car.

Other than that, seems like good power to me to using the crappy gt-40 iron heads. Throw some aluminum heads on there and you will see another 40-50 hp at the wheels

fromme

Mustang Addict
Established Member
It starts out in the 13's then progressively fattens to 12.9 at the top end. The tuner said he didn't like to go much leaner than that at the top end. But it'd be nothing for him to lean it out some more. I didn't realize it could go leaner. What kind of AF you think is ideal?

I'd love to get a set of AFR's, but not till it's paid off. Yeah, that's right, I have a car payment on a 13 year old car. :shrug: About two years worth.

Last edited:

LEE93COBRA

broke
Established Member
ideal a/f is really ging to depend on how the car responds. Stoich is 14.7 but depending on where you live will be the deciding factor on what is ideal. I believe when my car was n/a I tuned mine for high 13 a/f

fromme

Mustang Addict
Established Member
I understand. I live at sea level. I guess it just likes the fuel, because the very first time I dyno'd it, I was in the mid/high 13's and I had detonation, with only 14 degrees timing. I think I'll just be happy with what I've got this go around. Jay Allen, who made my cam, suggested advancing the cam to see if that brings more mid ranger power. I'm mulling that over. It looks like peak power is about 5350 rpm, which doesn't seem too awful late.

SVT Fun

Established Member
Unless the camshaft specifications are classified as top secret, please post some data about the camshaft.

fromme

Mustang Addict
Established Member
No, not top secret. There's not one out there like it, but I'll post it up. The cam sheet has so much info, what do you want off of it?
Intake duration is 218 @ .050, 276 @ .006 .544 lift
Exhaust duration is 224 @ .050, 278 @ .006 .534 lift
114 degree centerline
Intake opens .050 at -4btdc, closes @ 42*abdc
exhaust opens .050 @ 47* bbdc, closes @ -3*atdc

Users who are viewing this thread