New Owner 07' Shelby GT500! But i think somethings wrong with it?

NeverEndn

Established Member
Just picked up an 07 Shelby GT500 vert, it has 3000miles on it, 4:10 gears , tune, exhaust an i think a 2.6 upper. Anyways ive only driven the car about 6 times so far since i got it i gotten on her an just cruised, an i took it out today just driven her normally an when i went to take it out of first an put it in 2nd there was a grinding noise an i could feel it in the shifter, so then i picked up speed still cruisin put in third with no problems all other gears are fine , still crusin , so i slowed down a bit an went to put it down into second and again made a loud grind noise an then went into 2nd, its only second thats doing this an it never did this any other time, any ideas as to what this could be and it doesnt do it when im going really slow only from about 20mph and up! upshifting or downshifting! I think the car also had some clutch work done but its so new to me i havent got the specifics yet! Its does this even when the clutch is pushed in all the way its when i go to move the shifter into the 2nd gear slot!

500DRAGPAC

Established Member
the sound and grind your feeling is common on 07's talk to your dealer about a bullitin on the trans they know about it.just so you know my 07 has 6000 miles and never got any worse I never brought it back for service because sometimes they fix one thing and damage another.it only happens when cold right and when the trans fluid heats up it goes away so what I've always done is for the first 2 or 3 second gear shifts I skip second and go to third and in about 10 minutes it's warmed up and you can use all the gears.

2003 Silver

Banned
Sounds like you may need the TSB. Rebuild tranny, new flywheel/clutch and new input shaft. Get it checked out.

NeverEndn

Established Member
the sound and grind your feeling is common on 07's talk to your dealer about a bullitin on the trans they know about it.just so you know my 07 has 6000 miles and never got any worse I never brought it back for service because sometimes they fix one thing and damage another.it only happens when cold right and when the trans fluid heats up it goes away so what I've always done is for the first 2 or 3 second gear shifts I skip second and go to third and in about 10 minutes it's warmed up and you can use all the gears.

Tried this today , let the tranny warm took out around the block an down some roads for about half hour an still was making the grinding noise into 2nd, so i think im gonna just call the dealer tomorrow an have it takin care of! Anything i should look for or tell em i need done or anything before it goes in? Thnx guy appreciate the help

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
Sounds like you may need the TSB. Rebuild tranny, new flywheel/clutch and new input shaft. Get it checked out.

yes, but you know how dealers are about mods. The car has a pulley, 4.10's etc... so that might complicate things for him. I hope it doesn't, and I agree with the others that it sounds like you have a relatively common issue with the 07's.

sprint200

Established Member
Just picked up an 07 Shelby GT500 vert, it has 3000miles on it, 4:10 gears , tune, exhaust an i think a 2.6 upper. Anyways ive only driven the car about 6 times so far since i got it i gotten on her an just cruised, an i took it out today just driven her normally an when i went to take it out of first an put it in 2nd there was a grinding noise an i could feel it in the shifter, so then i picked up speed still cruisin put in third with no problems all other gears are fine , still crusin , so i slowed down a bit an went to put it down into second and again made a loud grind noise an then went into 2nd, its only second thats doing this an it never did this any other time, any ideas as to what this could be and it doesnt do it when im going really slow only from about 20mph and up! upshifting or downshifting! I think the car also had some clutch work done but its so new to me i havent got the specifics yet! Its does this even when the clutch is pushed in all the way its when i go to move the shifter into the 2nd gear slot!

You have the "classic" symptoms described in the TSB. I have had this repair done to my car and now have over 2k miles of very enjoyable driving without any clutch chatter, grinding or missed shifts:D

yes, but you know how dealers are about mods. The car has a pulley, 4.10's etc... so that might complicate things for him. I hope it doesn't, and I agree with the others that it sounds like you have a relatively common issue with the 07's.

None of his mods could conceiveably be construed as causing the flywheel to warp, which is the primary cause of these symptoms. My car has a pulley, cai, griggs RT suspension, 4-point roll bar and racing seats with harness; and I had no trouble getting the TSB work done.

Note that this is not a wear related item that is not covered after 12 mos/12k miles. This is a bad flywheel that causes the clutch to fail. The flywheel falls under the 5 yr/50k warranty.

2003 Silver

Banned

Shouldn't matter with the TSB...they have nothing to do with it.

NeverEndn

Established Member
Shouldn't matter with the TSB...they have nothing to do with it.

Well called dealer an like some of you said they knew about it! an it goes in on Monday, so i will keep you guys posted as to how it goes before an after! an as for the mods they know about em an didnt care to much an plus it also has nothing to do with this recall type thing! But thnx for the help guys much appreicated:thumbsup:

Trill Gear Head

Established Member
I just bought a used TR6060 and was told by the seller that it had a slight 2nd gear grind or clunk. I'm gonna try and see if my local ford dealership will fix this under warranty but I Highly doubt it haha. But, its worth a try.

BTW, I'm putting it into my v6 :).

Leonard 95

Established Member
I just bought a used TR6060 and was told by the seller that it had a slight 2nd gear grind or clunk. I'm gonna try and see if my local ford dealership will fix this under warranty but I Highly doubt it haha. But, its worth a try.

BTW, I'm putting it into my v6 :).

yea, that won't happen, I wouldn't even waste your time.

Users who are viewing this thread