New possible 99 Cobra owner

marcoc

Established Member
Looking at picking up a 99 Cobra anything I should be aware of other than making sure recall was done? looking at a Rio red with 73k miles, good shape just needs TLC, rear bumper has scuffs and probably needs respray, $10k, no dings, new battery and mostly stock except for flowmaster catback. New to mustangs and looking forward to getting in a Cobra. I have a $10 price cap so no Terminators. Any tips? this is the car.

24936773129.317421722.IM1.MAIN.565x421_A.562x421.jpg

24936773130.317421722.IM1.02.565x421_A.562x421.jpg

http://images.autotrader.com/scaler...773131.317421722.IM1.03.565x421_A.562x421.jpg

soccerman002

99 SVT Cobra
Established Member
You could find a better deal in the marketplace IMO, I paid $9k for my '99 over 3 years ago and it only had 10k more miles than the one you're looking at.

TBCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
That price isnt bad for the miles. I would obviously try to talk the dealer down.

Slowerthnyou99

Established Member
Im new to Cobra's but Im with the other guys, picked mine up for 8,500 with 50,000 on engine, convertible, and every service record since day 1. Also had about 3,500 in suspension and misc upgrades already.

Slowerthnyou99

Established Member
Dunno if your planning on paying cash for the car or not, but they probably did not pay much for it, may be able to go in and offer a lot less and they take it.

Black*Death

Sleeping
Established Member
10K is too much...they are going for 7.5 to 9k with mods. I would offer 7.5 then go as high as 8K.....walk away if they want more.

Like someone said you can likely get a better car for cheaper here on the forums

marcoc

Established Member
Yea around here in the northeast you can't find many and most are over 10k. The kbb value on this car here in CT is 11,500$. Remember location in the country makes a difference. I found a silver 2001 with 83k miles for $12,800. Another 1999 with 50k miles $15k, so my point is this the red Cobra is a good deal in my region so I bought it! Got a new battery and front/rear brake pads and rotors with deal. Need to fix the "cobra clunk" bought diff mounts already, car has gears done not sure if they are 3:73 or 4:10 going to investigate this weekend and has Flowmaster 40 cat-back. Needs basic maintanence work done. Leather is in excellent condition no tears, exterior paint is a 9 out of 10 due to a few tiny areas of clear coat chipping. Doing oil, plugs, fuel filter, trans fluid, rear diff mounts, adding Cobra front emblem, front Mach 1chin spoiler, rear 1 " wheel spacers, H&R sport springs, Diablosport tuner, pulleys, and better intake. As far as looks I think closing the wheel gap is all the car needs. Maybe down the road a blower would be nice.

Last edited:

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Yea around here in the northeast you can't find many and most are over 10k. The kbb value on this car here in CT is 11,500$. Remember location in the country makes a difference. I found a silver 2001 with 83k miles for $12,800. Another 1999 with 50k miles $15k, so my point is this the red Cobra is a good deal in my region so I bought it! Got a new battery and front/rear brake pads and rotors with deal. Need to fix the "cobra clunk" bought diff mounts already, car has gears done not sure if they are 3:73 or 4:10 going to investigate this weekend and has Flowmaster 40 cat-back. Needs basic maintanence work done. Leather is in excellent condition no tears, exterior paint is a 9 out of 10 due to a few tiny areas of clear coat chipping. Doing oil, plugs, fuel filter, trans fluid, rear diff mounts, adding Cobra front emblem, front Mach 1chin spoiler, rear 1 " wheel spacers, H&R sport springs, Diablosport tuner, pulleys, and better intake. As far as looks I think closing the wheel gap is all the car needs. Maybe down the road a blower would be nice.

Congrats on the purchase. You have some of the basic mods figured out already. Skip the UD pulleys though, they are not safe for these engines. Add a shifter (MGW, Steeda, Hurst or Pro 5.0) and definitely get subframe connectors.

As far as the gears, my car with 4.10's spins about 2600 rpm on the highway at 70. If in doubt, jack up car, spin rear tire once and count how many times the driveshaft rotates.

There is a ton of info in the stickys and members have a lot of knowledge about these cars, so if you don't see something posted, just ask.

2004cobra615

sssvtsnake
Established Member
I just did subframes 3 days ago and I love them helps with getting power to the ground, less wheel hop and better ride quality!

Black*Death

Sleeping
Established Member

Amazing..I realize each part of the country is different but man very doubtful someone here would pay that much for a 99 Cobra.

Law of supply and demand I guess. Congrats on the purchase...99 Cobras catch some flak at times but, with the right power adder, they can be damn good..

good color choice BTW.

soccerman002

99 SVT Cobra
Established Member
Congrats on the purchase, look into one of the next-gen JLT intakes as a nice starting mod.

Oh, and another vote for an MGW shifter, best on the market.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread