roushraven

zzzZZzz
Established Member
Very nice increase.

-RR

DYNO4.jpg

lthlvpr

Established Member
You can get much more power through a pulley increase. The problem is....can the engine handle it?????
Obviously the smaller the pulley, the more boost the engine makes. You do have to worry about available belt lengths, pulley slippage, and a host of other issues related to air-fuel....

In the end of the day, I would bet your pulley added 4-5lbs boost over stock. I hope you have plenty of extra fuel and that you pulled out some timing across the entire rpm range in order to minimize detonation using pump gas.

What tuning software did you use? Are you still using the stock exhaust?
-Wayne

Paul Vincent

Established Member
lthlvpr, Just in case there is some confusion, I only posted a couple links to threads started on fordgtforum.com by piko6, so I cannot begin to answer your question; however, follow the first link I posted, and you will see that other fordgtforum.com members have already posted some good responses (but perhaps you might join that forum and post your response there too).

ronnie

Will work for Truck Parts
Established Member
I think with 16 injectors, there shouldn't be any problem with fuel. I am going to be picking up a GT block for my L soon. Putting a turbo on!!!

Fourcam330

Established Member
ronnie said:
I think with 16 injectors, there shouldn't be any problem with fuel. I am going to be picking up a GT block for my L soon. Putting a turbo on!!!

Al just finished a built GT block 5.4 for Eric Leaper who is also putting a large single turbo in his L. I believe it's an 88mm. If you're going wet sump you're also going to need to fabricate a jig to drill a dipstick hole amongst other things (like relocating the starter). Definitely worth it though.

Fourcam330

Established Member
lthlvpr said:
You can get much more power through a pulley increase. The problem is....can the engine handle it?????
Obviously the smaller the pulley, the more boost the engine makes. You do have to worry about available belt lengths, pulley slippage, and a host of other issues related to air-fuel....

In the end of the day, I would bet your pulley added 4-5lbs boost over stock. I hope you have plenty of extra fuel and that you pulled out some timing across the entire rpm range in order to minimize detonation using pump gas.

-Wayne

A few things about the internals of a Ford GT. OEM Ford 5.4L forged cranks have held 1400HP and 8000rpm before deforming. 4340 H beam rods with 7/16" rod bolts are factory underrated to 750HP/7000rpm for the 5.4, however if engine speeds are kept in check (under 7k) you can use them to 1000HP without failure. The real concern, just as in the 03/04 Cobras are the pistons. I'm sure the Mahle's are world's better than the Zollners whose skirts tend to collapse @ 550rw+; if I had to guess I would say they can take anything the stock blower could throw at them (unless it had a suicidal tune), as was the case with the 03/04s.
After a rebuild with either an off the shelf or custom set of CP pistons, 1000HP is NP. Obviously a twin screw won't get you there but you get the idea.

Last edited:

ronnie

Established Member
You guys should check out the Manley pistons that have been spec'd for the 2V Lightning blocks. JLP and JDM both have their own specs on these.

Fourcam330

Established Member
ronnie said:
You guys should check out the Manley pistons that have been spec'd for the 2V Lightning blocks. JLP and JDM both have their own specs on these.

Manley pistons are nothing like their rods, they are absolute junk (heavy ass slugs) compared to even JEs or Diamonds. CPs are bar none the highest quality aftermarket pistons available for Modulars today. I'd take the standard Ford GT/Mahle pistons over Manley's any day.

Last edited:

ronnie

Established Member
Cool---your opinion is respected. I don't what their spec's are on the Manley's, but pushing over 600 on a street tune for my L with only 15 pounds of boost and only 12 degrees of timing max. JLP is running 9's with them, but believe me when I do the new race block, a lot, I mean a lot of research will go into that first before anything is done.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread