New Q about heat exchangers (nothing in search)

Voice of Reason

Established Member
My question has to do with the need for fans. At what speed of the car will the fans become no longer useful? IE: If the car is moving at xx miles an hour the same amount of air is being pushed through the HE as when the car is at idle and the HE fans are turned on. I'm basically trying to figure out if the fans are necessary. Thanks.

bassin247

hates reposts
Established Member
Originally posted by maoun
the fans are very important for when you're idling, mostly

I don't know about very important, but they are the most beneficial when your car is not moving.

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
when talking rediators, ive always heard anything over 45-50mph u wouldnt need a fan. i think the fans would benefit for all low speed cooling..50mph and under. at least when u get on it and over 50 its been cooled right?

Friendchicken

I would say 35 miles an hour or less... just ask the flies that hit my bumper whether they are being "sucked in" or "pushed into" my heat exchanger :)

bassin247

hates reposts
Established Member
When your fan is on, it blows the air to the front of the car. When the car is moving the air is being forced to the back of the car.

If you car is moving with the fans on your are pushing air against air. You also restict the flow across the HE by mounting the fans to it.

The only real way to determine the effectiveness would be to datalog the temp before and after the HE with the fans on and off in different temperatures.

I'm willing to bet there are minimal gains.

Voice of Reason

Established Member
Originally posted by bassin247
When your fan is on, it blows the air to the front of the car. When the car is moving the air is being forced to the back of the car.

If you car is moving with the fans on your are pushing air against air. You also restict the flow across the HE by mounting the fans to it.

The only real way to determine the effectiveness would be to datalog the temp before and after the HE with the fans on and off in different temperatures.

What? Even with the fans mounted on the backside of the HE they should be setup to pull air, not push it. Basically, they should be setup the same way that the fan on our radiator is. I've never heard of a fan that would push air out. Heck, if that was the case any movement of the car at all would negate the effects of the fan. I don't think this is correct.

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
Originally posted by bassin247

what? go back to bed...

Users who are viewing this thread