New Replacement Key from the Dealership 2012 GT500

wesk1318

Had 1 of my keys stolen to my 2012 GT500 and had the dealer copy and reprogram a new one. $315 bucks out the door, $170 for the key, $80 to reprogram both (also makes the stolen one no longer active), $38 shop fee (for towels, cleaning supplies etc) and tax.

Felt a little cheated on the misc. fees but they did get me a nice loaner car for the morning.

I am told that they reprogram both the replacement key and my original one with new information.

Anyone else had the same experience?

Black Cobra '99

Established Member
LOL at being charged for shop towels for programming a new key. Also, a full hour of labor? This is why I never go to the dealer for anything other than buying a new car or having warranty work done

http://www.keyfobprogram.com/2012-ford-mustang-remote-programming/

The link you provided is for adding new keys/remotes.
OP had his keys reprogrammed so the stolen one doesn't work. That's a lot of money for something so simple, but better safe than sorry.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Shop fee is ridiculous on a ticket that doesn't use shop supplies.

The programming should be a half hour labor, plus what they charge you for the key.

Pribilof

Life's Better @ Elevation
Established Member
The link you provided is for adding new keys/remotes.
OP had his keys reprogrammed so the stolen one doesn't work. That's a lot of money for something so simple, but better safe than sorry.

Directly from my link:
"FORD REMOTE – THIS PROCEDURE RESETS ALL REMOTES FOR THE VEHICLE. ALL FUNCTIONING REMOTES WILL HAVE TO BE REPROGRAMMED DURING THE PROCEDURE"

Therefore, the linked procedure would de-link the stolen remote from OP's car.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
Directly from my link:
"FORD REMOTE – THIS PROCEDURE RESETS ALL REMOTES FOR THE VEHICLE. ALL FUNCTIONING REMOTES WILL HAVE TO BE REPROGRAMMED DURING THE PROCEDURE"

Yep. That's why you have to have ALL the keys available even when you're just adding an additional key. The old key codes are erased from memory and new ones are assigned. OP's dealership ripped him off big time. I bought a couple of the switchblade keys that were all the rage a few years ago. My dealership cut the keys for me for free, but I programmed them myself.

Papaw

Established Member
So the key I stole won't work now?

Seriously, the things dealerships charge for!
I would be totally embarrassed to hand someone a bill for shop towels and cleaning supplies for that kind of job!

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
On my earlier car (2008), I put the two original Ford keys/fobs away for safe keeping and went to a flip-key. It is soooo much more comfortable in the pocket!!

028.jpg

027.jpg

026-1.jpg

025.jpg

Since you now have two original keys again (which are required to program this flip-key), it would be a Great time to get into a flip-key, program it in your garage, and put your two original Ford keys away.

R

Black Cobra '99

Established Member
Directly from my link:

Hmmmmm, actually I'm having problems with programming a new remote. This could be why I'm having problems.

Black Cobra '99

Established Member
On my earlier car (2008), I put the two original Ford keys/fobs away for safe keeping and went to a flip-key. It is soooo much more comfortable in the pocket!!

028.jpg

027.jpg

026-1.jpg

025.jpg

Since you now have two original keys again (which are required to program this flip-key), it would be a Great time to get into a flip-key, program it in your garage, and put your two original Ford keys away.

R

Not to hijack your thread OP, but I got this exact key from ebay and its a great inexpensive mod. However, once I program the remote on this flip key the old two remotes don't work and the other way around. If I program one or two of the old remotes the new one doesn't work. Any suggestions?

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Not to hijack your thread OP, but I got this exact key from ebay and its a great inexpensive mod. However, once I program the remote on this flip key the old two remotes don't work and the other way around. If I program one or two of the old remotes the new one doesn't work. Any suggestions?

I have not even thought about my original remotes after I went to this eBay flip key, they are stored away with my two original keys. They may not work either, I will deal with that when the flip no longer works.

>>But just to verify, I will check my oem fobs and report back..............

R

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member

You didn't go through the whole programming procedure. There's a sequence for programming the remote functions and a separate sequence for programming the keys to start the car. If you want all the keys to fully function, you have to perform both sequences.

I have those same flip keys.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
I have not even thought about my original remotes after I went to this eBay flip key, they are stored away with my two original keys. They may not work either, I will deal with that when the flip no longer works.

>>But just to verify, I will check my oem fobs and report back..............

R

^^^No, my oem remotes do not work, I will have to go through the correct procedure. I had never even tried them after I changed to the flip. <<<That was the best $20+ or - key/fob investment I ever made, and no need for a dealership to program, even better!!

R

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
The flip key is nice in the pocket, not so nice in the ignition. It sticks out too far.

Black Cobra '99

Established Member
I sometimes leave the car running and lock it with the remote. Which is how I discovered that the old ones don't work.
I'm sure I went through with the whole procedure, all keys work and start the car. The problem is when I program the new remote, the old ones don't work and vice versa.

Robert, thanks for reporting back. It seems its a problem with the key not the car.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
You didn't read what I said. There are TWO sequences you have to go through to get all the remotes to work AND for the keys to start the car. One sequence is for starting the car. The other sequence is for the remote buttons to work.

Oh! Just FYI, I have experimented and found that a lot of cars won't allow the other remotes to work if the engine is running. So if you indeed did perform both programming sequences but that was the test you tried, that's probably why they don't work.

HillbillyHotRod

Hooligan rabble rouser
Established Member
Went thru the same agony when I got two spare flip keys. Program the new ones oem would not work. Program the oem the spars would not work. Finally got the sequence down so all of them now work, As said it is a two par process, at least on my 08.

Black Cobra '99

Established Member
You didn't read what I said. There are TWO sequences you have to go through to get all the remotes to work AND for the keys to start the car. One sequence is for starting the car. The other sequence is for the remote buttons to work.

I did read your post but maybe I'm misunderstanding something.
Here is what I understood and what I actually did:
From the owners manual, there is a sequence for the keys to start the car, which I performed and all my keys (both OEM and flip key) work and start the car.
The other sequence for the remotes which I also performed, but only the remote on the flip key works.

Oh! Just FYI, I have experimented and found that a lot of cars won't allow the other remotes to work if the engine is running. So if you indeed did perform both programming sequences but that was the test you tried, that's probably why they don't work.

I know for sure my car allows that because I use it all the time, and I've tried the remotes when the car is off and they don't work. But as soon as I program the OEM remotes again they work and the remote on the flip key stops working.

Users who are viewing this thread