New Search Engine: www.Cuil.com

wurd2

Bingo.
Established Member
I have not bothered to verify this, but as I heard it, a few ex-Google employees decided to start a new search engine to compete with their former employer. They claim to have 3 times as many sites indexed as Google, and 10 times as many as Microsoft. I think the interface is simple and elegant. Also, I figured it would be a good idea to spread the word about this because consumers benefit from competition among corporations.

Enjoy.

www.Cuil.com

wurd2

Bingo.
Established Member
And the search results are pretty cool, though I think people will either love it or hate it.

wurd2

Bingo.
Established Member
Haha. Good article Don Juan. I wonder what will become of cuil. I do find it funny that the Cuil vice president is claiming that they want to give people "different" search results, rather than admitting their results are just wrong. I guess they are a long way off from providing Google with worthy competition.

Grizzly Adams

Resident Hippie
Established Member
Exactly, not a good search engine. If you are going to hype it up by saying it's from some ex-google folks, don't launch a shit product.

Not too fond of the interface either.

Last edited:

wurd2

Bingo.
Established Member
I am surprised that Google does not have an easter egg programmed for a search on "cuil".

wurd2

Bingo.
Established Member
Check out Cuil's advertized philosophy:

Cuil's goal is to solve the two great problems of search: how to index the whole Internet—not just part of it—and how to analyze and sort out its pages so you get relevant results.

:lol:

I am still hoping they get their act together and offer Google competition.

carrrnuttt

My shit don't stink
Established Member
I call BS on their claims. Google currently has PETABYTES of indexed data being warehoused. Of course not all is just for their search, but let's put it this way: A data warehouse capable of housing ONE petabyte (20,000 terabytes) will cost about 200,000,000 a year to run. Yes. That's 200 MILLION.

Also, they process 20 petabytes DAILY: http://www.niallkennedy.com/blog/2008/01/google-mapreduce-stats.html

Not even Microsoft comes close to that. I doubt if some startup by a disgruntled ex-employee even sniffs at it.

SNCBOOM

Established Member
why in the hell would you think that a few rouge guys from google could create something better than the site that they were formally employed by? That doesn't even make sense. Sir; you fail.

Juruense

Banned
Heard about it yesterday, tried it yesterday, MEH...

The only real advantage is that they do not compile statistics on users, YET.

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
LOL what a horrible site. I searched "park place at van dorn" (an apartment complex I'm looking at) and it didn't find any matches. When I searched using Altavista, it came up with the company's site, plus about 200 other apartment hunting sites where it was listed.

Cuil is pronounced "F-ay-le" or simply "fail".

Juruense

Banned
I searched for "Kilgore Trout Mustang" and got a bunch of Vonnegut pages and my Modular Ford profile page and that is it? Where are all the SN and SVTP threads?

FAIL

Users who are viewing this thread