New setup.... what will I hang with?

jbusmc1986

Got Sig?
Established Member
So as I sit here in afghanistan, between all of the buying of parts and asking silly questions on forums, I began to wonder... Just what the hell will I be capable of on the street, what can I hang with, and what is just a pipe dream?

Here is the setup.
99 FRC corvette

stock motor, with g5xb cam, vortech t trim, hardened pushrods, ls7 lifters, dual springs, 60 lb injectors, upgraded fuel system,hardened output shafts in my irs, spec 3+clutch, american racing 1 7/8 headers and off road x, and 10lb's boost.

all of that plus or should I say minus weight reduction, looking to be under 3k after all is said and done.

This setup that I am going with should have me at 625-660 ish at the wheels, and weighing sub 3k. I would think that would bring me near being able to hang with liter bikes, but I dunno as I have never raced one. :pop:

red9450

Established Member
well, I dunno all that much about lsx bottom ends, but it seems like you are on the ragged edge of that motor. I'm thinking you are going to hang with the tow truck....lol.
600 at the wheels should be enough to take any 600-750, but not sure about liter bikes.

jbusmc1986

Got Sig?
Established Member
that will be right around the upper end of the stock motor's limits, won't be for long, as there will be a forged 408 going in shortly after the funds recoup. With the advances in tuning over the last 2 years, that is not very unsafe at all actually and I can think of at least 5 or 6 guys who have made this much or more with similar setups setup for a year or so with no prob. There is actually a guy now who is over 700 to the wheels with my same setup and not a single problem.

jbusmc1986

Got Sig?
Established Member
I also have something top secret up my sleeve, it's been done before, actually on a mustang. It will be very trick, I assure you. It should also allow me to somewhat extend the life of my motor for a while.

jbusmc1986

Got Sig?
Established Member
porting out your exhaust and intake with sand???

:read:You guys have caught me... I will be adding a 50/50 mix of sea foam and sand box sand to the tune of about 10 gal of this mud, directly into the blower inlet.

Just kidding, no seriously though I had a great idea the other night, and me and another guy have actually found an article where it was done to a mustang. Lets just say, I won't be changing very many pulleys on my vette. No matter what I want the boost to be.:coolman::read:

http://www.musclemustangfastfords.c...gal_supercharger_wastegate_install/index.html

so, I will plan on 5 psi most of the time and 10 when it is time to fly. BTW I guess that it isn't so top secret anymore... oh well.

Last edited:

Mport_KLR

just a gt;)
Established Member
i knew what you were talking about when i read those lines. no need to click the link. should be bad ass.

If i remember right they didnt have much luck with that. The powerband increase was very minimal and youll have to deal with the sound of CONSTANT blow off. I would look a little further into this...

And that being said...DIRECT EXHAUST INJECTION FTW!:rockon:

motivator165446.jpg

Last edited:

jbusmc1986

Got Sig?
Established Member
I just found another person doing this, another guy on corvetteforum, he said he has been doing this for about 7 months with no issue. And to the issue of the sound of constant "blow off" I am not really all that worried about it as I will already have that with a centrifugal blower and a bypass valve, untill I go wot that is. Not to mention the fact that the only real logical mounting location puts it well out of earshot with the slp loud mouths and long tubes.

jbusmc1986

Got Sig?
Established Member
so does anyone have any idea what 650 rwhp and sub 3k will net me on the street being a better than average driver. What can I take down with those figures, = 1:4.6 power to weight ratio.

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
so does anyone have any idea what 650 rwhp and sub 3k will net me on the street being a better than average driver. What can I take down with those figures, = 1:4.6 power to weight ratio.

just build the car first, how about that. thanks for fighting for our country. if you're truly going to have 600 reliable rwhp, and sub 3000lb curb weight, you should be able to hang with just about any car out there.

as far as bikes i have no idea

Atra_Diabolus

I kill Brick Walls
Established Member
I was in Iraq when I built my car. It's the best feeling in the world when you come home and drive it for the first time. :) Although, it was stock when I got back, my dad and myself put it all together. Don't just jump into a 600hp car, it takes some getting used to.

GTO30272

Established Member
How exactly do you plan on obtaining a sub 3000 pound race weight on a car that is pretty much already stripped down and the fact that you are adding weight from the blower? I'm sure you will have a sick car when all is said and done :beer: Don't focus too much on "dyno" numbers as they can be easily manipulated, but at 10lbs with Andy's kit, your car will be a monster. When you are ready to forge the bottom end and turn up the boost, you will start to realize how fast the car truly is. THANK YOU for serving our country :rockon:

jbusmc1986

Got Sig?
Established Member
How exactly do you plan on obtaining a sub 3000 pound race weight on a car that is pretty much already stripped down and the fact that you are adding weight from the blower? I'm sure you will have a sick car when all is said and done :beer: Don't focus too much on "dyno" numbers as they can be easily manipulated, but at 10lbs with Andy's kit, your car will be a monster. When you are ready to forge the bottom end and turn up the boost, you will start to realize how fast the car truly is. THANK YOU for serving our country :rockon:

True it is already light, but there are still many things that can be done to loose weight on these cars. Not too cheap though, I will be replacing many stock components with lighter ones.

vis carbon fiber hood
depo headlights
c5z wheels and non runflats
sparco evo 2 seats
light weight racing carpet
removal of pass side airbag and replacing cover
removal of drivers side air bag with aftermarket steering wheel
pfadt coilovers
headers

and the free ones: clean out trunk, get back to 160lb (185 right now with some fat to loose)or less, and run less than a full tank. :beer::coolman:

GTO30272

Established Member
True it is already light, but there are still many things that can be done to loose weight on these cars. Not too cheap though, I will be replacing many stock components with lighter ones.

vis carbon fiber hood
depo headlights
c5z wheels and non runflats
sparco evo 2 seats
light weight racing carpet
removal of pass side airbag and replacing cover
removal of drivers side air bag with aftermarket steering wheel
pfadt coilovers
headers

and the free ones: clean out trunk, get back to 160lb (185 right now with some fat to loose)or less, and run less than a full tank. :beer::coolman:

I would venture to guess that you still will be over a 3000 lb race weight but I wish you luck in your goal. However, that last idea is a BIG :nono: With an FI C5 and dual pump setup, you never want to run less than a 1/4 tank of gas. Not saying you would run it that low, but those few pounds of fuel you are worried about are not worth the risk of starving the motor for fuel, not to mention that it is weight over the rear tires and you are going to need help with traction. Like I said, the car will be an animal, but definitely do not try to run low on fuel just to save some weight as it just is not worth it. :beer: I'm sure you are going to love the car when it is all done. FI C5's are just a blast.

Last edited:

jbusmc1986

Got Sig?
Established Member
the a and a fuel sys that comes with the kit is a single pump still I believe, but I was just saying less than full, not nearly empty. There is not much in my area, so if I cruise to the local spot, maybe 1 mile from my house, with a half tank I think that would be more that sufficient seeing as there probly wont be anyone worth racing other than the very occasional bike.

Even if I am slightly over 3k I will be happy, car doesn't way much over that to begin with anyway, and I am sure that I will offset the weight of the supercharger with all of the reduction.

Last edited:

jbusmc1986

Got Sig?
Established Member
so does anyone have any idea of what I should be able to hang with....
twin screw cobras, bikes, vipers, what would I need to watch out for on the street and what wouldn't be worth my time?

Alb Cobra

Established Member
With 600+ to the wheels you would put it on most cars out there as long as you can put the power to the ground. Good luck with the build. I would not mind having a 600+ rwhp Vette!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread