New Shelby article in Speed magazine

NVWSSV

Read It Upside Down
Established Member
Thanks man, I woudn't want to type all of that again either. So Eaton Roots Type it shall be!

Hoyt Clagwell

thanks for the article.

NOT A SPORTS CAR ???

about the weight:

"...it's bulk enough to keep from calling this Shelby a sports car. ... it shakes like a wet dog as the nicely-riding, street tuned springs and shocks begin to lose control of the forces in motion."

Formula51

Established Member
Hoyt Clagwell said:
thanks for the article.

NOT A SPORTS CAR ???

about the weight:

"...it's bulk enough to keep from calling this Shelby a sports car. ... it shakes like a wet dog as the nicely-riding, street tuned springs and shocks begin to lose control of the forces in motion."

Not all that surprising. I would not call the GT500 a sports car either. I think it is 100% a modern day Muscle Car! An unbalanced, heavy car with a giant engine, producing tons of power, which makes the car ridiculously fast at the drag strip. Thats basically what the old Muscle Cars were. Sure this one will drive circles around them, but thats to be expected, its 2007!

Fourcam330

Established Member
"The GT500's handling is awesome. Turn-in was precise and the line around corners accurate and linear. With the new Mustang's elongated wheelbase, the big engine's heft is carried mainly between the axles, for minimal understeer. We found ourselves nit-picking our apexing and car placement, pleasantly surprised that the big Shelby would let us. This is real progess over even last year's Mustang Cobra, much less a '68 GT-500."

01L2 feel free to chew on that.

Formula51

Established Member
Thats definitely good to hear. But poor weight distribution is poor weight distribution any way you slice it. Sounds like the suspension geometry and shock package might be getting the most out of the unbalanced design and that is certainly good to hear. It does not change the fact that it is unbalanced and heavy, and therefore could be worlds better.

Fourcam330

Established Member
Formula51 said:
Thats definitely good to hear. But poor weight distribution is poor weight distribution any way you slice it. Sounds like the suspension geometry and shock package might be getting the most out of the unbalanced design and that is certainly good to hear. It does not change the fact that it is unbalanced and heavy, and therefore could be worlds better.

In what country and on what highway/road do you suppose you'll be able to fully exploit the handling limits of a GT500 on street tires?

davefzr

Established Member
No road exists that will give you that... You can only fully exploit the effectiveness of a car on a road course.. Something I fully intend on doing when I get mine.. :)

If I get it is more like it. I am still not completely sold on the weight and will have to wait until all of the major publications get to road test it as well as test driving the beast myself.

Last edited:

drmustang

Banned
Saying that this is not a sports car is accurate. Don't know what label you would actually use but definitely not a true sports car. If you want a sports car, consider a clean, low mileage, late model C5. They can be had for high 20s to low 30s and will have a small fraction of the depreciation that will be seen on the GT500s.

E. Green Cobra

Bounced in the 1st!
Established Member
Fourcam330 said:
In what country and on what highway/road do you suppose you'll be able to fully exploit the handling limits of a GT500 on street tires?
I guess you could say the same thing about 450rwhp and similar tq-dont ya think?

Last edited:

Fourcam330

Established Member
E. Green Cobra said:
I guess you could say the same thing about 450rwhp and similar tq-dont ya think?

A person can mash the throttle and appreciate brutal acceleration just about anywhere in any gear. If you lived in London it might be a different story ;-)

jshen

Established Member
Sure

Fourcam330 said:
A person can mash the throttle and appreciate brutal acceleration just about anywhere in any gear. If you lived in London it might be a different story ;-)

I do it all the time...right up to the posted speed limit......... :D

Fourcam330

Established Member
jshen said:
I do it all the time...right up to the posted speed limit......... :D

Exactly. Though much to my dismay apparently in Florida and Texas you can get a ticket for that... :shrug:

jshen

Established Member
That' true

Fourcam330 said:
Exactly. Though much to my dismay apparently in Florida and Texas you can get a ticket for that... :shrug:

Some states "exhibition of speed" statute gets them. We have "laying drags", reckless driving, engaging in a contest of speed, and aggressive driving. If there is a clear road AND nobody else side by side AND no spinning that causes fishtailing...none would really apply...I hope...Besides at $2.40 per gallon, I stay out of boost...for poverty sake..

Users who are viewing this thread