New Spec Stage 3+ clutch disc spinning?

ForceFedFan

Established Member
I recently installed a new Spec Stage 3+ clutch in my 03 Cobra. I drove it normally for the first 500 miles to make sure it broke in properly. When I ordered the clutch I added the LPP option and the billet aluminum pressure plate. The pedal pressure literally feels like I'm driving a Honda Civic, it feels way to light. It's so light I'm wondering how the clutch could have enough clamping pressure to hold any power. In the last few days I've made a couple pulls on it to see how it would hold. At 60 mph I downshifted to third and tried to accelerate, my rpms shot through the roof but it was almost like I had the car in neutral, it didn't pull at all. I thought maybe I somehow missed the gear but I tried it again twice with the same outcome. I installed a new FRPP pilot and throwout bearing, a new Lethal Performance throwout retainer sleeve, and a new Fidanza aluminum flywheel. During install I cleaned the flywheel and pressure plate repeatedly with brake cleaner until I was sure there was no residue of any kind on either surface. The car accelerates fine through all 6 gears under normal acceleration. I am getting some rattle from the clutch cable that obviously needs to be adjusted and I have a steeda quadrant (the aggressive one that basically forces you to dump the clutch). Has anyone experienced an issue like this? I'm new to this forum but not new to working on cars, lol. The car is tuned to approx 500/500 at the wheels w/ a Steigmeier ported blower, 2.9" pulley and a hundred other bolt ons. Thanks for any ideas or suggestions.

03' White Snake

Established Member
Sounds like the clutch is not fully engaging. You might need to adjust the clutch cable. Where's the clutch engaging? Do you have aftermarket quadrant and fw adjuster?

I did not order the LPO and mine is just as light as stock. I've been telling everyone not to waste your money on the LPO.

ForceFedFan

Established Member
I do have the steeda quadrant and the adjustment at the firewall that the cable goes through. Shortly after install, I could hear what sounded like a bad speedometer cable, I gave the firewall adjuster 3/4 of a turn counter-clockwise and it went away for about 100 miles but then reappeared. I can now apply light pressure to the clutch pedal and the noise goes away. When the clutch was installed I set both the fork and firewall adjustment in approx the middle so I could tighten or loosen either one, either way. There is no feathering this clutch, it's either on or off, it engages at about 3/4's of the pedal travel up from the floor. I'm really surprised and somewhat concerned about how light the pedal is. I own an 03 Mach 1 also w/ a stock clutch. The Mach 1's stock clutch is probably twice as stiff as the new Spec in the Cobra. I think the Steeda quick engagement quadrant and the billet aluminum pressure plate in the Spec are probably not the best combination. Since I don't have the heavier pressure plate I lose a lot of the spun mass inertia needed to get the car going from a stop, it requires me to engage first gear at a higher rpm. With the quick engagement quadrant and the higher rpm's required to get the car going from standing still, it's very easy to go from sitting still to bucking like a Bronco, or on the other end, stalled at a red light.

03' White Snake

Established Member
Mine is an on-off switch too. Thats the nature of the 3+. It takes a lot of time to get used to it. It made me look like I was driving a stick for the first a few times. I'm used to it now and really like it.

Shadow Grey 03

Established Member
Sounds like the adjustment is off, or the disk is bad already. Also, the noise you were hearing was most likely the TOB. Did you put any grease on the retainer sleeve or any grease on the inside of the TOB?

Users who are viewing this thread