New SVT lease plan-- what does it mean?

PhillyCobra

Established Member
Saw this posted at SVTOA site-- memo from Tom Scarpello. Clearly new Cobra is to be a 2007, not 2006, with "target date" of June, 2006. Residual is 58% after 30 months. Sounds kinda low?? What do folks think of all this?

To: All SVT Dealers
Subject: SVT PowerLease Program

2004 SVT PowerLease Program Announcement:

The SVT PowerLease is a special RCL program designed for customers who may be delaying the purchase of an SVT vehicle in anticipation of the next-generation SVT Mustang Cobra or SVT F-150 Lightning.
SVT PowerLease allows the customer to lease a 2004 SVT Mustang Cobra or SVT F-150 Lightning today at a special lease rate, AND receive an option to purchase/lease a next-generation SVT Vehicle, with prioritized scheduling privileges.
Background:

Production of the 2004 SVT Mustang Cobra ends April 2, 2004, and production of the 2004 F-150 Lightning ends May 8, 2004
In November 2003, SVT announced that:
There will be no 2005MY SVT products available
The rollout of the next-generation SVT products will begin with the SVT F-150 Lightning in the 2006MY, followed by the SVT Mustang Cobra
Due to the tremendous response to the new F-150 and Mustang, many customers have expressed interest in the SVT versions of these new products. SVT dealers have reported that some customers are choosing to wait for the next-generation versions rather than purchase a 2004 SVT product
How to Use SVT PowerLease:

Use SVT PowerLease with customers who express interest in the next-generation SVT Mustang Cobra or SVT F-150 Lightning
Explain to customers that:
The next-generation SVT F-150 Lightning is tentatively planned to enter
production in December 2005 as a 2006MY, and the next-generation SVT
Mustang Cobra is tentatively planned for June 2006 production as a 2007MY
PowerLease allows a customer to drive a 2004 SVT on a short-term lease, while they are waiting for the next-generation SVT
Those customers who PowerLease a 2004 SVT will receive an "option" to purchase one of the first, next-generation SVT Cobra or Lightning units with priority scheduling, ensuring they receive one of the first vehicles produced
The PowerLease term will be designed to coincide with the availability of thenext-generation SVT vehicle; e.g., the Lightning term is 24 months, and the Cobra term is 30 months

Use the following payment calculations to show the attractiveness of PowerLease pricing:
Program Details:

Program dates: April 1, 2004–June 30, 2004
PowerLease terms will be:
30-month for the 2004MY SVT Mustang Cobra
24-month for the 2004MY F-150 Lightning
Lease terms can be extended or shortened by three months at no charge to coincide with delivery of the next-generation unit
Special financing rates and residuals are included in the program
PowerLease customers receive an option on a next-generation SVT vehicle. The option is transferable
PowerLease option units will be incremental to SVT dealer allocation
SVT dealers are not obligated to sell a next-generation unit to an option holder. Likewise, option holders are not obligated to purchase the next-generation unit from the original leasing dealer
Model MSRP Dealer
Discount Sale
Price Cap Cost
Reduction ACQ
Fee Cap
Cost Lease
Term Residual RCL
Rate
Prog:
#6082 RCL
Payment
Cobra
Coupe $35,370 $1,061 $34,309 $2,500 $595 $32,404 30 Mo. 58% 4.5% $495.00
Cobra
Conv. $39,750 $1,193 $38,557 $2,500 $595 $38,562 30
Mo. 58% 4.5% $554.00
F-150
Lightning $33,560 $1,007 $32,553 $2,500 $595 $30,648 24
Mo. 61% 3.35% $495.00

Summary

The SVT PowerLease gives SVT dealers an effective tool to retain current SVT Customers and provides a bridge in to the next generation SVT.

We hope you find the SVT PowerLease program a useful and effective sales tool.

Sincerely,
Tom Scarpello
SVT Marketing & Sales Manager

PhillyCobra

Established Member
Looks like $495/mo for coupe and $595 for vert for 30 mos, with $2500 down (I assume you could negotiate that, though). Also, the usual fees, if I'm reading it right. That adds up to $17,500 to drive a coupe for 30 months, $20,500 for a vert, unless you negotiate a better deal on the cap cost reduction.

The real interesting thing here to me is the delay in production ("tentative" date of June, 2006) to 2007 for the next Cobra, and that's if they're on time. Other interesting point is the residual of 58% after 30 mo. I'm not knowledgable enough to know if this is high or low, but doesn't seem too high to me. Don't know what residuals were set at for earlier Cobra leases, but know the deals weren't very attractive.

FLBuckeye

Established Member
Also thought this was the real stink:
"SVT dealers are not obligated to sell a next-generation unit to an option holder"
HAHAHA ...In June 2006:
Can you say $5,000 + MSRP all over again !!

A Cobra in the garage now........is worth....

PhillyCobra

Established Member
So it looks like your option to purchase would not be any financial advantage for getting a new Cobra. Just gets you in the door if you feel must buy at the beginning when prices are the highest. This is obviously a marketing strategy to maintain interest and demand for SVT while there are no new products. I wonder if the lease terms are any better than what was available before this deal? Anyone know?

Guys who were waiting for the new car, get your 2004 Cobra now! "Tentative" release of new car in June 2006!!! I'd bet we'll see it in 2007.

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
the way Ford has been screwing owners on their warranties, I'd be worried about getting raped on "excessive wear & tear" charges on a lease turn-in.....

fr03cobra

Established Member
lease

lease's suck.:bash: :burn:

just pay cash like me.:beer:

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
Re: lease

Originally posted by fr03cobra
lease's suck.:bash: :burn:

just pay cash like me.:beer:

with loan rates so low, I couldn't justify laying out that much cash...I'd rather keep it invested and (most likely) earn a higher rate of return than the 4-5% APR on the car note

Last edited:

wjfawb0

Established Member
I am paying $568/month for four years and I'll own mine after the 48 months is up. Why lease? It really doesn't get you that much cheaper of a payment, and you won't own the car. :shrug:

-Jason

PhillyCobra

Established Member
Some people lease for tax reasons. If you deduct your car for work or business, there is a limited deduction for depreciation (total amount and amount per year) if you own the car, but full deductibility if you lease. This is why so many high end cars are leased (probably a majority of BMW's and Benz's). I don't think this is fair (like a lot of the tax code), but this is a market SVT has never tapped.

Again, the real interesting thing about this announcement is that the soonest we'll see a new Cobra is a "tentative" June 2006.

Users who are viewing this thread