New tail lights, car wont turn over

Badasssapper67

Established Member
This is weird. I put in new tail lights (stock Cobra lights) and had the trunk up of course the whole time so the trunk light was on.
Before working on the car I started it up and drove it to the gas station to get a Coke. Drove it back and it started up with no issues.
Replaced the tail lights and went to start it up. I heard a click and then nothing. No dash lights no head lights not even a try to turn the starter like a switch turned the car off.
I checked the fuel pump relay and the button was down and I noticed the trunk light was on. I put the portable starter on it and it immediately dropped in charge but still not a thing, didnt even try to turn the starter.
Hooked up the jumper cables still nothing. I took the cables off and put the multi-meter on the battery and it registered 12.6 but wouldnt even try to start the car. Then I got in and the dash lit up and the gages swept and I tried to start it put as soon as I turned the key everything died.
Is there a fuse that controls the starter circuit? Any help would be appreciated.

Badasssapper67

Established Member
Somehow it has to do with the car alarm. I noticed when I took off the old lights there was a little box next to the trunk vent on the outside of the trunk and behind the rear bumper cover. with a wire hooked up to the tail lights.

It looked like a control box for a trailer plug. I dont know anything about car alarms and I couldnt think of any circuit in the tail lights that is 12V constantly on so I didnt think it had anything to do with the alarm but not the alarm wont arm.
Any ideas?

Michaelslilgray

I need more gas...
Established Member
It honestly sounds like your battery has a bad cell in it... it will test out voltage fine... but if you put too much of a strain on it the cranking amps go to hell. IF its not that... you screwed up a ground somewhere... (which i dont see happening by just changing the tail lights.

Badasssapper67

Established Member
Pic#1 tail light alarm box?

taillightalarm1_zps7dcff550.jpg.html

Badasssapper67

Established Member
Im wondering if the stock alarm is shutting the car off. I talked to the guys at Napa and they said you can access the cars factory alarm through the radio. Unfortunately, I have an after market head unit.

Is there another way to reset the factory alarm?

Badasssapper67

Established Member
So I called a dealer about the pats, called an alarm installer about the Viper alarm. Dealer said the pats doesnt act like that. If it was pats the dash would still light up, installer said viper system doesnt act like this, it cant shut the whole car down.
It has to be a fuse or a relay. It's raining out but I'll update once I get to accessing the fuse box(es).
Not sure what all is involved, how many fuses, relays, and fusible links, but I will let you know how it turns out.

Badasssapper67

Established Member
Yep, I did that and got nothing. I've ruled out everything except fuses, relays and fusable links. I dont have an owners manual so I have to research which circuits go to which fuses.

Badasssapper67

Established Member
The theft light comes on whenever I turn the key or turn it off. I called a dealer and they said I should still have power to the dashboard and a car alarm installer said no viper system or any system would shut all the power down. I've got no head lights, no power anywhere except that theft light.
I feel like a heel even bringing this up now after making such a deal about all the alarms and tail lights and that wasnt even it.

Badasssapper67

Established Member
So, I've disconnected the battery and Im going to let it sit for an hour or so and listen for clicking when I hook it back up.
The thing is I cant look under the dash. I got myself a going away present from the taliban and now I can only work on things if its in a certain height. Im getting ancy because it's been threatening to rain hard and I cant get the damn pass side window up....
Man I hate electrical problems.
I dont know what circuit the tail lights are in and I dont see how even a BAD short in the tail lights would cause a maxi fuse under the hood or the starter relay to burn up.

Users who are viewing this thread