New thermostat and housing-car does not reach operating temp

davegess

Established Member
Thermostat housing leaking badley so took it to the shop. They replaced the thermostat housing and thermostat and now the car (2003 SVT Focus) will not reach mormal operating temps.

It is darn cold outside, about zero, but 45 minutes on the freeway should bring the oil and water up to something near the middle of the gauge. Water come up a bit, maybe 15% off the bottom, and I get some heat from the heate but the oil does not move off the peg.

Ideas? I think a bum thermostat but the shop says it warms up fine when it is inside the shop. This is just a plain mechanical thermostat, no temp sensors or something else that could mess this up?

Steve@Tasca

Wow, there's some great diagnostics "It warms up fine when it's indoors" :bash:

I'd say bad stat or air lock, get it as warm as you can and start touching radiator hoses and heater hoses and see if they all get warm.

Is the degas tank full? Any idea what brand parts they used?

-Steve

davegess

Established Member
I'll try and fool with it this weekend. It is supposed to get all the way up to 20 tomorrow!

I taped all the air intakes shut for the radiator and oil cooler and the car gets to operating temperature but it takes a while. I'm going to have to open them up tomorrow when the warm front come through;)

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
Even if they messed up the thermostat somehow (left it out?), would that affect the oil temp enough to keep the gauge from moving

blk00gtvert

Established Member
The oil temp gauge in the svtf is fake. It does not read the oil temp at all. Its calculated of the coolant temp.

T stat is either bad or installed incorrectly. Change it again. Trust me i know these cars inside and out

davegess

Established Member
I'm going back next week and tell them to do it or I'll dispute the CC charge. Since they never asked me to sign the paperwork about estimates or authorizing a repair they are on thin ice.

The coolant level when cold is right where it should be.

03#1965

Established Member
Now that's disappointing...I knew the oil temp was fake, but that's the first I've heard about the pressure gauge reading nothing meaningful.

Users who are viewing this thread