New to 03/04s...few questions!

StoplightWarrior

Established Member
Hey guys...I'm about to get an 03 Cobra and I have a few questions...the one I'm getting is fairly well modded. It has full bassani exhaust from the headers back, ported blower, pulley, intake, t.b, coilovers, brakes, a tune, and a few other things. Anyway, I've been reading the archives and I had a few questions:
I want to swap the stock pulley back on, cause he made 441rwhp with it and 501rw with the new one...but I really don't need 501rwhp for my daily driver. Can I throw the stock pulley back on without getting a retune?

How do I check the idler pulley to see if needs to be replaced?

What is a heat exchanger?

Any other tips or tricks for maintanance are greatly appreciated! Looking forward to picking her up!!

JAXCOBRA99

Established Member
You could put the stock pulley back on but I would imagine it won't really run very well with that smaller pulley tune.. Probably be extremely rich, timing issues, etc.. Really depends though on what size pulley is on there..

The idler pulley aftermarket? If so there's really no reason to change it unless you suspect it's going bad from excessive play or noise.. Unless you have a specific reason to suspect it needs checking assume it's fine.

The heat exchanger is the lower radiator looking piece at the lower opening of your front bumper.. You'll probably have to do a search for some pics of the stock heat exchanger in order to compare it to what you have so you'll know if it's been upgraded or not..

postban

...rollin on 20's
Established Member
StoplightWarrior said:
...snip......but I really don't need 501rwhp for my daily driver. ...snip...

:bs:

Easiest way to fix that, moderate use of the pedal on the right, don't go de-modding for dd use. I dd mine................

Juiced-03

Established Member
I think your name looks familiar from the norcal-ls1 forum. You will love the Cobra! I can't imagine your idler pulley needing replacing especially if it is from Billetflow. They last forever. I would not recommend using the stock pulley with your current tune because it will be very rich and you will probably be blowing a little black smoke. I honestly would keep the pulley on there as you will eventually want more from it anyway!

A heat exchanger is the radiator looking thing directly behind the front bumper cover. You can see it from the front of the car. It cools the fluid that goes to the intercooler under the blower. An aftermarket heat exchanger will have more surface area which will allow more cooling. It lowers IAT temps and keeps your Cobra running more consistently after back to back run. The stock one is really inadequate when you run more than stock boost.

StoplightWarrior

Established Member
Thanks for the info thus far, guys...keep it coming!

And Juiced, I was on Norcal for awhile. I had a Supercharged Black 2000 GT, then I sold it and got a 99 z28 (dyno'ed 330rwhp with lid/cutout/pulley!) then sold that and bought the Supra, and now I'm getting rid of the Supra and getting the 03. My search for simple, reliable horsepower has led me to the 03 Cobra. :cool:

Fast Willy

Established Member
Yup, you should def get a re-tune if your going to put the stock pulley back on the thing because of fuel and timing issues your going to have.

The heat exchanger is the front radiator looking piece that you can see threw the big hole in the front bumper. The stock one is black and an aftermarket one is silver unless the person before you had it painted black.

707RIDAH

Established Member
StoplightWarrior said:
Thanks for the info thus far, guys...keep it coming!

And Juiced, I was on Norcal for awhile. I had a Supercharged Black 2000 GT, then I sold it and got a 99 z28 (dyno'ed 330rwhp with lid/cutout/pulley!) then sold that and bought the Supra, and now I'm getting rid of the Supra and getting the 03. My search for simple, reliable horsepower has led me to the 03 Cobra. :cool:

Hey if you dont want it to be that fast i can always swap blowers with you. I have a stock unported blower that I will trade for your ported blower. Let me know :D

Cobra Nate

Banned
StoplightWarrior said:
Hey guys...I'm about to get an 03 Cobra and I have a few questions...the one I'm getting is fairly well modded. It has full bassani exhaust from the headers back, ported blower, pulley, intake, t.b, coilovers, brakes, a tune, and a few other things. Anyway, I've been reading the archives and I had a few questions:
I want to swap the stock pulley back on, cause he made 441rwhp with it and 501rw with the new one...but I really don't need 501rwhp for my daily driver. Can I throw the stock pulley back on without getting a retune?

How do I check the idler pulley to see if needs to be replaced?

What is a heat exchanger?

Any other tips or tricks for maintanance are greatly appreciated! Looking forward to picking her up!!

Leave the pulley on Faig...or I will own you as usual. :p

- Aj -

Established Member
Damn, Stoplight! Will you ever be set with one car?

(I'm following you from forum to forum!) :loser:

StoplightWarrior

Established Member
Hmmm....will I ever be happy with one car? No. Definitely no.

Hopefully I'll get to the point where I can afford to own many, many cars...or at least 4-5...

I guess I'll just leave the pulley on, too.

Quick Strike

Established Member
I have had a 2.8 pulley, SC porting and tune for my 03 almost since the beginning. I drive it every day the sun is supposed to shine and have 22K miles on the odometer. I sent out the SC this spring for updated porting and routine maintenance. The SC was in perfect condition and required no extra attention. I added a 4 lb. lower pulley and some other mods at that time, and I still take it every day the weatherman predicts no rain. I think it is a good idea to pull the supercharger at more regular intervals for a check up and routine maintenance with the smaller pulley. Stiegemeier provides an ongoing update and check-up service for SCs ported by them for a very reasonable price.

Last edited:

StoplightWarrior

Established Member
Quick Strike said:
I have had a 2.8 pulley, SC porting and tune for my 03 almost since the beginning. I drive it every day the sun is supposed to shine and have 22K miles on the odometer. I sent out the SC this spring for updated porting and routine maintenance. The SC was in perfect condition and required no extra attention. I added a 4 lb. lower pulley and some other mods at that time, and I still take it every day the weatherman predicts no rain. I think it is a good idea to pull the supercharger at more regular intervals for a check up and routine maintenance with the smaller pulley. Stiegemeier provides an ongoing update and check-up service for SCs ported by them for a very reasonable price.

hmmm...or I can just wait for the stocker to break then throw on a KB :thumbsup:

ralphy1798

Established Member
It depends on how it was tuned. If it was tuned using the MAF V, you should be fine with the stock pulley swap. If it was tuned by the timing and fuel tables exclusively, you should get a retune.

Jeff

Users who are viewing this thread