New to auto-x!

Teej281

Established Member
Hey guys,
Thought I would post in this section because I've started to setup my car for auto-x events. I have a 2002 Mustang GT convertible and I'm getting an 03 Cobra IRS put in with a Full Tilt Boogie Racing bushing kit and coilovers on all 4 corners. My tires that I'm going to run are Nitto NT05's and I need some pointers on auto-x driving. I love taking turns at speed and I enjoy quick, agile racing...but i need some tips and pointers on how to take on my first event, which will be at Mustang Week and I'd really like to not look like a fool in front of all those people, even though it is my first time doing it. So if you all could throw some pointers my way and maybe some techniques to start trying in parking lots to hone in on, I'd really appreciate it! Thanks guys!

Teej

TroyV

Brakes only slow you down
Established Member
This book will answer all of your questions... It is a must read.

Welcome to the go fast crack pipe. :)

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Secrets-Solo-Racing-Henry-Watts/dp/0962057312]Amazon.com: Secrets of Solo Racing: Expert Techniques for Autocrossing and Time Trials…[/ame]

Bullitt2655

'01 Bullitt
Established Member
Have look here

[ame=http://www.sdsolo.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2418]Autocross Documentary - San Diego Region SCCA Forums[/ame]

Also, try to find an EVO school in your area!

SVTCobra306

Established Member
The key is to get to a local event and just do it, participate in a course walk through "novice walk" if possible, etc. It's much more important to get seat time than to mod the car.. a fast car in autocross will always get beat by a fast driver. No amount of books/videos/mods will make you fast, you have to drive, get experience, ask questions, and be willing to learn from someone driving a Mini or a Miata..

I'll be there mixing it up with you at the MW Autocross..

Last edited:

Teej281

Established Member
^Sweet!!! Maybe while we're there you can give me a few pointers!!! lol but my dad drives a miata...maybe i should take that to a local event, even though there arent many around here and my schedule is tight working 3 jobs at the moment.

SVTCobra306

Established Member
Central Pennsylvania SCCA

Check these guys out.. looks like they have pretty regular events.

FWIW from what I've seen of vids from last years MW autocross it wasn't anything spectacular as far as auto-x courses go. Looked pretty slow, and the turns were lined entirely with cones rather than giving you some freedom to find a line through them.. OK for a total Newb at autocross..

Teej281

Established Member
Haha yea, thats how it was 3 years ago when i went. So it should be right up my alley then since im a total newb with this. lol

Users who are viewing this thread