new to diesels

01_Svt venom

Established Member
In the market for a diesel truck. I was looking for a 99-02 superduty with the 7.3. Most of them have over 100,000 miles which from what i have read is nothing for these motors, but my concern was the transmission and other parts. How are the autos in these trucks? I really would like to get a manual but they seem like they are hard to find. Anything else you would be concerned about in these years?

FORD4U

Established Member
My SD is a 99 F250 PSD and im setting at 255,xxx runs great, i have a tuner and cai. havent had any problems over the last couple years other then batteries replaced and a ball joint. what are your plans with the truck? the 7.3's are great engines the trans seem to make about 200,xxx for the autos before they need some work, but that all depends, mines way past that and its doing great, i do recomend a valve body for the auto, helps keep down on the heat and a newer trans cooler is good too, the 6spds are pricy and still have there share of probs too. i like my auto. transfercase is strong unless you do somthing dumb. front and rears are good as well. the dana 60 is only avil for the 03 and up i think it is. mines a dana 50 but i have had no issues, i hear that ball joints go bad kinda quick but i just replaced mine so time will tell. they really are good truck but just remember they are a decade old so expect things to happen. oh and as for the milage, i would rather have a higer milage older truck that has been takin care of versus a low milage older truck, i've red a decent amount on these 7.3's and once they are older its hard on them to set alot between trips ie. "low milage" trucks.

ford fanatic

Four Eyed Freak
Established Member
I've had an auto and a 6 speed in my 7.3 diesels, the manual IMO is a pain in the ass to drive. Find a good low mileage 7.3 auto with good maintenance records.

tj04cobra

Established Member
In the market for a diesel truck. I was looking for a 99-02 superduty with the 7.3. Most of them have over 100,000 miles which from what i have read is nothing for these motors, but my concern was the transmission and other parts. How are the autos in these trucks? I really would like to get a manual but they seem like they are hard to find. Anything else you would be concerned about in these years?

The 7.3 motor is stout. When you go to look at one shine a light down into the valley of the motor and make sure you don't see oil or fuel. Oil and fuel leaks are pretty commom. They are common from the high pressure oil pump fittings and fuel leaks from the fuel filter housing, drain valve and the fuel line that goes from the fuel filter housing to the back of the passanger side head. So are coolant leaks from the upper hose area, the thermostat and waterpump. 7.3 injectors are pretty expensive and cost a small fortune when its time for them to be replaced. So make sure you plug the block heater cord in come cold weather season. You can leave it plugged in over night. The cord is usually behind the front licence plate. If the truck doesn't come with the cord, they are not very expensive and the block heater is located on the driver side of the block. When its cold out make sure you fully cycle the glow plugs before you fire it up, don't just get in it and immediately crank it.

The trans is another thing I would look after. In my opinion, I'd say find one that hasn't had a chip or tuner on it because that can cause some damage. High milage 4r100 no like lead foot lol. A 6.0 trans cooler which is giant compared to the 7.3 trans cooler would be a good investment. I wouldnt get a manual unless you're set on one. Not because they are bad or anything, just personal opinion.

Another thing you might have to go thru on a higher milage truck would be front end components. Depends on how the truck was treated by previous owner(s).

Hope this helps a little. Goodluck with your search as well. PM me if you find one and want a list of small cheap mods that will help some of these issues out.

Users who are viewing this thread