New to Forum: Just Bought 2001 Lightning, Have Questions....

Black SVT in KC

Established Member
I just bought a 2001 Lightning, and I would like to get it to run high 12's. Everyone I talk to here in KC keep telling me they are blowing trannies left and right, and one guy went thru a motor and a tranny at less than 3000 miles on a 2001 Lightning with just a chip (I thought it could be from poor choice of chip). If the stock components are that week then I am not sure if I want to mess with this thing or not

I would love to add exhaust, chip, pulley/s, air intake, and mass air. From what I am seeing on here, this should get it to low 13's, high 12's. I am not sure what company to go with either, I see most people on this forum are all gung ho on JDM, and the guys up here are that way about JL. Any pro's or con's on either? Help.....

01_Lightning

Established Member
I just got a 2001 lightning, and I know how you feel. From reading a lot of the posts on this forum it seems a lot of people have mechanical problems. I hope this doesn't happen with all of them.

mocklab

hmmm....
I've been watching this board for only a month or so, but I've been on the F150online for well over a year. And of all the one I hear blowing themselves up have been doing serioud mods and racing. I mean pushing them to the limit. JDM recently blew his motor, but he is a tuner who has done extensive modifications and racing, trying to push it to the limit. Most people put <$1000 into it with Chip, Pully, & Filter and are in the 12's. Toss in Shift Kit, Nitrous and your close to low 12's to 11's. I say this from what I've read.
I recently got my beautiful Silver 2001 Lightning :r: so I'm waitng for a coupld thousand mile before doing anything to it. Apparently they really open up after 2000 miles.
I hope some of this helps.

nminor

Established Member
Hey Black SVT in KC- Are you refering to my truck? I have the silver 01 that is currently getting a new motor. Here are the facts about my truck. The truck has 10,000 miles , and it did get a new transmission put in it in July. The motor was not damaged from using a chip. The motor was damaged from being in a wreck. The truck rolled onto its side and starved 4 cylinders of oil , resulting in bearing failure which damaged the crank, then damaged the block. My truck Never leaned out and the internals such as rods and pistons were not damaged from the use of chip, pulley,etc..

The local dealership and my insurance co did extensive testing to try to prove that the damage was done by me and not the wreck. They were proved wrong once the motor was taken completly apart. I am not trying to prove you wrong, I just want to make it clear to you and the people that read your post that these trucks can handle pwer to an extent and not to be worried about running just a chip and pulley.

I wish you good luck with your truck, These Lightnings are Awesome!! I believed you asked for my opinion earlier on who's products to chose. I meet Jeff (Need4Speed) last weekend and he made 400 hp at the wheels using all of JDM's products. I run JL's products but JDM's products seem to be very nice !! Feel free to email me anytime . Maybee we can meet sometime for a beer and invite other Lightning owners for a round or two.... Take Care-Neil

Black SVT in KC

Established Member
Neil, I was talking about a 2001 Black Lightning on Olathe Ford's used car lot w/ 3300 miles. I ran into the old owner or his friend this weekend and he said it had a chip and that was it, and it went thru a motor and tranny. Made me feel like I bought a bucket. The other L I was reffering to is a kid I spoke to at Heartland Park last week that had a red 99 w/ 14k on his and he said he's been thru 3 trannies, and he just has headers, exhaust, and a chip. I had heard about yours but what I heard is what you just stated.

We should get together and get other L owners here in KC together for a meet........ Anyone in the KC metro area that would be up for a gathering please reply to this post.

nminor

Established Member
Did You run your truck at Heartland? I know alot of people from Topeka who own Lightnings. We'll jave to get them down to KC for a gathering. I should have my truck back by next week. Do you ever post on NLOC.org? You can find all of the KC people at the MKLO section. Take Care-Neil:D

Black SVT in KC

Established Member
I didn't run mine... I only had 450 miles on it that night. I will check out that other site.... I guess I need to send a check for $30 or something to join?

I will be out this weekend, shoot me an email and I will give you my cell #. We can meet for a beer somewhere. I can get a bunch of quick cars together, but I still don't really know anyone w/ lightnings.. mainly LS1 cars and Bikes. Later

Don's Bolt

Blown Stang
Established Member
Black SVT in KC
I have a 2001 Lightning, with over 20,000 miles.

I have been running a JDM chip and filter since day one, and have had zero problems. Since then I have added a electric fan, magna flow muffler, line mod, Lower pulley, and traction bars. I have raced it a bunch of times with no problems.

Friday I will be adding one or two little mods to get it even faster.

If you want to get into the 12's get a chip filter and lower pulley and you will be there.

Call Jim at JDM, I have very high confidence in his products, and his ability to keep your truck safe.

Hope that helps you out
Don

Black SVT in KC

Established Member
Thanks Don, that's what I needed to hear. I am in the process of liquidating my toys so I can free up some money to stuff into this beast. Any suggestions on which chip? I like the idea of the flip chip w/ warm weather program... any thoughts on this chip vs another setup?

Brad

Rgig

Established Member
Goota add my 2 cents worth

You can se by my signature that I've got a 2001. The dealer installed my Diablo chip for me the day I picked it up. I have nearly 8K miles on it and the only thing that has gone wrong is a blower belt. It was improperly installed at the factory which caused it to fray.

I've added JL's ram air and will be going with the 4# pulley soon.

I too have read the horror stories, but if you apply a little wisdom and logic to what you do, I think this truck will last quite a while.

Remember, anything you do to your truck (or lawnmower) to improve performance has the potential to decrease the life expectancy.

Go with the chip, ram air and pulley. Then hope that you stay satisfied. :ud: (I don't think it's possible)

Don's Bolt

Blown Stang
Established Member
Originally posted by Black SVT in KC
Thanks Don, that's what I needed to hear. Any suggestions on which chip? I like the idea of the flip chip w/ warm weather program... any thoughts on this chip vs another setup?

Brad

Your welcome Brad

I am running a JDM flip chip, and it works great on my truck. I have friends who like the Johnny Lightning, and the PSP too. You really can't go wrong with any of them, but I am partial to the JDM programing especialy the way he controls the transmision.

I would call Jim, Johnny and Sal and decide who you are most comfortable with.

Good luck
Don

Users who are viewing this thread