New to me 97 cobra

boost88

Established Member
Just got this today.

97 cobra vert with 27k miles. Saleen body kit, s351 wing, 17 inch cobra r rims. Has some sort of STS, and a k and n cone.
1123e7d1671613ba86c18054e9e08b4a.jpg
f4860776ea001975d8dd8a52ae8ddb94.jpg
258125e601a6c43e11a08a086084dc4b.jpg
43b96205724178dde83b548833d7e789.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

boost88

Established Member
Ok so a few quick questions....

I know the car was wrecked and totaled in 1998 8 months after it was bought.

From a quality look over it appears to be front/ driver side damage. The hood is slightly misaligned, the driver door has to be closed relatively hard(hinge pins). Larger gap between taillight on driver side then passager side. This could be due to the saleen bumper not being 100% perfect.

Upon a more thorough inspection the car appears to have originally been red. You can see a minor paint peel through the afore mentioned bumper gap. It does appear the car was completely disassembled as the engine bay, door jambs, trunk interior is all black. Which knowing it's been in an accident doesn't quite surprise me. Is there anywhere I can validate this information? The sticker in the door jamb is gone.

Interior of the car is black. I found the center console to be from a tan car painted black however. I scratched the door panels and other interior in inconspicuous spots to test for paint and they are authentic black pieces. So odds are the console was broken from the accident and tan was all they could source. Is there a way to authenticate the black interior aspect as well.

The car appears to be an authentic cobra via vin number,engine plaque, brakes etc. So I'm not too worried about that. I'll be calling SVT today to obtain build information.

I purchased this car for 5k knowing it was wrecked and rebuilt so much of this doesn't really bother me. The car is in good shape. Runs extremely strong and is pretty well bone stock. No visible bends in the frame and tracks straight as an arrow. Probably a junkyard flip car is my guess. Guess its mine to keep and bring some love to.

Tunedprt91

Established Member
I'm not sure if it will work but maybe run the vin at a Ford dealership? I'm guessing if anyone had information on the original color of the car it would be in their system other than that I wouldn't be sure.

ccq8le

Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
Party Liquor Posse
Congratulations on the car!, and welcome.

Heads up those floor Mats are kind of hard to come by now days and go for a premium. You may want to use another mat over them, or pull them out and use for special occasions.

Like you said, car looks good and you can bring it more love! Congratulations!

Sent from my SM-G965U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

boost88

Established Member
Congratulations on the car!, and welcome.

Heads up those floor Mats are kind of hard to come by now days and go for a premium. You may want to use another mat over them, or pull them out and use for special occasions.

Like you said, car looks good and you can bring it more love! Congratulations!

Sent from my SM-G965U using the svtperformance.com mobile app
Thank you. I've got a stock mat I can put in there. I only have the driver side mat unfortunately. I'll ask the guy tomorrow if he happens to have the other.

Also found out from ford the car is originally black. So its triple black. Got the build number from svt as well as build date.

I'm in the process of a title search to find the previous owners so I can find out any information on the accident/repairs. All of this is pretty much irrelevant because the car is in good shape I just want to know the history.

dkblue98gt

Established Member
Looks great! Totally worth the price. Did I mention "I love a Triple black Vert"

Users who are viewing this thread