New(to me) Car suggestions

Rock20

Established Member
Hi all. So it's time to replace my gen 2 CTS-V that i sold in December to pay off my school debt and i can't decide what to get. I've got a short list and am driving myself crazy in my head with which car to pick. I'm about to go test drive them but wanted to see what SVTP thought or if you all have any suggestions I didn't think of. My Price range is 50k-60k although I'd like to be as low as possible lol. The car won't be my daily and likely wont see any track duty just some spirited driving around town/back roads.

Options

2017 ZL1(A10) - Love the front end but not sold on the rear.
2015 Z06 - Might be too much car?
2017 GT350 - Love the looks and sound but i'm not sure how fun it would be for me on the street.
2017 Grand Sport - Would i be disappointed I didn't pay the couple extra grand for the Z06.

Thanks for any opinions guys.

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
Buy a used Hellcat in the high $40's and modify it further with basic bolt-ons and ull be close to 800 whp. Great DD and will spank 99% of the cars u run up on.

Silverstrike

It's to big to move FAST!
Established Member
If you do get a 2015-16 Z06 make sure that it has the recall for the heat soak issue and having the limp home engine protection kick on. This was the major issue when they first came out in 2015 I think it also covers early 2016 model year.

The Grand Sport has all the goodies body and suspension wise that a Z06 pretty much has minus the LT4 and it's S/C and supporting hardmare. This set up was more track oriented without the major heat that the Z06 produced on track or heavy driving applications. Thats really the only difference between the 2 other than the LT1 interiored GS does not have the heads up display while all Z06 no matter what interior does have the heads up.

The A8 is probably the best for both as it is pretty seamless between paddle shifts with only a slight pause about a eye blink between pressing the paddle and having the transmission change gears. Plus the Auto harnesses the power of the Z06 a lot more efficiently over the 7 speed manual no questions asked. Just wish they would put the new Ford/GM A10 in the Vettes as it is far and above superior over the A8.

Rock20

Established Member
Buy a used Hellcat in the high $40's and modify it further with basic bolt-ons and ull be close to 800 whp. Great DD and will spank 99% of the cars u run up on.

I had ruled out the Charger hellcats as i'd rather get a V3 even though its down on power and a bit slower. Now the Challenger is definitely a consideration.

2018 Mustang GT with a supercharger.

Did you pay off your loans with the car equity?

The V was actually paid off. Was a 2010 with 39k miles. I got 2 local dealers to bid it up a bit. But yea used that plus another 10k of my own cash to get rid of the loan. 12 years in and I still owed 39k on a 50k loan. Should have paid it off sooner.

If you do get a 2015-16 Z06 make sure that it has the recall for the heat soak issue and having the limp home engine protection kick on. This was the major issue when they first came out in 2015 I think it also covers early 2016 model year.

The Grand Sport has all the goodies body and suspension wise that a Z06 pretty much has minus the LT4 and it's S/C and supporting hardmare. This set up was more track oriented without the major heat that the Z06 produced on track or heavy driving applications. Thats really the only difference between the 2 other than the LT1 interiored GS does not have the heads up display while all Z06 no matter what interior does have the heads up.

The A8 is probably the best for both as it is pretty seamless between paddle shifts with only a slight pause about a eye blink between pressing the paddle and having the transmission change gears. Plus the Auto harnesses the power of the Z06 a lot more efficiently over the 7 speed manual no questions asked. Just wish they would put the new Ford/GM A10 in the Vettes as it is far and above superior over the A8.

Man great Information. I been reading up on the over heating issues an was hoping since i likely wont track the car that it wont be an issue if for me if I go that route. I like the GS a lot and think it may be a more fun street car for me but i'm worried i'll get used to the LT1 too quickly and end up spending enough money on mods that I would have been better off with a Z.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
What are your goals? These threads are impossible to answer intelligently without knowing what you plan to do.

I was just in the same position 2 months ago. I chose a 2018 10r80 GT Mustang that will be getting boost in the summer.

(800 whp.. will run 9s at 140+, wont have to open motor or trans. ) <//=--- these were my goals....

And done.

Rock20

Established Member
What are your goals? These threads are impossible to answer intelligently without knowing what you plan to do.

I was just in the same position 2 months ago. I chose a 2018 10r80 GT Mustang that will be getting boost in the summer.

(800 whp.. will run 9s at 140+, wont have to open motor or trans. ) <//=--- these were my goals....

And done.

I'd like a fun torque monster for stop light to stop light and highway fun. I'd also want something that has enough handling prowess to enjoy some spirited back roads driving as well. I really don't have a numbers requirement but I'd like to be at least as quick as my V was with an intake and upper pulley. I considered a 13/14 Gt500 but I'm not sure I'd want to go back to the live axle life. Had a 01 GT and 06 Gt loved them but not sure I'd want to go back.

Recon

Established Member
Grand sport or GT350. No interested in the 1.7L TVS or I’d take it off for something better.

Pick your poison.

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
Yea not a fan of the Charger as a Hellcat. Challenger is just badass period!

I had ruled out the Charger hellcats as i'd rather get a V3 even though its down on power and a bit slower. Now the Challenger is definitely a consideration.

Silverstrike

It's to big to move FAST!
Established Member
2015 z06. Pretty easy decision. Make sure you get one with the z07 package.

Why unless he is a track junkie ie* goes at least 2 times a month or just wants to brag on how much he spent on the vehicle the Z07 is a waste for a street car like he is looking for. Those ceramic brakes and brake pads are not cheap to replace trust me. Bad enough on how much my pads cost for the slotted Z-51 spec brakes around $400 for the front and about $225 for the rears. The Z07 Ceramics are about I think $1500 for front and around $700 for the rears maybe not that high but still over twice what regular pads go for.

And you could order the Z07 spec front airdam and rear wickerbill spoilers on a Z06 as stand alone options. As Aero 1, 2, or 3 on the option list, with the 3 having the widest and tallest out of the 3.

Rock20

Established Member
2015 z06. Pretty easy decision. Make sure you get one with the z07 package.

Yea the Z07 package would take me out of my price range unfortunately. Also aren't the Carbon Ceramics crazy expensive to replace? i don't think it's something I really need.

Thanks for all the opinions guys. I think i'm definitely leaning towards the Z06. Now i just have to go and drive them all!

96 cobra

Established Member
The performance for the $ of a C6 grandsport would be very hard to beat & it would leave a sizable chunk of cash left over for other things...

DSGCOBRA24

Established Member
Why unless he is a track junkie ie* goes at least 2 times a month or just wants to brag on how much he spent on the vehicle the Z07 is a waste for a street car like he is looking for. Those ceramic brakes and brake pads are not cheap to replace trust me. Bad enough on how much my pads cost for the slotted Z-51 spec brakes around $400 for the front and about $225 for the rears. The Z07 Ceramics are about I think $1500 for front and around $700 for the rears maybe not that high but still over twice what regular pads go for.

And you could order the Z07 spec front airdam and rear wickerbill spoilers on a Z06 as stand alone options. As Aero 1, 2, or 3 on the option list, with the 3 having the widest and tallest out of the 3.

Because it looks the best and is the best all around car, if he doesn’t need a back seat. I only say get the z07 package because it makes the car look a lot better and more agressive. If the car isn’t going to see track time and will only be a daily driver, the carbon brakes and pads will last him many many miles. So, maybe the few times that you would replace regular rotors and pads, it would end up costing the same as to just replacing the carbon set up once in the same amount of miles.

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
On that list, I like the ZL1 the most.
Enough power for the straights and handles well.
Already boosted, so a simple pulley swap will net you a good hp gain/$$$ ratio.

If you want torque on the street, take the 350 off your list unless you plan on boosting it.

Outside of the list, a GT with a blower is a good option too

Users who are viewing this thread