New to the 32v Club

BleedBlueOval

Established Member
This new year I purchased an '04 Aviator. I love the power but there are some questions I have. I tried the search function but every querey I put in says my search parameters are too short.

Few questions I have, forgive me if they're dumb questions:

1.) what bolt ons would you recommend and rank their priority
1a.) Can the AWD transmission support modest upgrades to performance?

2.) I see that the exhaust is just a single pipe, is it possible to convert to a true dual or will everything have to be custom?
2a.) Will Mach 1 headers fit in the engine bay?

3.) I am looking to swap these peeling chrome wheels and put in some 22s from a Edge or Explorer Sport wheels, will that bring me problems if I lower the ride height two inches?
3a.) Why are there differences in lowering kits for different engines/transmissions in this platform?

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
I think you may have better luck on a Lincoln site. They only thing I know about these is they go thru rear wheel bearings. I'm sure a exhaust shop could do custom dual exhaust.
Headers don't know if that's been done or not. As well as lift or lowering kits. Not sure how the trans would hold up.
Explorer sport wheels not sure about off set. Your car is more of a RWD/AWD set up. The new explorers are FWD/AWD set up if that makes sense good luck.

starnsey

Established Member
Although you now have a 32v, the knowledge of Aviators is probably substantially less on this website compared to other vehicles. I know a good deal about the base engine, but I couldn't tell you a damn thing about Aviator engine compartments, transmissions and wheel options.

4a7191a

Established Member
Being that it's got 03/04 cobra heads.,. If you have the room for an Eaton sawp that might be an option. Pretty unique too.
But then again.. I'm not sure how the transfer case would hold up . transmission wise it's the same as the f150's I believe and it should have 8.8 differentials.

BleedBlueOval

Established Member
Being that it's got 03/04 cobra heads.,. If you have the room for an Eaton sawp that might be an option. Pretty unique too.
But then again.. I'm not sure how the transfer case would hold up . transmission wise it's the same as the f150's I believe and it should have 8.8 differentials.

Oh thats cool!

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator

It is not the same tranny as an F-150. The Aviator is a 5r55, which is an ok trans.

Get a tune and a catback. That's about as good as it's going to get without spending a bunch of money.

Kiohtee

Established Member
Good lord.

It's an Aviator. Leave it stock.

I gotta agree with this. I'm not sure supercharging something that heavy will even make a real difference, much less bolt-ons.

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
I gotta agree with this. I'm not sure supercharging something that heavy will even make a real difference, much less bolt-ons.

I know there was a guy with a supercharged Mountaineer running bottom 13's with a blower, and that was a either a 2v or 3v setup.

mrlrd1

Established Member
yep. 4L60-65's are shit. I have a performabuilt in the GTO. 2 years and 62K miles later I'm getting the flare on the 2-3 shift. I've changed the fluid every 20K. They're just junk.

Performabuilt is garbage. Have someone who knows what they're doing and they'll stand up to a lot more abuse than most give them credit for.

mc01svt

100% full natty brah
Established Member
modding a aviator? Seriously? Talk about a lesson in futility...

Users who are viewing this thread