New to the Lightning Scene, not to my Lightning.

Lenny 15

Established Member
Hey guys, I have a 2000 Lightning with about 125k miles on it. I bought it in 2002 with 42k on the clock. I've never added any aftermarket parts except for a K&N panel filter and water wetter in the Intercooler system. I've blown spark plugs from both heads. One at 62k, and the other at 70k. I recently changed the spark plugs and they seemed to have about 8-9 full turns till tight so I think that the dealer might have replaced the old heads with newer ones if that is possible. Anyways, I am wondering if I should do anything to the motor this late in the game. I'm already planning to do the Hotchkis TVS with Bilstein HP 1000 shocks and put a valve body shift kit in it, but as far as modding the motor, I'm on the fence. What would you guys do?

Thanks guys.

4a7191a

Established Member
with 125k on the clock and the truck was taken care of by you most of its life id mod it, i just wouldnt throw a 6lb lower on it, id do a 4lb lower at most. the valve body is a trans life saver, so do it asap. when you have the mods you want just make sure you get a good tune on it before hammering down on it.

Lenny 15

Established Member
Thanks for the input. I was wondering if I should go with the four or the six. I would like to hit 400hp at the wheels and I can probably still do that with the 4lb lower.

Does anyone know of a good tuner in socal with a dyno?

4a7191a

Established Member
with my mods in sig, running ngk tr6 plugs, i did 414rwhp and 529rwtq. im not sure of any good tuners out that way. im sure there are some though.

jwiles6186

I Hate Speed Bumps!
Established Member
If you've spit 2 plugs already maybe instead of picking up new heads (which will run u $1000+) why not just get the helicoil system and place them in all 8 plug locations and save you some serious $$$.

Lenny 15

Established Member
If you've spit 2 plugs already maybe instead of picking up new heads (which will run u $1000+) why not just get the helicoil system and place them in all 8 plug locations and save you some serious $$$.

New heads have been in for years. They blew under warranty. I am 99% sure they installed newer heads because I counted how many turns I could get on the spark plugs and it was around 8-9 full turns.

oilwell1415

Established Member
How many turns it takes to put the plugs in has everything to do with the threads on the plugs and nothing to do with the threads in the head. The only way to know for sure is to look.

Lenny 15

Established Member
Alright I've been looking around different sites and so far the stage three SCT X3 package for the lightning on lightningforceperformance.com seems to be a pretty good package. I plan on going with the 4lb lower pulley, K&N intake, TR6 plugs, and SCT big air 2600 options. I am also considering their valvebody. I like the K&N intake because it is smog legal in CA. I also like this package because it looks like it should appear stock with the grey plenum option and black throttle body(for smog purposes).
What do you guys think of that package? What do you think about their valvebody? I haven't seen much mention of LFP on here.

I figure that later down the road I will be able to upgrade the intercooler, (waterpump) heat exchanger and port the supercharger for some more power.

Last edited:

soccman

Established Member
Just to let you know you don't have to worry too much about how many threads are in the head. As long as you torque them properly you shouldn't have any issues with them. I have a 2000 with 125000 and no head issues at all. If I were you and wanted to see a good power gain and be pretty safe doing it is this list of mods brother....Basic mild bolt-ons.....

Diablosport Predator tuner (canned tune good for up to a 4lb pully)
4lb lower pully
Valve body for the trans
Open element Cone filter adapter plate
C&L elbow
Single blade throttle boddy
C&L ported plenum
Full set of NGK TR6 plugs
Good cat-back exhaust

All of these parts together will be about the region of 35-45hp and 60ftlbs of torque estimate and a huge improvement in throttle response. If you want some serious power you will be getting into Dyno tuning, heads, rods/pistons, and higher boost levels.

Lenny 15

Established Member
Little update. I called JJ at woodbine motorsports and ordered a 4lb lower pulley with an idler kit, a SCT tuner and 90mm MAF, punisher valvebody, NGK TR6 plugs, and the K&N FIPK kit. I'm also going to pick up a new trans filter and fluids from ford. Looks like I'll be taking it to Swanson performance for the dyno tune, I've heard nothing but good things about them. The catback I decided to hold off on because it won't really make more power, and I can make my own exhaust from the manifolds back for little more than most catbacks cost...

Users who are viewing this thread