New to the terminator scene and having a/c issues

Izzybuilt92

Established Member
First thing I would do like posted above start with the simple thing. Check the freon level you will need a gauge or someone with AC tools.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
the compressor will cycle at idle as well, even with a good charge.

if you don't have gauges, you can get one of the fancier a/c charge cans at the parts store and check the suction pressure....that pressure will vary with ambient temps. if you don't know anything about a/c, it's probably best to leave it to a pro.
If you have a code reader some of them allow you to read temps. It was an air pocket in my cooling system not my A/C system. Not sure how it formed but there was a air pocket.

So I checked the clutch, and the clutch has a crazy amount of play. Moves about 1/4 inch

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
So I checked the clutch, and the clutch has a crazy amount of play. Moves about 1/4 inch

You took the whole front drive off and belt to check this? I'd still check the refrigerant level before anything else.

Izzybuilt92

Established Member
You took the whole front drive off and belt to check this? I'd still check the refrigerant level before anything else.

there's a 1/4" air gap between the clutch and compressor?

No I just went and attempted to free Spin the pulled and the clutch, as another member had suggested. Once I did that I noticed the clutch part of the pulley has tons of play on it. Moves about 1/4 to any side that u attempt to move it. Whether it be side to side, up and down or circular motion.

I am going to attempt to take it somewhere to check refrigerant level by the weekend I hope.

Izzybuilt92

Established Member
But yes I did take the belt off to check it, at least just off the compressor I did. Put it back on after a few spins. Clutch moves the same with or without belt. It appears as if it had some sort of bushing or bearing inside that is just gone.

CobraLucci

LEO
Established Member
clutch spins, what about the actual compressor pulley? does that spin without the belt? your better off just having it cheked out locally

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Tyler502

Established Member
At WOT the compressor disengages for full power so that's normal. But if it's engaging while idling then check a/c

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Izzybuilt92

Established Member
I took in to the shop, they told me it's the clutch that is bad. Said I would be good just replacing the clutch.

So I'm going to do that.

The clutch is so bad, to the point it sounds like a bag of lose change. Clinging and clinging

Stage 4.6

Established Member
I had the same issue for the last 2 years bearings grinding, i just went and bought a new compressor from LMR had it installed today. Got some ice cold A/C again, only thing i find strange is my RPMS drop significantly at idle, on my wifes GT the RPMS actually raise? Anyone else have this issue?

zredfire04

Established Member
i had a compressor clutch failure on my 95 gt...looked at changing the clutch, and it wasn't significantly less expensive than a new compressor. of course, that was with me buying from a vendor rather than a shop.

01yellercobra

Established Member
I had the same issue for the last 2 years bearings grinding, i just went and bought a new compressor from LMR had it installed today. Got some ice cold A/C again, only thing i find strange is my RPMS drop significantly at idle, on my wifes GT the RPMS actually raise? Anyone else have this issue?
Are you tuned?

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

01yellercobra

Established Member
yes it is I just had it re-tuned over the weekend before i got the A/C working again.

There's an adjustment in there for idle RPM when A/C comes on. Your tuner might have tweaked it by accident. He should be able to fix it.

Stage 4.6

Established Member
There's an adjustment in there for idle RPM when A/C comes on. Your tuner might have tweaked it by accident. He should be able to fix it.

I appreciate the info, ill have to get back with him on that, problem is he's hour and a half drive away!

01yellercobra

Established Member
I appreciate the info, ill have to get back with him on that, problem is he's hour and a half drive away!
If you're using SCT he should be able to email you the file. No need to make the drive.

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

Izzybuilt92

Established Member
i had a compressor clutch failure on my 95 gt...looked at changing the clutch, and it wasn't significantly less expensive than a new compressor. of course, that was with me buying from a vendor rather than a shop.

Well to me it is, I'll be doing all the work. Doing the clutch alone I won't have to be doing a vacuum and recharge. Ac compressor is about 200 plus the recharge.

The clutch kit is only $80.00 through rock auto.

zredfire04

Established Member
yeah...since i have all the tools and a 30lb drum of 134a, it didn't make sense.

on further reflection though i think the issue that i had wasn't the clutch it was the coil, which is a major PITA to change.

Users who are viewing this thread