New to Turbos

03SVT Ski

Established Member
So I have finally made the decision to turbo my 03 Cobra. Currently I have the factory Eaton with a 2.76. I have ordered up a Helion 7675 single Precision billet ball bearing turbo kit. My fuel system will be a Division X duel 465's return system, with fuel rails and ID1000 injectors. I will be running a 01' Cobra intake with a MMR 1/2" intake spacer. I plan on running E85 and car will stay 6spd. Motor is factory and heads are untouched. I have associated parts like throttle cable, Kmember, alternator etc.... Does anyone have a similar setup? If so what sort of power were you making?

Nightmare302

OhChuteRacing Owner
Established Member
Depends on boost level. Anywhere from 700-900rwhp depending on tune and timing. You don't need the spacer but if you have it fine. I made nearly 700 on pump gas with the same combo and 98 cobra cams.

s351

Established Member
If you haven't go 3" tube with a blow thru maf while doing this swap.

03SVT Ski

Established Member
If you haven't go 3" tube with a blow thru maf while doing this swap.

How would my MaF be with the standard Hellion kit? I would assume it's a blow through now right? I know with the Easton it was a draw through. When you say 3" pipe you are referring to the cold inlet side?

s351

Established Member

03SVT Ski

Established Member
Standard hellion is draw thru, most of the hellion guys switch to blow thru with a ba5000 maf. Its usually put in the fender in the straight section from your intercooler to where your pipe re enters your engine bay. And by 3" tube I mean this http://www.vmpperformance.com/VMP-3-75MM-BLOW-THROUGH-Slot-Style-MAF-Housing-p/vmp75mmbt.htm

Some guys that stay draw thru experience "wash" which is were you roll to a stop and your car just shuts off.

Thanks, thats very good info. So now thinking about it, im guessing the MAF is in the inlet of the turbo? So in going with the blow through style like the VMP there would be some piping modifications required.

03SVT Ski

Established Member
As anyone used Meth or nitrous as a way to help cool inlet temps? I am not saying like a 150 shot, but enough to help keep temps down under high boost situations.

s351

Established Member
Basically you have to, cut one pipe to fit that tube and use 2 couplers to attach it and some good clamps. And if you, re pin your maf connector you don't have to use the temp sensor in the end of the filter. Your new slot style maf will do this.

03SVT Ski

Established Member
Basically you have to, cut one pipe to fit that tube and use 2 couplers to attach it and some good clamps. And if you, re pin your maf connector you don't have to use the temp sensor in the end of the filter. Your new slot style maf will do this.

I did talk with Justin from VMP and what I ended up getting was the BA5000 with a 3.5" housing.

03SVT Ski

Established Member
You won't need it with E85 as it keeps the charge temps down anyway.

But E85 does nothing for IAT's, E85 keeps cylinder temp cooler then regular pump gas correct. My thoughts were if you were to spray Meth inlet of intercooler wouldn't that greatly lower inlet temps, therefor being able to run more boost and timing?

Nightmare302

OhChuteRacing Owner
Established Member
But E85 does nothing for IAT's, E85 keeps cylinder temp cooler then regular pump gas correct. My thoughts were if you were to spray Meth inlet of intercooler wouldn't that greatly lower inlet temps, therefor being able to run more boost and timing?

You will not need a meth kit. I imagine it would offer little to zero increase in performance. If you want the absolute best IAT's run a large A2W intercooler instead of an A2A.

There is a reason you don't see drag cars running meth kits. It's a bandaid for pump gas cars that can't get or don't want to spend the money on race gas/e85.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member

E85 cools where it matters. Good tuners know and can take that into account. With proper a/a intercooler, iat will not be an issue anyways.

s351

Established Member
Meth on a pump gas car is highly beneficial, just don't tune it on the ragged edge, use it to help out the pump gas and cool the intake temp, it's only a bandaid when people run on the edge at like 20 plus pounds of boost then its looking for trouble. But these guys are right there's no point in running it if your using e85.

Users who are viewing this thread