New toy. 1966 Cyclone GT 390 56k mi Un-Restored

EcoBoostF100

EcoBoosted F100
Established Member
Few of the documents a collector can only dream about. I have documents to show it’s entire history from day 1, miles verification along with complete ownership history. I am only the 4th owner.

Owner 1 from July 27, 1966 to October 8, 2014. He passed away and it was sold at estate sale on 3/28/2015. (I have that document)
Owner 2 had it until 2019-20 and i have spoken to him now a friend.
Owner 3 had it until I purchased it July 17, 2023. I took delivery July 28th
I took it to first car show last Saturday

Some of the documentation.

Window sticker along with ORIGINAL California Title. Note the CA black plate still on car since day 1!

IMG_3717.png
IMG_3718.png
2023_08_07_17_55_060002.jpeg

Last edited:

EcoBoostF100

EcoBoosted F100
Established Member
It seems the hoods on the Merc's were fiberglass. Is that the case, since you have one at hand to confirm?
Yes, the optional GT hood available on all Cyclones and standard on GT was fiberglass and had lightweight springs to keep from warping. They were painted off car separate so possible color variation.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Plan is to preserve not modify. Any carb change it would not perform as well.
I can respect that.

That said, having rebuilt a 1966 390 for a Thunderbird convertible (maroon paint looked very much like your car) from top to bottom, an Edelbrock Performer, new Holley carb, and electronic ignition was a huge improvement that allowed superior performance across the board and better street manners. As I said, everything can be done so that nobody would ever know.

So what transmission and rear axle?

EcoBoostF100

EcoBoosted F100
Established Member
I can respect that.

That said, having rebuilt a 1966 390 for a Thunderbird convertible (maroon paint looked very much like your car) from top to bottom, an Edelbrock Performer, (performer rpm diff story) new Holley carb, and electronic ignition was a huge improvement that allowed superior performance across the board and better street manners. As I said, everything can be done so that nobody would ever know.

So what transmission and rear axle?
This has a 3.25 open diff and Sport Shift Merc-O-Matic transmission (C-6) only available on GT. I can see where that would make a good change on a ‘66 Tbird but not so much on a not messed with ‘66 GT. The ‘66 GT cam was later used in the 428 Cobra Jet. And the GT Holley carb was a performance carb. The Edelbrock performer would make little to no difference in power and drivability. A electronic dist would help in maintenance but would not be calibrated in sync like stock. Little if any power change.
I just so happen to have a 1966 T-bird Engine sitting on engine stand next to car with EXACT mods you describe! Do you have fly in wall? No kidding. Now that your spy fly spilled the beans i will have to give details. Shhh
Performer RPM would help with other mods.

Last edited:

EcoBoostF100

EcoBoosted F100
Established Member
Just to show I wasn’t kidding. What you described. 1966 TBird 390. I did a custom forged piston with current technology ring pack. 393 cu in (.020 over) zero deck final hone with deck plates, 9.0 comp, custom cam idle to 4000 rpm, performer intake with Edelbrock ground off painted engine color, big Cobra Jet Holley, electronic dist, 406 shorty cast headers, Custom made Mercury Aluminum valve covers, 1957 Mercury Turnpike Cruiser Air Cleaner for Ram Air, custom torque converter, built C-6 and a new Gear Vendors Overdrive. This setup going in a 1966 F100 clone of truck my dad bought new. Tempting to drop in Cyclone but want it to remain as drlivered when new. I really want to do a bunch of testing to get real numbers what it would do when new with just tuning.
IMG_3767.jpeg
IMG_3768.jpeg
IMG_3770.jpeg
IMG_3761.jpeg

EcoBoostF100

EcoBoosted F100
Established Member
All of this work and big $$ and I expect this engine to make less HP than the stock 335hp 390! But, I did not build for HP and a simple camshaft change and switching to a Performer RPM would make HUGE gains. Always wanted to do a smaller inch FE and build it for MPG which is typically not used in same sentence as FE. Good performance valve job on stock C6AE-R heads, stainless valves with Hardened seats. Short block good for some pretty good HP but just because went the low rpm idle to 4000 with TQ Converter, Cam, Intake and Overdrive for daily driver low RPM with boatloads of torque down low and MPG.
Switching to a nice head would also give massive power increase.
I simply wanted to do best I could out of curiosity MPG low RPM where this intake should work fine yet look like a stock S GT intake.
The piston and ring package alone was $1000.00

IMG_3135.jpeg
IMG_3455.jpeg
IMG_3454.jpeg
IMG_3456.jpeg
IMG_3457.jpeg
IMG_3466.jpeg

Last edited:

Morgan

Established Member
I like the Mercury valve covers, some of the better covers for an FE.

Is it only the 428ci motors that have the big expansion tank by the distributor?

And did you say “how” you found the car?

EcoBoostF100

EcoBoosted F100
Established Member
I like the Mercury valve covers, some of the better covers for an FE.

Is it only the 428ci motors that have the big expansion tank by the distributor?

And did you say “how” you found the car?
The coolant expansion tanks were on early full size cars and of course the Cobra's. Think 1964 and prior.

I have been looking for right car or maybe I should say wanting one since they came out in 1966. I first saw one on a cover of a racing comic book and said some day. (Still have the comic book) I have owned a bunch of 1966-67 Comets and Fairlanes including factory 427 cars. Nearing retirement I started looking more serious and in Early 2020 spotted a photo online of this comet being loaded in a Reliable auto transport and contacted owner(s) and said if they ever decided t sell let me know. Early April this year I again let them know I was still interested and they kinda laughed. Then on April 17th got the call and was I still serious/interested. At that time we had $$ amount figured out but I wanted to look at car in person so in Mid June this year while on family vacation we took a detour and stopped to look.

I had posted online I was looking for a '66 GT that was rust free and original paint but zero leads. This no doubt was a find of a lifetime for this exact car. So it was only a 57 yr wait . . A huge bonus was all the documentation that came with and only being a 3 owner car with original guy having it from new until he passed away in 2014. No doubt a total time capsule.

When I bought it the power assist for brakes was weak and barely worked the other day it quit completely so it's been a frantic search trying to find a NOS booster and or parts to rebuild. I did find a full rebuild kit so should have it late next week. I have built enough hotrods in my day but this one I want to keep as stock as possible. Not so much if had been messed with or modified in any way or engine rebuilt, modified I have a 2023 7.3 zilla I could drop in or multiple other engines. I did get to drive it 180 miles before the booster failed.

EcoBoostF100

EcoBoosted F100
Established Member
2020 Cyclone loaded on Reliable truck is photo i saw online.
Drag n Wheels comic i saw on magazine rack early 1966. Young kid but decided i wanted one some day. I then started searching magazine racks for more. Other cars i wanted from magazines were 32-34 fords and some kind of hotrod with a 427 SOHC. Already had those. Also liked the Lambo Miura especially the wheels. Reason for wheels on orange truck. Few ads i have saved over years. I have also collected Magazine road tests.
IMG_1156.jpeg
IMG_2021.jpeg
IMG_2022.jpeg
IMG_2023.jpeg
IMG_2104.jpeg
IMG_2108.jpeg
IMG_2103.jpeg
IMG_2107.jpeg
IMG_2109.jpeg
IMG_2110.jpeg

Last edited:

EcoBoostF100

EcoBoosted F100
Established Member
Down the road I may switch to front disc brakes. Having owned a few factory 425hp/427 comets and knowing they had fantastic brakes I did a search and found a NOS 427 Comet Booster just today. I also found a complete Disc Brake front off of a 1967. I will keep stock '66 for now but it is a Single reservoir master. As I gather up the parts needed and restore the disc brake setup will just use stock for now to keep it on road and I can enjoy driving it. Crazy that absolutely nothing has been replaced on entire front suspension, steering to this point. I have located pretty much all NOS parts to rebuild front when time comes and at that point maybe switch to disc brakes.

Users who are viewing this thread