New toy (Kamado grill)

KingBlack

I'm more stupid than I post
Established Member
I've been waiting some time to get this bad boy and do some grilling. I'll add some content from my cooks on it. I plan on doing a 20 hour cook on a 10 pound brisket during Christmas.

18501101CR_1800x1800.png

Machdup1

Established Member
For a cheap Kamado, those are suppose to work OK.

Get Kamado Joe big block XL charcoal. Only use big block.

Get Bluetooth temperature sensors like igrill, with at least two sensors, one for the meat, one for the dome temp.

get a blow torch to light the grill. For a low temp long session, just light a 3-4” area in the middle and let it come up to temp over 30 minute to an hour. When bringing it up to temp, choke off the air when you get within 50 degrees of your target. If you get over temp it’s a bitch to bring the temp down.

Take your time and plan ahead.

for your first long cook, prepare by doing a fire without any meat to learn how to maintain 225-250 degrees for 20 hours, so you don’t ruin your first cook.

If your long cook finishes early. Wrap in aluminum foil, then wrap in sacricial bath towels, then put in a sacricial empty insulated cooler to keep it warm.

wrap your ceramic stones in aluminum foil to keep them clean.

Learn how to reverse sear a steak.

Always clean out the ash before each cook.

Don’t waste your time grilling supermarket meats, go to a butcher.

Start with only minimal additional smoke woods and decide what works for you

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member

Get Bluetooth temperature sensors like igrill, with at least two sensors, one for the meat, one for the dome temp.

get a blow torch to light the grill. For a low temp long session, just light a 3-4” area in the middle and let it come up to temp over 30 minute to an hour. When bringing it up to temp, choke off the air when you get within 50 degrees of your target. If you get over temp it’s a bitch to bring the temp down.

for your first long cook, prepare by doing a fire without any meat to learn how to maintain 225-250 degrees for 20 hours, so you don’t ruin your first cook.

If your long cook finishes early. Wrap in aluminum foil, then wrap in sacricial bath towels, then put in a sacricial empty insulated cooler to keep it warm.

Thanks for this. I'm going to save it and use it. Sometimes the secrets of new grills are not so easily found in concise format

KingBlack

Established Member

KingBlack

Established Member

I love how you call it cheap yet you've never used it. I promise you've never used it because you can't buy it right now
I've used it a few times and it works great. That advice is good but it only applies to ceramic kibotos which is what this is not. Good advice in general but I can get what temperature down in a hurry on this thing. I went from 600 to 350 degrees in 10 minutes this weekend on this unit. The fast temperature change was the biggest selling point for me

Last edited:

KingBlack

Established Member

Already did a 14 our cook own my Weber kamado that does not have the table. 225 to 230 and it held it the entire time. No need for gadgets just a good Grill and an occasional sweep of the Ashes to keep the airflow steady. By the way I use kamado Joe blocks only in a pinch it's okay but nothing special. I usually make my own charcoal out of Hardwoods but I've ran out and just don't have time right now.

20201216_143248.jpg

Machdup1

Established Member
I love how you call it cheap yet you've never used it. I promise you've never used it because you can't buy it right now
I've used it a few times and it works great. That advice is good but it only applies to ceramic kibotos which is what this is not. Good advice in general but I can get what temperature down in a hurry on this thing. I went from 600 to 350 degrees in 10 minutes this weekend on this unit. The fast temperature change was the biggest selling point for me
LOL. Sen...si....tive, it’s a Weber Summit S6, it’s not a rare or exclusive Kamado. It’s hard to find because all Kamado’s are sold out this time of year as they make only so many and winter is their slow season, though it’s not real hard to find the S6 from a simple Google search.

Face it, the S6 is a really expensive kettle grill.

A Weber grill will always be a good grill, but the components on the grill are cheap when compared to a BGE or a Kamado Joe, even though they cost less and they work better.

If you look at it in terms of insulating weight, your grill weighs around 250lbs. The same size KJ, would come in at around 500lbs. The real Kamados are just different level of component quality and last that much longer.

KingBlack

Established Member
LOL. Sen...si....tive, it’s a Weber Summit S6, it’s not a rare or exclusive Kamado. It’s hard to find because all Kamado’s are sold out this time of year as they make only so many and winter is their slow season, though it’s not real hard to find the S6 from a simple Google search.

Face it, the S6 is a really expensive kettle grill.

A Weber grill will always be a good grill, but the components on the grill are cheap when compared to a BGE or a Kamado Joe, even though they cost less and they work better.

If you look at it in terms of insulating weight, your grill weighs around 250lbs. The same size KJ, would come in at around 500lbs. The real Kamados are just different level of component quality and last that much longer.

it is a kettle and I love it. the weigh your quoting...okay. It is a tool, and I like it because of the fast temp changes it can achieve. Moving on

I've got some good cooks with it so far, looking forward to many more.

KingBlack

Established Member
though it’s not real hard to find the S6 from a simple Google search.
Incorrect. then again, find it? yes. Own it? No

coming soon.PNG

either way I'm ending this bbq battle now. you're advice is good and useful to those that are not aware of it. good luck on your future cooks.

Adower

Established Member
I've been waiting some time to get this bad boy and do some grilling. I'll add some content from my cooks on it. I plan on doing a 20 hour cook on a 10 pound brisket during Christmas.

View attachment 1678123
Looks nice. Interested to see how long it is able to hold temps being its double walled steel vs ceramic like a BGE or Kamado Joe.

KingBlack

Established Member
Looks nice. Interested to see how long it is able to hold temps being its double walled steel vs ceramic like a BGE or Kamado Joe.
I've got a ceramic and if you are comparing the two who are the observations I've noticed. The ceramic Grill when it gets hot it absolutely skyrockets in the temperature shoots up extremely fast. It's also hard to get the temperature below whatever temperature it gets up to. The kamado style keto as Weber calls it does not go up has fast in temperature as the ceramic grills but they come down a whole hell of a lot easier. I recall the first time I got my kamado ceramic Grill up to temperature and tried to lower it. Made the mistake of opening the lid to let heat out in that did nothing but make it hotter.

KingBlack

Established Member
There's a YouTuber by the name of baby back maniac that did an efficiency test on the unit. Now this is not a typo but he ran it at 225 degrees for 50 hours 35 minutes on one load of charcoal. 14 hour cook I did the other day I put in about a half load of charcoal m had enough left over to do to high temperature Cooks the next 2 days. These are two 20-minute Cook's of pork chops and brats on two separate days

BrunotheBoxer

PUREBLOOD MASTERRACE
Established Member
Born and raised Brockton. Living in Naples.

View attachment 1678123

So you’re gonna grill a bowl of cereal with this thing?

Users who are viewing this thread