New Toy

CobraR77

IMSA R Fanatic
Established Member
Well I finally took delivery of my new toy on Saturday, it’s 95 Cobra R #77. Here is a description that the seller had prepared for listing the car in Hemmings.

1995 Ford MUSTANG COBRA, 'R' model #77 out of 250 made for IMSA Street Stock Series. Correct 5.8 liter (351) Windsor motor, prepared by Steeda to Ford racing specs. Full cage, racing seat, fire system, Detroit locker, fresh Tremec 3550 5-speed. Racing suspension components, and spares. Top five finishes at Daytona, Watkins Glen, and Road Atlanta. Holds 'B' Production track record at Seattle International Raceway. Ready to race in Motorola Cup, World Challenge or restore to street original.

A pic of it competing in IMSA

Cobra%20R.jpg

I’m very happy with the car right now but I’m preparing myself for some possible disappointments… So far:
Goods
1. It’s a real R with race history...
2. Unbelievably, all fenders, doors, quarters, hood, and trunk are original. (theft prevention stickers match the VIN) I haven’t checked the bumpers yet.
3. Most of the R specific parts are still on the car.
4. Includes 10 extra race tires. (too bad there are 16’s)

Bads
1. The “pinch welds” on the car are ugly. I’m not sure why, but it looks like someone took a jack and pushed the seam against the floor pan.
2. The R specific Koni shocks and Wheels are long gone.
3. Race exhaust was replaced with some hideous concoction including hi-flow mufflers and chrome side exhaust tips. (hopefully that system wont be on the car for long)
4. Horrible grinding in the front end (turns out the calipers are grinding on the 16in wheels)

It was a hit at the Saturday Night gatherings but 95% of the people had no idea what it REALLY was… Maybe that is a good thing.

Last edited:

Cobra-R

Established Member
Originally posted by CobraR77
Well I finally took delivery of my new toy on Saturday, it?s 95 Cobra R #77. Here is a description that the seller had prepared for listing the car in Hemmings.

1995 Ford MUSTANG COBRA, 'R' model #77 out of 250 made for IMSA Street Stock Series. Correct 5.8 liter (351) Windsor motor, prepared by Steeda to Ford racing specs. Full cage, racing seat, fire system, Detroit locker, fresh Tremec 3550 5-speed. Racing suspension components, and spares. Top five finishes at Daytona, Watkins Glen, and Road Atlanta. Holds 'B' Production track record at Seattle International Raceway. Ready to race in Motorola Cup, World Challenge or restore to street original.

Cobra%20R.jpg

I?m very happy with the car right now but I?m preparing myself for some possible disappointments? So far:
Goods
1. It?s a real R with race history...
2. Unbelievably, all fenders, doors, quarters, hood, and trunk are original. (theft prevention stickers match the VIN) I haven?t checked the bumpers yet.
4. Includes 10 extra race tires. (too bad there are 16?s)

Bads
1. The ?pinch welds? on the car are ugly. I?m not sure why, but it looks like someone took a jack and pushed the seam against the floor pan.
3. Race exhaust was replaced with some hideous concoction including hi-flow mufflers and chrome side exhaust tips. (hopefully that system wont be on the car for long)
4. Horrible grinding in the front end (turns out the calipers are grinding on the 16in wheels)

It was a hit at the Saturday Night gatherings but 95% of the people had no idea what it REALLY was? Maybe that is a good thing.

Congrats on the new car, Todd. Are you planning on using it on the track or are you going to restore it back to stock?

Brian

CobraR77

IMSA R Fanatic
Established Member
Cobra-R, I plan on using it for open track, drags, autocross, Saturday night fun... When it needs restoration in the future I will restore it in its IMSA trim. The way I look at it is, a Cobra R is rare, a Cobra R with race history is very rare... I know of a handful of the IMSA Cobra R's that were destroyed on the track. So I was very lucky to get ahold of one that survived.

Andy-R, I paid what I think is an unbelievably low price, $20,000. I meet the team owner in 1995 when the car ran the Pikes Peak Hill Climb. I kept contact with the team and even got to help on the crew when they ran at PPIR in 1997. The team has moved on to Can-Am type cars. They wanted to sell it to someone who appreciated it and they knew I did. I have seen Cobra R replica race cars for mid-twenties and a couple REAL R race cars for $40 and 45. Who knows what any of them are really worth?

Dean95CobraR

Established Member
Originally posted by CobraR77
Well I finally took delivery of my new toy on Saturday, it’s 95 Cobra R #77. Here is a description that the seller had prepared for listing the car in Hemmings.

Cobra%20R.jpg

I’m very happy with the car right now but I’m preparing myself for some possible disappointments… So far:
Goods
1. It’s a real R with race history...
2. Unbelievably, all fenders, doors, quarters, hood, and trunk are original. (theft prevention stickers match the VIN) I haven’t checked the bumpers yet.
4. Includes 10 extra race tires. (too bad there are 16’s)

Bads
1. The “pinch welds” on the car are ugly. I’m not sure why, but it looks like someone took a jack and pushed the seam against the floor pan.

It was a hit at the Saturday Night gatherings but 95% of the people had no idea what it REALLY was… Maybe that is a good thing.

Congrats Todd. You're going to love it.

As far as the exhaust that you will be taking off. If you could get some pictures, I might be interested in taking it off your hands. Because of the PHB/TA installation, my exhaust may not clear everything. I may have to go to some kind of side exhaust.

Just let me know.

1993R

Established Member
Great Car at a Great Price.The 16x8 rims were an IMSA requirement.I spent the better part of 2 years trying to get the original factory to make me a set.The rims in the picture were made by Revolution in England for Ford.The molds for these rims were destroyed in a fire at the plant a couple of years ago.I was able to talk Chuck Snipes into selling me 2 sets of the 16x8.5 Steeda Hexcentrics that were made by Rial in Germany.These were discontinued as well.If you decide you want to get rid of the Revolutions let me know;-) The Rials fit the SN-95 a little better than the Fox but I was happy to get the rims from Chuck.He also had a set of trick magnesium 16x8 that fit the Cobra R's he wanted to sell.The Revolutions were made for the 93R originally and Steeda sold them for $249 ea in 93/94.

NJ2000R

Certified FORD Fanatic!
Established Member
great car for a great price! after seeing steve's 95rcobra at our jersey meet n cruise, I got the itch to find a 95R....lotsa luck with it!

HAMMRHEAD

Established Member
Originally posted by NJ2000R
great car for a great price! after seeing steve's 95rcobra at our jersey meet n cruise, I got the itch to find a 95R....lotsa luck with it!

I have one right here, one state over, just waiting for someone who can not only appreciate it, but use it as it was designed to be used!

*Put about 10 miles on it last night, and it runs/drives Perfect !!:coolman:

FOR SALE: 1995 Cobra R 820 miles +/- 1 Owner Exhaust;shifter; K&N filter. All original parts retained in as-new condition.

[email protected]

Last edited:

RapidRunner

Established Member
CobraR77

Hey that price is the cheapest 95R I have ever seen!!!!!!!!!

Also your konis are at Jim Dingells at least he used to have some for sale.

Wheels with wrong part number are at DPM in MI. Cheap guy there owns 3 93 Rs.....

You car is already a little gone, no one is going to look at the back of your wheels :cool:

Good Luck,

Oh yeah I paid 9500 for my 93 R and sold 2k of parts on ebay.
:coolman:

R-CODE

Established Member
R-MODEL

RapidRunner,
You mentioned something about a (cheap) guy that owns 3 '93R's in MI; what else do you know about his cars and why hasn't he been invited to this forum?
Is it possible to contact the gentlemen? Also you mention on another post about Steve #93 '93R, he helped me with the install on my pulleys on my '93R, He and Mark W. both had there R's at Autorama last weekend they looked great, Steve got 1st place trophy for his class it's a beauty.
Lets get some more R members over!
rcode.jpg

93SVTCobra

Established Member
I believe he is referring to the guy who owns Kar Kraft. I know he has at least two. I believe he also has a third which is a development 93 Cobra R which doesn't have a powertrain. I think he was asking somewhere between $10-15k for it.

www.karkraft.com

RapidRunner

Established Member
Nope sorry about "cheap", I meant guys parts are cheap not him. His Name is Mike he runs Diversified Products Marketing out by you guys, I drove my car there when I bought some stuff. He did not believe I bought my R for so "cheap" . He has three now, he owned 4 but sold one back to Don Jr at D and D (there also) (Don Jr also owns two), he bought his fathers car (Don Sr) back from Mike at DPM. Mike at DPM bought the KarKraft car. My godnes it is going to confuse me... hahha

Mike at DPM also has a very cool 93R factory poster like the ones given to employees, but it is hardmounted on a fiberboard never seen another like it. He knows his stuff and was trying to correct all the errors in the Cobra ID book on the 93 R. I don't think he drives them thou.

Wish I was back in MI, would be fun to go cruise with you guys who drive them down graf or dream cruise. WOuld blow awy people to see 4-7 93 R going down the Road, Might make the magazines hahhah

Also just to see if the 00 or 95 guys are reading this far, have you seen a 93 Rs tailights lately hahhahahah:bash: :burn:

Cobra-R

Established Member
Originally posted by RapidRunner

Also just to see if the 00 or 95 guys are reading this far, have you seen a 93 Rs tailights lately hahhahahah:bash: :burn:

I caught it, Rapid. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

93SVTCobra

Established Member
Jim Demmer also has a 93 Cobra R which is track prepped.

Rapidrunner - I don't want to hear anything about Demmer!! :rollseyes

Looks like I will have to stop over and talk to Mike at Diversified.

SVT X 2

I C U
Established Member
R-CODE,
Damn that's a SWEET '93 R!
That thing makes me think I'd trade my regular '94 in on a '93 'R'....

R-CODE

Established Member
R-MODEL

SVT X 2 , Thanks for the thumbs up, i bought it from a great R anthusiast (95RCobra) and just want to keep it the way he had keep it. The car handles and drives as good as it looks. No complaints! Thanks again; i'll try to get more photos of it soon this time from a different angle.

R-CODE

Established Member
R-MEET

Hey 93SVTCobra, you definently have to get a hold of some of these R owners in Michigan; Texas and New Jersey had there R meet now we need to show them The Detroit Michigan "R" meet (were the car was conceived):burnout: Keep in touch;-)

93SVTCobra

Established Member
We are planning a rather large car show at Jack Demmer Ford on June 15th. Perhaps we could have it then. I know that Jim Demmer will have his 3 Cobra R's there (93,95,00) and I'm sure I could get Mike to bring down at least one of his. Perhaps we could get Dean to drive his 95R up from Indiana.

I'll even add a Cobra R class to the show if we can get more than 5 R's!

R-CODE

Established Member
R-MODEL

Thank-You Mark Wilson my RSVP is in the mail; I will be there June 15th. There is also a fellow R owner in your city that has a 00'R but i can't think of the name?.... :idea: Keep in touch.

Users who are viewing this thread