New twist in California smog test

CompOrange04GT

Anyone have a strap on my girl can use on me?
Established Member
Same in tx. It's getting ****ing crazy. Im thinking about bailing, honestly.
Thats really only like 5-6 places.

houston, dallas, austin, fort worth, and maybe 1-2 others.

In East Texas ( other than Tyler) its still okay

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
This just gives me more of a reason to tell people to get out of that place if you’re an enthusiast. However on that same coin.. Florida is filling up quick. My ride to work used to take 15-20 minutes. It’s now taking 45-60.
It's funny you mention that. I was just talking about that with my step daughter. I was telling her that her Mom wants to move to San Diego. I'm like "F" that LMAO! I said Florida is better. My step daughter said she would rather go to Florida as well.

So, I told her we used to live in Tampa from 01 to 05. I told her it was pretty nice back then. However, I can imagine how crowded it is now. And one thing that pisses me off more than anything is sitting in traffic LOL.

I would rather drive 20 miles while moving than sitting in traffic and traveling 1 mile LOL.

I'm lucky. It takes me 15 minuets to get to work in the early morning and the same 15 minuets to get home in the mid afternoon.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
2000 and newer cars just need to be plugged in and scanned for monitors. There's a 30 second rev test too. 1999 and older need the tail pipe sniffer.

Yep, that's how it's done in TX Bob. There's good and bad about that too. From my understanding a tuner can go in and change the settings on your monitors. So, this might help with the computer inspection process. Won't help with the pipe sniffer though.

However, if your car is stored and the battery dies and it is inspection time you will need to drive your car for a good distance in order for your monitors to reset. If you go for an inspection and your monitors come up "not ready" you will not pass (Don't ask me how I know LOL).

01yellercobra

Established Member
Yep, that's how it's done in TX Bob. There's good and bad about that too. From my understanding a tuner can go in and change the settings on your monitors. So, this might help with the computer inspection process. Won't help with the pipe sniffer though.

However, if your car is stored and the battery dies and it is inspection time you will need to drive your car for a good distance in order for your monitors to reset. If you go for an inspection and your monitors come up "not ready" you will not pass (Don't ask me how I know LOL).
When I was originally doing everything to my car I had it set up to pass all the monitors. Even when I went with the Whipple and return set up all the monitors would set. Obviously now I don't worry about it.

I've pondered making it a choice for the person. I'm pretty sure my car would pass a sniffer no problem. But then I'd had the scan done on all my other cars.

Been there done that. Not that I minded having to drive it to set the monitors.

Adower

Established Member
For people in California.

create a LLC, this is the easiest Montana Registered Agent | $49 Montana Registered Agent

Register car to LLC.

Get Commercial INS.

enjoy the car. Doing this for the past 10 years.

If you have questions go to a cars and coffee anywhere in southern California. Ask the old rich guys why they have south Dakota / Montana plates.
Can you provide extra details on this?

If the vehicle is registered to the LLC, do you have to jump through extra hoops to get commercial insurance?

Kevins89notch

Established Member
For people in California.

create a LLC, this is the easiest Montana Registered Agent | $49 Montana Registered Agent

Register car to LLC.

Get Commercial INS.

enjoy the car. Doing this for the past 10 years.

If you have questions go to a cars and coffee anywhere in southern California. Ask the old rich guys why they have south Dakota / Montana plates.

Except CA legit has a nark hotline: Here’s how to report vehicles with out-of-state plates

Georgia isn't fan of it either, being it's a felony to defraud the state:

In other areas, sure, go for it, I would... just not in CA or GA

wckdvnm

Established Member
Except CA legit has a nark hotline: Here’s how to report vehicles with out-of-state plates

I continuously tell people this but no one listens. CA’s narc hotline and if you get stopped and have a out of state plate with a cali license you are screwed. The program was updated and has been in place since 2018 I wanna say and it made me not want to risk it as it’s a fine that’s rather large. Even AZ has a law preventing out of state plates for vehicles with drivers who have AZ licenses; the ticket is like $800.

Kevins89notch

Established Member
I continuously tell people this but no one listens. CA’s narc hotline and if you get stopped and have a out of state plate with a cali license you are screwed. The program was updated and has been in place since 2018 I wanna say and it made me not want to risk it as it’s a fine that’s rather large. Even AZ has a law preventing out of state plates for vehicles with drivers who have AZ licenses; the ticket is like $800.
Every state is different, and every owner is also different. If it's a Veyron or so that you drive twice a month to cars and coffee, you can likely get away with Montana plates in a lot of states. If you're a doctor with a new R8 and going to daily it... you're greatly increasing the odds of getting in serious trouble.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
When I was originally doing everything to my car I had it set up to pass all the monitors. Even when I went with the Whipple and return set up all the monitors would set. Obviously now I don't worry about it.

I've pondered making it a choice for the person. I'm pretty sure my car would pass a sniffer no problem. But then I'd had the scan done on all my other cars.

Been there done that. Not that I minded having to drive it to set the monitors.

That's awesome you can do it yourself Bob. However, I was trying to indicate that people who do not have cats need some of those monitors set up differently :D.

So, a person can pass computer wise, not so much sniffer test wise.

tistan

Established Member

**** them. Ga charges full sales tax on a used vehicle. It is not based on the price you paid for the vehicle, it is on the states book value of the vehicle. So if your parents sign over their $10k car to a kid and kid goes to register it, they are going to get a $700 bill at the dmv. Ga used to have an exemption for private sales, but they got rid of that too. It is double taxation by the state, which is illegal.

01yellercobra

Established Member
It seems like the fine is based on the registration fee. Last time I looked the fine was like $100. Given what the registration cost and what my "smog" was going to cost, it was worth rolling the dice for me.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
**** them. Ga charges full sales tax on a used vehicle. It is not based on the price you paid for the vehicle, it is on the states book value of the vehicle. So if your parents sign over their $10k car to a kid and kid goes to register it, they are going to get a $700 bill at the dmv. Ga used to have an exemption for private sales, but they got rid of that too. It is double taxation by the state, which is illegal.
That's some real bullshit there.

rborden

Established Member
I must be too old, I don't get it :
" The regulations require, in part, Smog Check inspectors to use a biometric palm scanner instead of a password to log in and perform a Smog Check on the BAR On-Board Diagnostic Inspection System (BAR-OIS). "
So the smog jockey logs in using the palm scan, how does that force him to:
Do the test ?
Do the test correctly ??
Because his palm print is attached to every single smog test, that vehicle’s vin #. If something ever comes up, they can go back and look at his history and the vehicles he smog tested for accountability and compliance.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member

No one listens because it's illegal what CA and other states are trying to do to those who operate businesses in other states.

I have 1099 income and as long as im permitted and licensed from a business perspective where I pull that 1099 income from, how the **** is CA going to tell me where to tag my vehicles? They can get ****ed.

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
This seems like a lot of ****ing effort for what is essentially a nothing burger in terms of air population. How about they start testing all the freight ships.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
What happens if you mushroom stamp the palm reader? Asking for a friend.

Users who are viewing this thread