New Viper is Very Disappointing...

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
HISSMAN said:
Last time I checked, Dodge is not the only company that has to pass emissions testing.

Yeah, but most other engines are at a higher level of tune than the vipers engine. How many other factory engines come with 500hp, but can be modified to make upwards of ~2000rwhp on a factory block. None. Or can make 1000rwhp on pump gas and not need 20+psi and race gas?

Not being arrogant, just pointing out there is truly no replacement for displacement and you cannot deny the Vipers potential

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Modifying is one thing. I know that the engine it's self is strong and durable, but so is a V-tec. I am just stating that for me to pay upwards of 80K for the car it better at least come with 600-650 HP with an engine that size. I feel the same way about the FORD GT and other exotics. The cost of the car does not match the performance out of the box. That is all I am saying. If I bought a viper, chances are I would not mod it, so I would be looking for the best bang for the buck. The only thing I would probably do would be minor bolt on's and suspension if needed. IMO the New Zo6 is the best bang for the buck for a car in that class, but the viper is the best looking. :) (all years and models.)

-Jeff

Last edited:

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
HISSMAN said:
Modifying is one thing. I know that the engine it's self is strong and durable, but so is a V-tec. I am just stating that for me to pay upwards of 80K for the car it better at least come with 600-650 HP with an engine that size. I feel the same way about the FORD GT and other exotics. The cost of the car does not match the performance out of the box. That is all I am saying. If I bought a viper, chances are I would not mod it, so I would be looking for the best bang for the buck. The only thing I would probably do would be minor bolt on's and suspension if needed. IMO the New Zo6 is the best bang for the buck for a car in that class, but the viper is the best looking. :) (all years and models.)

-Jeff

Good points :beer:

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
so your saying that if a manufacturer puts a bigger engine into a car they must up the performance to match the size? i dont see a reason for that. also consider that while the viper and Z06 make 510 and 505(nearly the same)hp, how much more torque is the viper making? displacement = torque. the 4.6l and 5.4l mod ford V8s make 300hp yet which one makes more torque. horsepower isnt the basis of a car. and if you still want to keep going by this standard then the mustang should be making atleast 450+hp stock considering the SRT4 makes 240 stock. HP per liter doesnt mean anything. and i think the viper is putting up about the right numbers for its price as well as the GT. but the vette, thats just a steal. nothing comes close to the performance values of it. someone finally took the title away from the cobra.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
525 tq for the viper, and 470 tq for the Vette. Really that is not that big of a difference, and for the vette to compete with the Viper that is all of the power and Tq it needs, and more, cause you see, it is faster in the 0-60 and 1/4 mile. So your displacement equals tq can go right out of the window, because 65 lb ft is nothing when you look at the difference in displacement and overall leveraged torque that a V10 has the potential to produce over a V8. Oh, and your argument makes no sense. But I am not going to get into explaining why, I am bored. I will say this, the mustang is NA, and the SRT4 is turbocharged. The theory kinda goes like this, you have 10 levers reducing overal work in a V10 vs 8 levers in a V8. That is a 20% advantage given to the viper. But it is only making 10.5% more Tq.

-Jeff

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
There is more than just displacement that makes power, it is an overal cooperation among all parts. The intake and head design. Type of material used for rotating parts, etc, etc. But yes, in theory given two different displacements, the higher displacement has the highest potential for greater tq or HP. Another thing to consider, and I will let you ponder this one. If a larger displacement engine has a shorter stroke than a smaller displacement will it have the potential to make more tq? Something to thing about.

-Jeff

Last edited:
Fourcam330 said:
LOL, one thing's for sure, the new SRT10 is the Z06s bitch. It won't take much to get a GT500 to walk all over the new Viper coupe either, for $90K that's a damn shame. Time to step it up Dodge.

Disappointing? The Viper weighs almost 300lbs more than the Z06. It has a 3.08 final drive versus a 3.42 for the Z06. If they put some gears in the Viper, they would be running neck and neck. Besides . . . I'm sure the boys at SRT are ready to counter. That 8.0L engine hasn't reached its max yet. But you have to hand it to the guys at Chevy, they sure have built a reasonably priced monster. I expect Ford to take the war to Chevy's doorstep with our Shelby Cobra in the years to come. We've got the right power plant, all we need to do now is put our bull on a diet and give the car a '00 Cobra R suspension for starters.

Users who are viewing this thread