New Wheels and maintainence question.

EvanStang

the "Hit Man"
Established Member
I just ordered 18 inch Cobra R Black Chrome replica's. I spoke to the manufacture about the finish because I have never had chrome or black chrome wheels. He told me that the wheels have been clear coated. He said most people have problems with oxidatation and finish issues because they don't keep the wheels clean and the clear coat gets eaten up by salt and brake dust.

So, I want to get the longest life out of these wheels and was curious if anyone has a wheel sealant/protectant for clear coated wheels that they use on a regular basis? Obviously I don't want to use anything with abrasives that would knock down the life of the clearcoat. I guess I am looking for a clearcoat protectant.

Any recommendations? Thanks. These black chrome Cobra R wheels are going on my 2003 DSG Vert. Should arrive next week.

Also, I have always had 17 inch Cobra wheels. Do I need to be aware of any issues that might come with 18 wheels, tire size or fitment issues?

SpectorV

Established Member
ive heard black chrome flakes off after a while~ no idea if thats true. I keep my rims coated (when I had chrome) and I never had any issues at all out of them (they were AFS brand). I always cleaned them once a week as well and dusted them off every other day (as I dust the car off) but I am sure you wont have to go that far to keep them nice.

SVT2122

Established Member
I would just treat the wheels like you treat your paint. Wash/Clay/Polish/seal or wax them. There's special sealers made for wheels, but I've used Meg's NXT 2.0 on wheels, and it works very well, you'll just need to apply it a little more frequently than a specific wheel sealer.

It sounds like you're a little freaked out about it, I wouldn't stress it, just keep up with them and they'll last you.

jtm

now more boost included
Established Member
poorboys wheel sealant, works good and lasts a lot longer than wax

Users who are viewing this thread