New wheels and tires but having clearance issues.

Tight Lines

Established Member
I have posted this on another forum as well as FB hoping to get some clarification. I received my new Forgestars from Howey who have done numerous set ups like mine (20x11 +53). I was also told and read that many have 315/35/20 MPSS on this setup with no modifications. I jacked up the car and used jack stands on the frame rails and let the suspension droop down. I barely can get the wheel on to the lugs because it's hitting the bumpstop bracket. This is happening on both sides as I have adjusted my PHB to center the wheels. As we spoke on the phone we thought the tires seemed to be mismarked or a new model with extended rim protectors. Measuring the width of the mounted tire it is 13". Here are a couple pics. Am I missing something as I purchased not wanting to modify anything. Btw, both Howey and DT have been helpful, just would like to figure this out. Hope I am explaining myself well enough to you guys. Any thoughts as I hope it isn't something stupid I'm doing as I know many have this setup.

Here is the wheel barely threaded on hitting bumpstop and extending past the fender.
85284ba91c47a8e2e9d1a04b11188bd8_zps9cf6e76b.gif

Showing rim protector.
decf08f5f9c63480b2876676ea34861c_zps6c3829d8.gif

Width of tire.
7551ca60e93e2197d389512a1a3d289a_zps0fc21507.gif

Confirmation of size of tire.
d4d311d36cfa2001794ce179dbdfc903_zps3bb9cfa0.gif

Actual setup.
1212a6a8a8a60adf7f8b0ff0f986b0a3_zps235256fa.gif

zporta

KB INSIDE
Established Member
it will probably clear if you load the suspension by using jack stands on the axel. The reason its hitting the bracket it because your suspension if fully unloaded.

you might want to try installing them while the rear is sitting on jackstands

enormous

Established Member
I am trying to visualize your tire hitting the bumpstop and sticking out 1 inch (+) past the fender. Something is not right here.
EDIT: I see now. Losen the lug nuts and place your jack under the pumkin and load the suspension upward then tighten lugnuts.

Last edited:

Kenneth

Established Member
it will probably clear if you load the suspension by using jack stands on the axel. The reason its hitting the bracket it because your suspension if fully unloaded.

you might want to try installing them while the rear is sitting on jackstands

I am trying to visualize your tire hitting the bumpstop and sticking out 1 inch (+) past the fender. Something is not right here.
EDIT: I see now. Losen the lug not and place your jack under the pumkin and load the suspension upward then tighten lugnuts.

I hope this os his only problem being that I'm ordering some Forgestars tomorrow.

Tight Lines

Established Member
So what happens when you turn on inclines or bumps? Am I to understand that it won't unload enough to hit these bumpstops while driving? One other thing, I thought you weren't suppose to jack up by the pumpkin. Thanks for answering the questions I appreciate the help.

enormous

Established Member
So what happens when you turn on inclines or bumps? Am I to understand that it won't unload enough to hit these bumpstops while driving? One other thing, I thought you weren't suppose to jack up by the pumpkin. Thanks for answering the questions I appreciate the help.

Your car is on jackstands right? you a only jacking the pumkin againt the spring and shock pressure to raise it enough to clear the bumpstps to install your wheels, not jacking the whole car weight from the rear end pumpkin.

Tight Lines

Established Member
Your car is on jackstands right? you a only jacking the pumkin againt the spring and shock pressure to raise it enough to clear the bumpstps to install your wheels, not jacking the whole car weight from the rear end pumpkin.

That makes sense. So I don't have to worry if the suspension unloads and the wheels hitting the bumpstop while driving? Is there that much travel where I don't have to worry.

R1Lello

Established Member
Looks like your backspacing is wrong, send them back. 11" wheel - you want 8.25 b.s., no less than 8.0 for sure. Check it, run a straight edge across the back of the wheel, then a tape measure down to the mounting hub area. Less that 8.0, send them back!!! but 8.25 is perfect.......and trust me on this. Looking at those pics, I'm going to guess you're number will come in at no better than 7.5.........maybe 7.75", again not enough for an 11" wheel

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
That's the reason I removed my bumpstop brackets. You won't have an issue with the suspension loaded, but that's not to say it can't rub if the axle droops enough.

Tight Lines

Established Member
Thanks guys for the information. Now to find a how to on the BS bracket removal.

Does any company sell the relocation brackets?

Last edited:

gallopingford

Hi, my name is Cam
Established Member
I used the kit from ZOMBEAST - http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...-some-rear-bump-stop-relocation-brackets.html

As for removing the brackets, this is how I did it. First get yourself a spotweld cutter.

IMG_4246_zps4cdc6d36.jpg

IMG_4251_zpsc40e82e8.jpg

There are 4 welds on top and 5 on the bottom of the bracket. Just take your time and grind into them. Pack your patience, but remember this is the cleanest way to do it. Some have just cut the bracket and bashed it with a hammer too, but I prefer a more surgical approach.

IMG_4237_zpsacb9ee94.jpg

IMG_4260_zpsb175ee3a.jpg

IMG_4284_zps3d203487.jpg

Grinded down anything left after the bracket was removed.

IMG_4285_zps33deac27.jpg

IMG_4287_zps0c1c4282.jpg

Now where my OCD kicks in. It's just gotta look factory.

IMG_4273_zps03816a6f.jpg

IMG_4274_zps084ff69d.jpg

Then finished it off in gloss black

IMG_4276_zps4922e6c6.jpg

Pictures of the relocation kit.

IMG_4248_zps4c523cd7.jpg

IMG_4244_zps85ee5e52.jpg

IMG_4244_zps85ee5e52.jpg

Then whala, that's how you fit these turds.

IMG_4354_zps6863def6.jpg

IMG_2399_zps4f796525.jpg

zporta

KB INSIDE
Established Member
i did the same thing but with a cheap crappy kit from NAPA.

take them off!

dont want to load the suspension every time you take a wheel off

Tight Lines

Established Member
Thanks Ghost. Looks like I will need to find the cutting tools and some Race Red paint. Thanks again guys.

cluscher

Established Member
Sorry to hear you went through this. I went through the exact same scenario a few years back with the same wheels and vendor. I was told my situation was beyond an aberration; it was enigma. Sending them back was not a viable option because Forgestar would need to "find" that they screwed up on the offset. This involved shipping costs back and forth, etc. I just removed the bumpstop brackets and the rears were fine. However, the fronts were also dangerously close to rubbing the front Brembos. I had to get a thin spacer for the fronts for my new "custom" wheels. Although The players in my situation were helpful and understanding, I certainly wasn't offered the type of remedy I hoped for or expected. Again, sorry you went through this too and I guess my situation wasn't an enigma. Check those fronts! You may need a spacer. Good luck and enjoy the wheels. They look great and I eventually forgot about all the headache that came with them.

Users who are viewing this thread