New wheels on project "Sniper"

mustangmike02

SVTless
Established Member
ttt. i know the mans busy but i just like to keep this page in the top 5. i know once he wants to update he can find the thread himself but im just anxious to see any sort of update on this car.

NITMARE

Established Member
Nice to see there is still some enthusiasm about the build and thanks for the kind words!

This is where I currently am with the build. The motor is on the stand and the intake, vlave covers, pulley's, and all the parts I had to fab (oil pan, k-member, trans mount, linkages, etc.) are off getting powder coated. The car has all the glass pulled and is getting the engine pay and cage painted. This should all be done within the week.

The rear Forgelines are back at Forgeline getting widened 2 inches. They should be back by the end of the week. It sounds like it's really torn down and it is...but once I have everything I can do the FINAL assembly.

Someone asked about the paint on the car. It's hard to tell in the pics I posted cause it's so dirty and it needs a final buff done but that is 5,000 dollar repaint on the body. It's a House of Kolors Jet black as opposed to a Ford factory black.

Someone was also talking about wanting to do this swap themselves. I will try to give you a brief run down of what it will take to make this swap happen

- I fabricated a k-member with lower center section to accomodate the height of the motor

- I I had to recess the firewall 10 inches to get the weight of the motor back far enough for the car not to excessively dive.

- I had to re-fabricate the trans tunnel

- Fab motor and trans mounts

- Fab the headers

- Fab the oil pan and pickup tube

- Make pedal assembly from scratch. The motor sitting where it does will not allow the the stock pedal assembly to work. You will also need to fab up a firewall mount for the clutch master cylinder as the Viper uses a hydraulic clutch

- I fabbed the shifter

- Added a 10 point cage in order to regain much needed rigidity after cutting the firewall

- I ran a complete Aeromotive fuel system with sumped tank and A1000 pump. A Stock Viper engine will be far too much for mustang fuel system

- Had to have lines made that mate the Vipers PS pump to the Ford hydroboost system and steering rack.

- Fabricate throttle linkage. Fab steering shaft that will reach the racks new location

- And of course fab literally dozens of odds and ends mounting brackets and whatnot.

I started this build in the summer of 06 and I am just finally getting it wrapped up. I almost threw in the towel SO many time. My attentions to detail is quite possibly my biggest flaw in the essence of a speedy process. I insisted that the build look like a factory package when it was done. I wanted everything to fit under a stock non cowled hood. I wanted it the drive train to sit tucked up into the car and I wanted the exhaust tucked tight to the floor. I want people to walk all around the car and have no idea anything is done to it till they look under the hood. And even then I want the motor to look like it is supposed to be there...in my opinion what makes a car like this a success is looking at it and trying to figure out what was even done to make it all happen because it looks that clean.

Since I don't really have any new pics to post till it's done here are a couple of the oil pan I fabbed right before I took it to the coater.

036hs1.jpg

040vt9.jpg

NITMARE

Established Member
Yeah, he went with those huge rims cause he's gonna need room for the HUGE brakes.

The brakes are on the car on page 11. 14" Alcon/ Roush's

And as for the rear wheels being "too narrow"...that is why they are off being widened;-)

85sTaNg

4eyeFreaK
Established Member
I started this build in the summer of 06 and I am just finally getting it wrapped up. I almost threw in the towel SO many time. My attentions to detail is quite possibly my biggest flaw in the essence of a speedy process. I insisted that the build look like a factory package when it was done. I wanted everything to fit under a stock non cowled hood. I wanted it the drive train to sit tucked up into the car and I wanted the exhaust tucked tight to the floor. I want people to walk all around the car and have no idea anything is done to it till they look under the hood. And even then I want the motor to look like it is supposed to be there...in my opinion what makes a car like this a success is looking at it and trying to figure out what was even done to make it all happen because it looks that clean.

That, in my opinion, is what seperates good builds from amazing builds. It sounds like this beast will turn out nothing short of jaw-dropping, can't wait to see it finished.

nighthawk756

Who? Me??
Established Member
Awesome project man!! Also, great welds on the pan bro! :beer:

The wheels are slightly bigger than I would have went with my self. I would have probably went 18's max, but that's just me. They still look clean with the whole project.

Keep us updated bro! Good job! :thumbsup:

NITMARE

Established Member
Thanks for the weld props...it's kind of amusing to look at the VERY first parts that I made for the car compared to the stuff I've made over the past few months. My fab and metal working skills have come a long way so I guess the "practice makes perfect" moto proved accurate in tis instance.

I just got called by my powder coater and he said I can pick everything up tonight. I'll post pics up of everything and then it's on to final assembly :)

nighthawk756

Who? Me??
Established Member
Thanks for the weld props...it's kind of amusing to look at the VERY first parts that I made for the car compared to the stuff I've made over the past few months. My fab and metal working skills have come a long way so I guess the "practice makes perfect" moto proved accurate in tis instance.

I just got called by my powder coater and he said I can pick everything up tonight. I'll post pics up of everything and then it's on to final assembly :)

Yeah, it usually takes someone with welding experience to notice welds on a regular basis. Practice always makes perfect with welding.

Yeah, keepus updated with pics. ;-)

garretts02gt

Established Member

ive been tuned in for a while and i know youll be super busy putting that jigsaw back together but would you mind at least taking pictures during the buildup too? i would love to not only see pictures (and videos of course:pop:) of the final product but would also love to see the different stages of the build. maybe when things settle down you can post the stages? or possibly during the build if youre so inclined? :-D:-D:-D

Users who are viewing this thread