newb ipod and napster ?...

nitestalker1982

Raider Nation Member
Established Member
does anyone know if "napster to go" work with an ipod? am i missing something, napster does not recognize my ipod, so i can't transfer any music... anyone? :shrug:

hunterp

Established Member
Musicmatch Jukebox also has/had an iPod plug-in. However, you could only load up MP3s that you ripped off CDs. You couldn't load songs protected by the Microsoft DRM scheme.

hunterp

Established Member
nitestalker1982 said:
yeah, it doesn't look like napster is compatible with ipod though... damn, im gonna have to sell it. anyone want to buy an ipod 20gb?...

Why not try out the iTunes music store and see what you think. They have a huge selection and the usability of the store is outstanding. I don't usually stump for Apple since I don't think most of their products are all that innovative, but this is one case where I've been surprised. The other thing is that while you pay 99 cents per track, you get to keep them permanently and burn them to CDs, whereas with the Napster one, unless I'm reading it wrong, if you ever cancel your subscription, you lose all your songs.

Captain Steve

Established Member
Use I-Tunes. You'll get 95% of the music you want from I-Tunes. For the 5% that you can't find, get them from Napster, rip it to CD and import it back into I-Tunes as a MP3.

Big Top GT

Jackstand Racer
Established Member
Captain Steve said:
Use I-Tunes. You'll get 95% of the music you want from I-Tunes. For the 5% that you can't find, get them from Napster, rip it to CD and import it back into I-Tunes as a MP3.

Does that work and if so have you done it?

One of the reasons I'm not all crazy about the IPod is it's a dollar a song. You can get Napster for a whole month for 15.

A

Captain Steve

Established Member
Honestly, I haven't tried. I don't use Napster.

IF they allow you to burn songs to CD, they yes, it will work.

With I-Tunes, you have to burn the songs that you downloaded in the Protected AAC format to CD, then re-import them as MP3s to allow you to use them in another program.

nitestalker1982

Raider Nation Member
Established Member
the only thing with napster is that you can't burn them into a cd, you can pay $10 a month and only listen to them in your desktop, or pay $15 a month, and load them in you mp3 player. I already have hundreds of songs that I downloaded from napster, but it doesn't show ipod as one of their compatible mp3 players. I would try itunes, but after downloading 20 songs for $20, its starts getting expensive, especially when napster only charges $15 for unlimited songs (well, most of them).

KDog

Established Member
I have a 20GB iPod and love it. I found Napster's latest media campaign interesting - the whole "if you hold 15,000 songs you'll spend $15,000". I thought about it for a while and came up with this:

- 90% of my mp3's are from songs which I already owned the CD, and ripped into the iPod. Cost - free. (well, sort of. I bought the CDs a long time ago. ;-) )

- Napster is $15/month unlimited. iTunes is $.99/song. On any given month, I don't buy 15 songs. So why pay $15/month when I can pay, say $10 for songs I want that month, buy nothing the next month (no cost), $5 the next month, etc. You see where I'm going. Some of you this may not apply to since some people are major audiophiles and need every release that comes out. This is just my scenario.

If you do want to use Napster, you can burn the songs to a CD and rip them back into the iPod. I suggest using CD-RW so you don't waste all your CDs. hehe. Somewhat of a pain, but it works. Personally I've found everything I needed on iTunes so far, except for bands like Evanescence which don't appear to be on Napster either.

ixi

What Would Fonzi Do?
Established Member
Just so everybody knows, you have to keep renewing the $15/month napster, if you dont, all of your MP3s will go away. All their MP3s are timed, so they go away after a month, you cant just download a million songs in one month and never pay again, you have to keep renewing them. I'd go with iTunes. Just download Limewire(free) and get all the songs you want.

Captain Steve

Established Member
ixi said:
Just so everybody knows, you have to keep renewing the $15/month napster, if you dont, all of your MP3s will go away. All their MP3s are timed, so they go away after a month, you cant just download a million songs in one month and never pay again, you have to keep renewing them. I'd go with iTunes. Just download Limewire(free) and get all the songs you want.

Ha! So you can buy songs for a buck, or rent them for 15 bucks a month.

Users who are viewing this thread