newb questions

sn0man1

Established Member
1. What are the differences between the v6 and GT? (mainly mechanical)
2. If I were to get a v6, could I put a 4.6L or other v8 in it easily?
3. Is the stock v8 good? (what kind of HP could it handle for 50k miles)
4. Can you get the different emblems aftermarket?
5. How good is the stock transmission? (weight and HP handling)
6. Could I change the transmission easily?
7. Can I change the gauges to GT or GT500 gauges easily? (with mycolor of course)
8. When do you think the GT500 bumpers sideskirts hood and other panels will be available aftermarket?
9. Are the v6 and v8 computers the same, just with different info in them?

there's more i could ask, but i'll wait for answer before I need to ask more.

thankyou guys...

03Terminator

03 Red Fire Cobra
Established Member
sn0man1 said:
1. What are the differences between the v6 and GT? (mainly mechanical)
2. If I were to get a v6, could I put a 4.6L or other v8 in it easily?
3. Is the stock v8 good? (what kind of HP could it handle for 50k miles)
4. Can you get the different emblems aftermarket?
5. How good is the stock transmission? (weight and HP handling)
6. Could I change the transmission easily?
7. Can I change the gauges to GT or GT500 gauges easily? (with mycolor of course)
8. When do you think the GT500 bumpers sideskirts hood and other panels will be available aftermarket?
9. Are the v6 and v8 computers the same, just with different info in them?

there's more i could ask, but i'll wait for answer before I need to ask more.

thankyou guys...

Here's my 2 cents worth, buy a GT and forget the V6. Not because it's a bad car, but too me it's just not worth the time and money to try and convert it over to a V8. The stock 4.6L in the GT can easily handle 350 plus NA HP and not have any issues. Road and Track recently tested a Steeda GT which had a cold air intake, computer tune, underdrive pullys, JBA shorty headers and Steeda axle back exhaust. The car made 367HP (flywheel) which should be good enough to get the car into the 12's (with a skilled driver). Now just think if the same car had full length headers and an x pipe!!! Now a blower on the other hand is a different story. Without the beefed up internals like the 03/04 Cobra's, I'd say any thing over 8 lbs of boost and your asking for trouble. Trans wise I'd say you would be fine with a NA motor. I was actually wondering myself if the 6spd out of the 03/04 Cobra's would bolt up to the new GT. Any one know???

For styling enhancements check out CDC, they make a ton of stuff for the new GT and more manufacturers are coming on board every day!!!

Talus

LookingThroughAWideAngle
Established Member
wow :nonono:

the trans will be lucky to hold 400 rhwp, depends on your driving, a motor swap would suck because its going to take a lot of time and effort. emblems can be switched, dash? i dont know. the aftermarket is going to put out GT500 "look" stuff probably by the this coming Fall. i'm guessing the trans will bolt up. its a tremec.

sn0man1

Established Member
I guess the reason I was asking was, I like the look of the GT500 but not the setup. I don't want something that heavy. So my thought was, if I was gonna build my own car, with different suspension brakes wheels, why not just get a v6. However, if I did go with the GT, is the engine in there light, for a 4.6, I look at FRP catalog, and there are like 5 different 4.6 blocks. I could even get a dry sump and some such. However since the stock engine can handle 350 rwhp i'll be ok. basically i wanna build a GT350 that is really light (maybe fiberglass front fenders even) and has really good power, but not insane.

call me crazy, but can it be done, and is the GT the right platform to start from?

Users who are viewing this thread