Newbie here with a ST

5pointohh

ballin' on a budget
Established Member
Well I finally broke down and traded my 2012 FX2 Supercrew in on a 2013 Focus ST. Been thinking about it for a while, and finally pulled the trigger! I was spending almost $100 a week on gas in the truck, now it should be half. The focus is a amazing DD, and it has a pair of balls too! I got the ST2 package, and love everything about the car. I am curious if theres anything I can do to make the turbo sound louder? I really dont want to void warranty now. I was thinking of having the resonator taken out in the exhaust. Has anyone tried this?

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
if you take out the resonators you will NOT make the turbo sound louder, you WILL make the exhaust sound louder

clbailey

Established Member
Factory sells a resonator delete kit. Youtube Cobb st exhaust, its the only company so far that makes a kit that doesn't sound like a 88 cavalier.

5pointohh

ballin' on a budget
Established Member
Thanks for the info. I like how quiet the car is now, I really don't want to make it any louder. Is there any other ways to make the turbos make some noise? If not, no biggie. I will just enjoy the car :banana:

clbailey

Established Member
There also a guy on youtube that put a high flow catted downpipe and factory resonator delete and stock cat back and it didn't increase the total volume too much just let you hear the turbo a bit more.

Last edited:

SVT Rob

Established Member
From what I've been reading on the ST Forums, the CAI will make both the turbo and CRV/BOV louder. It doesn't seem to improve performance, though. Most folks have noticed a decrease in performance, if anything at all.

The stock turbo is a K03, it's fairly small. This is one reason why the car can build boost at a low RPM and it makes peak power around 5500 rpm. Put it in 5th or 6th around 35mph, and mat the gas pedal. You'll see 20psi at 1500rpm.

5pointohh

ballin' on a budget
Established Member
if you take out the resonators you will NOT make the turbo sound louder, you WILL make the exhaust sound louder

My friend had a 02 wrx we took the resonator out of. Although it increased the exhaust a bit, it made the turbo a bit louder.

5pointohh

ballin' on a budget
Established Member
Been doing some research on this. I took the top box lid off (which is a common free mod) and makes a little noise with the windows down. Im going to install a high flow filter and see what that does.

korizmo

I like Lamp
Established Member
Welcome! One of the only mods i'm going to do is a forge BOV or Turbosmart BOV. Thats how i'm going to hear my turbo better :) Easy swap and if any thing happens it will be quick to put the stock BPV back in

Smacked_in_ATL

Stock!
Established Member
I prefer the bypass system versus venting to atmosphere. BOVs sound ricey and I think the sound enhancement just with a green air filter is plenty.

SVT Rob

Established Member
I prefer the bypass system versus venting to atmosphere. BOVs sound ricey and I think the sound enhancement just with a green air filter is plenty.

Alot of time vent to atmosphere can cause driveability issues too.

Generally, unless you have a custom setup, venting your BOV vents metered air, and will definitely cause economy issues.

5pointohh

ballin' on a budget
Established Member
I ordered the green filter today, will be running it with the lid top off. I'm debating on a BOV. I like my factory warranty, and I don't want to tear the car up. IMO its damn near a perfect daily as it sits, I just wanted a little more turbo sound.

Jon96cobra

Established Member
Taking the lid off and adding a performance filter will give you sound with out worrying about warranty. Only down side doing this your engine is going to get hot air from under the hood.

korizmo

I like Lamp
Established Member
Here is the great thing with having a BOV for once. Every car I have owned (that was turbo) it needed a BPV or it would run rich between shifts and usually bog down. We don't own a MAF car where the air has to be recirculated/metered. What the BPV gives you is less lag in between shifts by keeping the turbo spoolin

This car is speed density:rockon::rockon::pepper:. God I hate MAF's

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread